Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-10-2009, 13:46   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
That’s a good looking boat (that red hull is going to get hot in the summer med) I'd go have a look at it…pay a surveyor and stick to him like glue...if its in good shape, buy it and make your dad proud to own the boat of his dreams...not to mention having a son who loves him that much.
Its not always about what makes the most practical sense....sometimes its just about what’s right….all the rest can be worked out.

James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2009, 13:28   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I would be asking why the red hulled one needs updating if it had Euro 35k spent on it in 2006? You know how hot it is going to get in Greece during August, is this the boat to sit on in that heat? Notice the one in the Caribbean is all white

Take a trip to have a good long look at the one in Troon first so if you do go to Ireland you have something to compare it to.

Pete

Old 25-10-2009, 14:08   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
what wrong with red?

The red thing is steel?

My boat black GRP no heat problem sailing 6 yrs in the tropics.

The answer to heat is ventilation and a lot.

b.
Old 25-10-2009, 18:25   #19

It is GRP. I ve seen the one in Troon, and I have to say I did not like it. It seem very abandoned for a long time. I was told it was left in the marina in the sea for 2 to 3 years so i ll take the worst case, 3. Also anything wooden seemed rotten or on it way there.
I documented everything I found by taking pictures.

Also i did not like the rear berth version of the fisher. It gives you no space to go out in the back. The pilothouse seemed to smaller also. I don't know it would be good to get your opinions about how the boat seams. it is quite cheap for a Fisher but it seems more like a project to me than a good condition. You can see the pics here: Fisher 37 in Troon

Also James as much as I would like to be able to buy it for my father i am student... I am doing all the legwork and helping him as much as I can.

I do not know what to say about the color heat wise. I would have though that since the top is white and the most of the rest is in the water then it should be ok. If the rest is well ventilated then it should be ok. But this is my guess not my experience. When i was having my sailing classes there was a beautiful red sailboat that was racing in the Aegean rally, la rosa dei venti.
Old 25-10-2009, 23:33   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Yemen & Lebanon... the sailboat is in Lebenon, the dhow is in Yemen
Boat: 1978 CT48 & 65ft Cargo Dhow
The color does make a difference...yes you can ventilate....yes you can insulate....yes you can air-condition....yes you can do all this because the dark color makes it hotter.

James S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
used boat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: