Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2009, 16:50   #1

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
What Are the Best Sails for Cruising Boats?

What is important in your sail plan. as you need the right sails for most occasions but what are the right sails for the conditions and in particular Light Wind sails. If you're cruising you don't won't travel in rough conditions unless you court . so you need a storm but what im trying to ask is what would you put you sail budget into as you don't have to motor everywhere.

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 17:27   #2

For a Sloop:
Full Battened Main with 3 reef points
Spare Main
160% Genoa
130% Genoa
Working Jib
Storm Jib or Gale Sail
Asymetrical Spinnaker/Reacher

Since I have a Yawl I would add a heavy mizzen with a set of reef points as well as the standard mizzen.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 17:30   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Heavy sails go the distance. Get a cruising spinnaker for light winds. No one chooses rough conditions on purpose. You don't plan on beating long legs and going into rough weather. You still get some no matter how you try. Sometimes beating is the way you need to go. You also still motor a whole lot too so bring extra fuel. This all includes being very patient and staying still when you may feel like you want to go now. Being in a hurry is very dangerous. It's the hardest course.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 17:43   #4

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
7 oz. or heavier main with 3 reefs,
125% or 130% head sail, same weight or heavier,
cruising shute, with sock,
storm jib.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 18:18   #5

Main with reefs, working jib, storm jib, downwind light air sails.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 18:40   #6

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
Where you plan to sail and for how long. What is your budget?

For the 3 years and 15,000nm from Seattle to Australia my North norlam sails were still in great shape.

I used a 135% genoa mostly poled out and a wing'd out main with a single or double reef for most of the trip. Reefed main was best config for using a monitor wind vane on my boat going deep down wind at 150 app. The only time I had in a third reed I wished I'd taken the main down all together.

The storm jib got used once. The try'sl never. The spinnaker rarely. In ocean crossing cruise mode in the trades a double head sail is the way to go.
Old 30-07-2009, 00:04   #7

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
Spares. Otherwise known as storm sails.
Most of your sailing will be in fair weather so good sails for that. If they fail you'll sail a bit slower on (spare) storm sails but you'll still be sailing.
A proper free flying kite must be worth a look if your going for long distance cruising for it's abilty to fly higher and pull at deck level.
On my cat I've got to practice using the spinnaker pole to jack the 150% genoa out in following winds. Add a mast climbing device because things will go wrong.
If your buying for a few years consider Chinese made sails to be kept clean and dry untill the present set fail.
Old 30-07-2009, 00:50   #8

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
[quote=Atlantic42;310616]Where you plan to sail and for how long. What is your budget?

I dont yet but I would like to learn from your mistakes. only between school holidays till we loose the kids

For the 3 years and 15,000nm from Seattle to Australia my North norlam sails were still in great shape.

Gee what a boat I could get from the US For half the price or even a cat

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 03:08   #9

Boat: Privilege 37
I would definitely include a 2.5oz assymetric or cruising chute, as well as a light weight one.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:29   #10

Boat: Camper Nicholson 35
Sail Material

No one mentionedsail material. I would cruise only with Dacron sails. They can be repaired anywhere where there is a sewing machine. With care they will last many years (10-20). Cover them when not in use. A cruising chute is wonderful during those very light wind days High tech sail material do not last as long, are more expensive and don't tolerate UV as well.
Good luck in your choices. The other responses covered inventory very well.

Jack KB8RJ
s/v Iona
Camper Nicholson 35
iona350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 16:18   #11
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
I chose heavily reinforced, moderate weight sails for my sailboat. I converted the main from furling (the old Hyde system) to fully battened with 3 reefing points. I went to a slightly lighter weight jib and it's done well in lighter airs. I bought heavy storm sails for the main (on a separate track), and a storm jib that I could zip over the existing jib. I also added a storm anchor, some line for warps, and other storm gear.

I'm a believer that UV can do more damage to sails than flogging. I make sure the UV cover for the jib covers the entire sail when furled. I also installed lazy jacks and use the mainsail cover every time I anchor.

I resisted the urge to buy used racing sails deciding that dacron was the way to go. Dacron seems to last longer and that's what I was looking for. I also made sure my sailmaker triple stitched the reinforcements, added chafe around the areas where the spreaders might rub on the sail, and made sure the slides moved easily and didn't twist the sails unnecessarily.

Since I sail solo most of the time and space aboard is at a premium, I've avoided the chutes/spinnakers/downwind sails in favor of wing and wing with a pole and preventers. Next time, I'd consider a slightly lighter main so that downwind the sail holds it shape a bit better, but so far (22,000) miles, the sails are getting a bit long in the tooth, a bit less efficient, but still usable.