Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2013, 06:05   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: What Anchor Should I Have?

Oh Goody - an anchor thread! What fun!

Will someone also add something about guns?

Religion?

Politics?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 06:33   #17

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
the yacht has a anchor that looks like a farmers plow now, i think it is called a plow anchor. i would say 35# maybe, will tell you for sure in 4 hours :P
how big should i have? i will be anchoring in rivers. need all the power i can get, and still have it come up with my 32 year old windless. i have 3-400' of chain.
That anchor has held that boat most likely for 32 years, so it must be doing something right. I have a CQR on my Valiant and just the other day it held fine in winds gusting to 35 knots and a strong current. For around Long Island Sound, a CQR is fine. Holds like a champ in mud and sand, particularly with all chain. Are more modern designs better? Probably, but it is all a matter of degree.

Don't go dumping $500+ into a new anchor until you have some experience with the current one that leads you to believe that it is not adequate for your vessel. I don't think anyone will argue that various anchor designs have specific strengths and weaknesses and perform differently in various conditions. Get some experience under your belt with your existing anchor and do some research on which anchor designs best meet your expected conditions.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 06:34   #18

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Scott,
That's a lot of over-kill! An 80lb anchor on a 41ft, 20,000 lb boat? Good storm anchor, but for everyday, a 45lb Rochna would be very adequate for everyday. You may not want to carry that extra weight on the bow if you don't need to.
You are probably right, but I like to sleep soundly. Since I don't have an all-chain rode, I prefer a heavier anchor. I don't know their exact sizes but probably a 65ish lb Rocna or Manson would be plenty for my needs.

Scott
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 06:47   #19

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
I like turtles.
That may be the single greatest insight and most appropriate comment I have ever read on an anchor thread.
Old 14-06-2013, 06:51   #20
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That anchor has held that boat most likely for 32 years, so it must be doing something right.
Probably not. When I sold my last boat, my A#1 anchor didn't go with it. That anchor, and its chain, went to the new boat. One must consider the possibility that Scoobert got stuck with the boat's lunch hook, and that the actual working anchor is elsewhere.

Either that, or consider the possibility that the previous owner didn't spend a lot of time on the hook. If his working anchor was a 35# CQR, he would have spent a lot of time dragging in that boat. Or, more likely, in a slip.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:12   #21

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII

There is no doubt that anchors, types, sizes, rodes and techniques is an irrational topic along with religion, politics, iphone vs android etc so you do need to consider the source (internet), information quality (personal subjective opinion) and stance/background of the poster (racer to diehard in a hurricane liveaboard) when you read the replies.

So, my personal subjective opinion on your anchoring system is dependent upon your use of the boat, and that I think is critical to your decision making...

If its weekend jaunts etc, with an all chain rode and the 35lb CQR and also an eye on the weather you will in fact be fine in LI sound as the majority of anchorages have solid holding...

There is no doubt I would however, with that tackle feel a little nervous anchored in (the relatively poor holding of) Block Island in 25kts+ and a move to the 45lb CQR/all chain would seem to be a better balance.

If however, you are planning on living aboard, and remaining in one spot for long periods and expect to ride out significant weather, I would personally go up another weight class....At that point you may also wish to consider alternative anchor styles, but note that there can be a huge expense to actually fit other anchor styles onto the boat.

for stereotyping purposes I have a 38ft Sabre, 35lb CQR with 125ft/250ft chain/8-plait and have cruised NE to Bahamas and, other than occasional difficulty in setting (marl bottom, or depth+current - required a technique change), once in, the CQR has my confidence...Do I think there are better anchors? yup, but until I lose confidence in the CQR I have no reason to change
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:14   #22
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
Anchor Woes:

Let loose the chain o'er the bow
Sink deep in the mud and muck goes the plow
Let her hold through the night
Through wind and waves, escape from plight
Awake in the morn, groggy from sleep
Upon the rocks. "What the Bleep"!

T.A.Ehman
Thanks, you made me crack up laughing in the middle of penn station..
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:16   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Oh Goody - an anchor thread! What fun!

Will someone also add something about guns?

Religion?

Politics?
I plan to keep a stainless steel shotgun onboard.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:22   #24
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Probably not. When I sold my last boat, my A#1 anchor didn't go with it. That anchor, and its chain, went to the new boat. One must consider the possibility that Scoobert got stuck with the boat's lunch hook, and that the actual working anchor is elsewhere.

Either that, or consider the possibility that the previous owner didn't spend a lot of time on the hook. If his working anchor was a 35# CQR, he would have spent a lot of time dragging in that boat. Or, more likely, in a slip.
Moored for the last 20 years. Great lakes before that.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:27   #25

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
pirate Re: What Anchor Should I Have?

I'm in the market for a blunder buss. Anyone know where I can get one at a fair price?
As far as anchoring goes, the best place I've found to test one is in Drakes Bay outside of San Fran. They all seem to drag there!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:27   #26

Quote:
Sweet. Mossberg's are great tools.

Since you are anchoring on rivers I would strongly suggest a Manson Supreme because of the shank slot. Rivers are full of submerged logs and abandoned logging cables (at least out our way) and the slot will facilitate retrieval.

Do you like turtles too?
Old 14-06-2013, 07:33   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
304 or 316 or a 400 series alloy?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I'm in the market for a blunder buss. Anyone know where I can get one at a fair price?
As far as anchoring goes, the best place I've found to test one is in Drakes Bay outside of San Fran. They all seem to drag there!
A blunderbuss works well too. Especially when invaded during the night by heathen democrat atheists. You can clear the deck of them right smart with a blunderbuss.
Old 14-06-2013, 07:35   #29

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

I don't think you can say "probably not". I think selling a boat without it's primary anchor is the exception, not the rule. Certainly there is the possibility, yes.

As far as weight goes, the anchor should be weighed. The OP has only estimated it's weight. I would agree that if it is 35# then it is undersized. It's still worth testing it in the conditions that he'll be anchoring in before dropping $500 on a new anchor.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2013, 07:36   #30

Boat: Tartan 4100

What size anchor should I use while traveling to Cuba and should I declare my guns???
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor