Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2015, 13:23   #16
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuck View Post
You bet Lizzy. Thanks for the welcome. The Endeavor and Ericson suggestions were for the OP.
I am a total newb. Taking first saling lesson next Tuesday!!
Wish me luck.
D
Welcome to the Forum! I wish you luck! Please start a thread on your sailing's lessons, i am interested, and i am sure others are too as to how your lessons were structured, your experiences and so on.

Good luck!
__________________

__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 18:37   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Posts: 577
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

I have spent a lot of time on Pearsons including several 323's. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Too bad they quit making them.
Contact Wes Koenig wes@sanjuansailing.com
He is the most honest broker I have ever known and knows a lot about Pearsons.
I have no personal interest in referring him. He is just the best.
__________________

__________________
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 20:27   #18
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

1982 Pearson 323 sailboat for sale in Michigan This is one that i have been looking at.

I also received an answer for one that was listed for $22k and i offered a lower amount and the owner has accepted it contingent to a survey and my inspection.

So far it seems as if the Pearson might be the lady.

I am also looking at a Columbia 35
But how do you compare the two?
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 20:38   #19
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
i offered a lower amount and the owner has accepted it contingent to a survey and my inspection.
You made an offer on a boat you've never seen?
Before you've ever been on one and before your first ever sail?



I hope I'm misunderstanding "offer", cos where I am, that's legally binding so unless your surveyor has to dive to look at her ...
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 20:57   #20
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
You made an offer on a boat you've never seen?
Before you've ever been on one and before your first ever sail?



I hope I'm misunderstanding "offer", cos where I am, that's legally binding so unless your surveyor has to dive to look at her ...
I already bought her sight unseen! Just kidding!

Here it is not binding until you sign the dotted line. And i can make clauses that stipulate that all is contingent upon a favorable survey and a successful sailing in the spring all i have to do is put down a deposit. If the survey is bad or it doesn't sail as it is supposed to then my money back or lower price.

An offer is just a " would you take this much if all is well?" kind of banter, and nothing solid yet.

I made an offer on a 20k 323 and the owner accepted 15k now i need to go see her. If i like what i see and after my own green pea survey, then i get the real surveyor to inspect her. After that then it is contingent to a succesful sailing with a hired captain that will report to me if she is worthy or not.

thank you for your concerns!!
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 21:07   #21
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
all i have to do is put down a deposit.
How many deposits can you afford to make for just going to look at boats?
Why not just go see a few before you start making offers?

If you want to change your mind, away your deposit goes - and your budget takes an unnecessary hit.

Anyway - your choice, obviously, but since you've never even been sailing, it seems to me you're in an awful hurry eventho you have to wait nearly half a year anyway.

But that's me, sorry, don't mean to be telling you what to do, just don't understand why you're suddenly in such a hurry.

Honestly, once you step into 'the sailing world' your view on "the perfect boat" will probably change.
Better to not make any commitments / pay deposits until you actually know what you're buying.
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 21:08   #22
Registered User
 
snort's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Trunk (boot) of my car
Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!
Posts: 1,033
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

How about an Islander 32? Love that boat for that size.
__________________
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 21:54   #23
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,138
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
1982 Pearson 323 sailboat for sale in Michigan This is one that i have been looking at.

I also received an answer for one that was listed for $22k and i offered a lower amount and the owner has accepted it contingent to a survey and my inspection.

So far it seems as if the Pearson might be the lady.

I am also looking at a Columbia 35

But how do you compare the two?

The link here is not the Pearson you made an offer on, correct?
The linked boat looks clean and equipped well. But not a single pic of the original Volvo with only 700 hours. So few hours on a 30+ year old diesel is not necessarily a good thing.

What about a link to the boat on offer?

Columbia 35..... only five were built. Could only find line drawings online, no pictures. It's a flush deck with a high straight shearline and small coach house. Not very pretty to my eye. The numbers,... LWL, D/L, etc. are similar to the Pearson even though three feet longer. Fin keel and skeg hung rudder, too. But tiller steering unless its been changed. An extra foot of draft compared to the Pearson. Looks like an IOR design and will like to heel for best speed. Doubt you will get any first-hand feedback on the forum with only five built.

You really have jumped in with both feet. You're wide open as a case knife. I bet you drive like a maniac.

How many days ago did you decide you wanted to buy a sailboat?

I think a 323 is your best bet against making a big mistake. Or maybe a Catalina 30.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 21:55   #24
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
How many deposits can you afford to make for just going to look at boats?
Why not just go see a few before you start making offers?

If you want to change your mind, away your deposit goes - and your budget takes an unnecessary hit.

Anyway - your choice, obviously, but since you've never even been sailing, it seems to me you're in an awful hurry eventho you have to wait nearly half a year anyway.

But that's me, sorry, don't mean to be telling you what to do, just don't understand why you're suddenly in such a hurry.

Honestly, once you step into 'the sailing world' your view on "the perfect boat" will probably change.
Better to not make any commitments / pay deposits until you actually know what you're buying.
Here you only place a deposit if you are serious about the sailboat. I would only place a monetary deposit on a sailboat that i feel i really want and like. And i would only place a deposit after a survey and then contingent to sailing the sailboat in the spring since most sailboats here are in the hard now up here.

I really would like to get a really nice P323, i like what i hear about the sailboat consistently all over the net. It fits the bill, spacious, good cruiser, good coastal, and blue water capable and i like how she looks inside and outside.


I have been on a sailboat, i have been around them, but i have never sailed one or been in one while its been sailing.

I am the kind of guy that to many may seem to fast or to anxious but i have a lot on my plate, you know, selling the business, getting rid of all the worldly possessions, i have a lot of tools and now having to figure out what to keep, what to let go, you see lots of stuff.

All takes time, lots of time. If i wait for the spring to do all this tango and song then it will be the end of summer before i will even get a sailboat. By then it will be to late for me to have the time to learn how to sail and to practice and with enough time to be able to head for Florida and before the weather gets bad, and i just can't deal with another winter in Michigan

So, since there is a lot to learn and i have been reading the threads here about the different sailboats if i start now and nailed down a few solid sailboats now, then in the beginning of the spring i will have a sailboat.

That then allows me to take the classes in my own sailboat and will not have to charter to practice which is like $250 a day. I can also liveaboard and stay in my own sailboat which saves me money, because by then i would have sold the business and my residence.

My hurry? I am from Puerto Rico, I am from the Caribbean, i don't belong in the arctic and Michigan has like 13 months of winter and like two weeks of summer and summer is not hot enough here for me. I love Michigan in the spring, fall and summer, but the winters kill me, depresses me and brings me down.

I need the open water, sunny days and the sea. Nothing is stopping me now
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 22:04   #25
Moderator
 
Don C L's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Channel Islands, CA
Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Posts: 4,389
Images: 34
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtuck View Post
Hey guys!!! First post!!!
What about an Endeavour 32/Ericson 32-3 or Pearson 323???
Anyone have any imput on those hulls??
Thanks,
Don
Well, welcome here! By now you have probably figured out to post in Meets and Greets or a post about 32 foot boats, or to do a search function for 32 footers... no problem. As with any boat, the question is not just how nice it looks but what do you want to do with it? All three are fine for a variety of locations and conditions. I know that is not a ringing of endorsement of any of them but as you get more practice and experience you will know better for yourself how to judge a boat, and know better what to look for in a boat. My own thought is when you are starting out, don't go so big right off the bat. Many people do, but I think they miss out on the fun and thrill ( and important learning) of making a little boat take off by just pulling on a little rope and steering with a little wooden stick. I think all sailing starts there, but that is just me.
__________________
DL
Pythagoras
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 22:20   #26
Registered User
 
hamburking's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kingston Ont Canada
Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Posts: 2,149
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

I recently sold my Pearson 30. Great boat. No complaints. At least none now that its sold...LOL.

I'm liking the Pearson 35. Shallow draft, nice layout, good price.
The hard part is to find a good one at a nice price at a convenient location.

You might also consider the Ontario 32. Excellent reputation, shallow draft, etc.

If you just want lots of space below, the Hunter 34 is huge, and due to its age has a nice price. If you can find the shoal keel version, even better. Standard equipment included yanmar, beautiful origo stove with oven, aft cabin, etc. Nice package.
__________________
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 22:28   #27
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The link here is not the Pearson you made an offer on, correct?
The linked boat looks clean and equipped well. But not a single pic of the original Volvo with only 700 hours. So few hours on a 30+ year old diesel is not necessarily a good thing.

What about a link to the boat on offer?

Columbia 35..... only five were built. Could only find line drawings online, no pictures. It's a flush deck with a high straight shearline and small coach house. Not very pretty to my eye. The numbers,... LWL, D/L, etc. are similar to the Pearson even though three feet longer. Fin keel and skeg hung rudder, too. But tiller steering unless its been changed. An extra foot of draft compared to the Pearson. Looks like an IOR design and will like to heel for best speed. Doubt you will get any first-hand feedback on the forum with only five built.

You really have jumped in with both feet. You're wide open as a case knife. I bet you drive like a maniac.

How many days ago did you decide you wanted to buy a sailboat?

I think a 323 is your best bet against making a big mistake. Or maybe a Catalina 30.
Crapola! So many sailboats that i am counting them on my sleep like sheeps!
Sorry, it was not a 35 columbia is a 36 Columbia 1969 Hull #188.

I agree with you that the P323 is the best boat to err on. It is the best well rounded sailboat so far as far as i have read and researched for me. The C30 is too small for me and as far as all i have heard not a blue water sailboat or for taking a pounding at sea.

The 323 is within my range of 10k to 15k +/- 5k

The problem that i have is what is a well rounded sailboat should come with and what should i expect to be included in the sale.
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 23:10   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bellingham, WA
Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Posts: 577
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Sails are expensive. Make sure they are in good shape.
__________________
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2015, 23:30   #29
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,138
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

Columbia 36,... 400 built so you may get some feedback on that. Please don't start another thread though, you may wear out your welcome here.

You won't get everything you need for liveaboard at anchor, coastal and Bahamas on any boat for your budget. Five years in and I'm still working on that. But I'm out on the water full time and just today put on a pair of socks for the first time since last year.

The thing is,.... I learned everything you need to know right here on this forum, without ever making a post. My first post here was a few days after I bought my Pearson. Probably read more than half of this entire forum before that. The Google custom search function up top is an amazing resource.

Generally speaking, what I think you need considering budget and experience:

- a solid, well regarded sloop rig boat about 32-34 feet max.

- fin keel and skeg hung rudder.

- diesel powered three cylinder.

- roller furling headsail.

- standing headroom.

- decent water capacity

- depth sounder, VHF, chart plotter, safety gear.

- a hard dinghy and oars

- GOOD GROUND TACKLE AND LEARN TO USE IT!!!!

That's about the best you're likely to do at 15k.

Then you can work on, house bank, charging, solar, refrigeration and whatever you realize you need as you figure out what you don't know that you don't know.

Best of luck in your journey. It's well worth the effort.
__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 01:00   #30
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: What compares to a Pearson 32, 323?

@ four winds:

May I add keel stepped mast -- as a preference?

Great list!
__________________

__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pearson

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pearson 323 scubasteve Monohull Sailboats 15 20-06-2015 13:30
Pearson 323 Repower hiesrn72 Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 04-10-2014 19:18
Pearson 323 Engine Issues . . . chriscruz Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 05-05-2011 22:33
I Am Considering a Pearson 323 - Comments? Bcruisin Monohull Sailboats 0 08-09-2009 06:44



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.