Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 13:13   #31
Registered User
 
four winds's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wandering the US Gulf Coast
Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Posts: 2,136
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

The photo is deceiving. The dark stripe and the backlighting and exposure of the image is fooling you.

Check this image carefully and see if you agree.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_26617-Screenshot_2015-12-17-15-05-01767721384.png
Views:	61
Size:	281.7 KB
ID:	115189  
__________________

__________________
Life begins at the waters edge.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 14:29   #32
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

I very much agree, fwiw

You can (also) do plexi on windows, like so for instance:

__________________

__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 14:45   #33
Registered User
 
Scaramanga F25's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 466
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

When purchasing a sailboat under 20,000 $, the engine is the most important
item to have a very competent mechanic go over and sea trial at full throttle for 5 minutes, a temperature gun in hand and also see what happens to oil pressure.

A bad engine, and you lose half of your investment.

Not to say that the rig and SAILS are not also inexpensive.
__________________
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 15:03   #34
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
The photo is deceiving. The dark stripe and the backlighting and exposure of the image is fooling you.

Check this image carefully and see if you agree.
I agree! It is indeed as you have proven! It is an illusion!
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 15:07   #35
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
When purchasing a sailboat under 20,000 $, the engine is the most important
item to have a very competent mechanic go over and sea trial at full throttle for 5 minutes, a temperature gun in hand and also see what happens to oil pressure.

A bad engine, and you lose half of your investment.

Not to say that the rig and SAILS are not also inexpensive.
Thanks! I have the temp gun, the compression tester, and i know a bit about engines, but i am bringing my friend he is a genius with engines and works at an engine machine shop.

But i need to beef up my knowledge about this sailboat engines that i have never heard about them. Especially diesel, i know zip about them. any suggestion to help the old guy learn about sailboat engines? Sites and so on? thanks

Right now up here in Michigan nothing is floating in the water. I have to wait till spring, i am thinking about not getting the sailboat up here and head down to florida and get the sailboat down there.

I am dying to be sailing and in my own sailboat!

Thanks for your advice it will be exercised.
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 15:08   #36
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I very much agree, fwiw

You can (also) do plexi on windows, like so for instance:

I want a sailboat like that one! Nice!
Thanks for the pic, good idea to keep the cabin cool down in the caribbean.
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 16:07   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 18
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
Beautiful lines, beautiful interior, good looking sailboat. But is she a good cruiser? Blue water? Caribbean good?

Please help, i feel like i am drinking from a wide open fire hydrant! So many sailboat brands and prices, and details...
I have owned a Pearson 323 from 1977. I have sailed her back and forth to Bermuda twice. Probably the worst 4 legs I have ever done. I have 5 transatlantics and many deliveries to Carribean and Bermuda and she stands up to the best of them . You need to check rigging and systems . The hull is solid and thick.
Blue water yes? Caribbean yes.
__________________
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 16:37   #38
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady323 View Post
I have owned a Pearson 323 from 1977. I have sailed her back and forth to Bermuda twice. Probably the worst 4 legs I have ever done. I have 5 transatlantics and many deliveries to Carribean and Bermuda and she stands up to the best of them . You need to check rigging and systems . The hull is solid and thick.
Blue water yes? Caribbean yes.
I have looked at Catalina, Columbia, Valiant, O'day, Hunter, Beneteau, and Pearson and i keep coming back to the Pearson 323. I think it is the sailboat that will suit me best.

I have my eyes on a few ones but i am debating whether to get a fresh water northern sailboat or a salt water Florida sailboat?
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 16:41   #39
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
I think it is the sailboat that will suit me best.
Not to make things harder for you, but ...

what does the Pearson 323 have that other similar boats do not?

Don't misunderstand me -- nothing wrong with it, but you're limiting yourself to one very specific model and I can't figure out why

I still have my list of "has to have" "hope she has" etc., but there are quite a few boats that fit all that's on the list. So I wouldn't limit myself so specifically to that one make & model if I were you.
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 17:41   #40
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Not to make things harder for you, but ...

what does the Pearson 323 have that other similar boats do not?

Don't misunderstand me -- nothing wrong with it, but you're limiting yourself to one very specific model and I can't figure out why

I still have my list of "has to have" "hope she has" etc., but there are quite a few boats that fit all that's on the list. So I wouldn't limit myself so specifically to that one make & model if I were you.
IMHO: I have learned that if you allow too many choices it also enlarges the probability for errors. My formula works as follows. I did extensive research on various sailboats. Compared them and narrowed down to two a Valiant and a Pearson 323.

The Valiant was a very nice boat with all the attributes but too costly for me in every angle.
The Pearson is within my price range and makes me feel secure because it has a very rich history of being tested in tough conditions and it has proven to be a good solid sailer and i like its looks and i can see the potential in her for my artistic endeavors.

There is also good support in the net and from the industry. All in all the 323 according to sources in the net is a very capable boat for coastal liveaboard cruising and if needed open water or passage. There is plenty of available credible and professional information delineating its passage history. According to various resources the Pearson is a sailboat that is also build solid and thick and i wanted that in a sailboat first and foremost.

It has plenty space and according to all that i have read it has many attributes of the bigger sailboats. Still and however, take into consideration that i have not seen the 323 in person. I find the sailboat photogenic so we will see how does it look in reality, i might not like her in person.

I have a champagne taste with a beer pocket and it makes me suffer, i like the nice things. The 323 has that nice clean look and sits pretty in the water and doesn't look cheap at least that's how i see it.

But the bottom line is that i have to buy a sailboat and i am trying to pick a sailboat that is tried and true and that i like to look at.

But, i am still listening and learning and open for suggestions and money.
__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 17:54   #41
Registered User
 
Lizzy Belle's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Netherlands
Boat: Ohlson 29
Posts: 1,522
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Not disagreeing with you, but it's just one of many boats that offer exactly that.

Just look here for instance: Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Again, not trying to make things difficult or saying your choice isn't right, just that keeping options open is usually better then making one quick choice and then limiting yourself to that choice.
__________________
"Il faut Ítre toujours ivre." - Charles Baudelaire
Dutch ♀ Liveaboard, sharing an Ohlson 29 with a feline.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 18:07   #42
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 186
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Not disagreeing with you, but it's just one of many boats that offer exactly that.

Just look here for instance: Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List

Again, not trying to make things difficult or saying your choice isn't right, just that keeping options open is usually better then making one quick choice and then limiting yourself to that choice.
Oh i do not think that you are making things harder at all, challenging me to think and compare yes and that is perfectly ok with me. Afterall that is what i am here for looking for the angles and learning. I appreciate very much that you take your valuable time to come here and share your knowledge and views.

Before i came here i did a lot of research, then i came here asking questions and reading everything i could lay my hands on. You are absolutely right about keeping my choices open.

Take this for example, i know that you are probably going to think that i am nuts. I did a compilation of the kind of people that bought certain sailboats from all the blogs and various sites that sold sailboats, talked to a few and so on. It came down that i also liked the kind of people who gravitated towards the 323 because of what they did with the sailboat.

But i am still open to suggestion because you never know...
__________________

__________________
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pearson

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pearson 323 scubasteve Monohull Sailboats 15 20-06-2015 13:30
Pearson 323 Repower hiesrn72 Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 04-10-2014 19:18
Pearson 323 Engine Issues . . . chriscruz Engines and Propulsion Systems 13 05-05-2011 22:33
I Am Considering a Pearson 323 - Comments? Bcruisin Monohull Sailboats 0 08-09-2009 06:44



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 18:10.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.