Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2015, 09:09   #16

Boat: Island Pscket 31
Re: What about this one 1977 32 Pearson 323

I am selling my Island Packet 31, 1989. She will take you where you want to go. Many extras. art.michaelsen@gmail.com
Sirago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 09:26   #17

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Sorry you "missed the boat" but I can tell you about a Pearson from that vintage we used to have.

We looked at a 323 but wound up buying a Pearson 365 ketch (1979). I can tell you that the FG was incredibly thick compared to today's boats, which I, as a new sailor liked (thicker=safer in a newbie's eyes). Our Pearson was a pig at anything under 15 kts of wind but would get up and go like a pony at anything over 15 kts.

We installed a Max Prop for greater speeds at higher winds but were surprised and pleased to find that it drastically improved our speed in light winds.

Overall the Pearson was a truly great boat - we were coastal cruisers, never out for more than 3 weeks, never did sail more than 72 hours straight, so I can't say about blue water capabilities from my own experience, but for a relatively early production boat it exceeded my expectations. My only complaint was the cockpit at 11 feet was unnecessarily large, cutting down on living space below. I don't know if the 323 is the same.

Good luck!
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 10:04   #18

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

I have a 35 Pearson, 1972 vintage. I have done extensive hull work
to the boat and never found a single blister. The thing is built like a tank!
Have a survey ball means, but know the bat in well constructed!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 10:09   #19

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

We've owned our Pearson 424 for 7 years and are very pleased. She sailed out here to Kaua'i new in 1980 and was a touristo snorkeling boat for several years. She even handled hurricane Iniki anchored out. IMHO, Pearson built a solid, comfortable yacht. There were a few small blisters, but no other structural problems. She handles the big wind and waves here in Hawai'i well.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 10:31   #20

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRican View Post
Well to my dismay the Pearson 323 that i wanted was sold but i wanted to know how did they added the plexyglass around the whole canopy. Is that factory?

1977 PEARSON 323 Pearson sailboat for sale in Michigan
In that link I see a typical dodger but not a full enclosure with bimini. They would not be factory installed typically but are a common addition. (I have neither however). In Michigan a full enclosure would be popular to increase the sailing season.

That boat does look well kept. The gelcoat cabin stripe has a high gloss compared to mine and others. The teak and holley sole and teak on the cockpit combings are optional add ons mine doesn't have.

The ad lacks spec details. But based on price and some visual clues it may have the standard A4 flathead gas engine. A Volvo diesel was optional.

Of course I'm biased but would suggest looking at other 323's. For your use I think it would serve you well. And the fact that you appreciate the looks of it as well.

Redhead mentions the popular 365 by the same designer and years of production. In hindsight I'm glad I couldn't afford a larger boat. I may have bought one. The extra 5000 lbs. of displacement has it's advantages but light air performance suffers from it in my opinion. Being a solo sailor, a sloop vs. ketch at only 32' works better for me.
Old 17-12-2015, 10:32   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Sorry you "missed the boat" but I can tell you about a Pearson from that vintage we used to have.

We looked at a 323 but wound up buying a Pearson 365 ketch (1979). I can tell you that the FG was incredibly thick compared to today's boats, which I, as a new sailor liked (thicker=safer in a newbie's eyes). Our Pearson was a pig at anything under 15 kts of wind but would get up and go like a pony at anything over 15 kts.

We installed a Max Prop for greater speeds at higher winds but were surprised and pleased to find that it drastically improved our speed in light winds.

Overall the Pearson was a truly great boat - we were coastal cruisers, never out for more than 3 weeks, never did sail more than 72 hours straight, so I can't say about blue water capabilities from my own experience, but for a relatively early production boat it exceeded my expectations. My only complaint was the cockpit at 11 feet was unnecessarily large, cutting down on living space below. I don't know if the 323 is the same.

Good luck!
bummed me out! That boat was nice. But there are others. Thanks for your condolences lol i am sorry i missed her too.

I was looking at the pearsons but they seem light in displacement? I really don't know diddly squat but what i have read and i am as confused as a cockroach in a chicken dance.

Some say 12,000lbs displacement should be the minimum to make her a good cruiser and sailer in blue water or passage. But then i see in you tube people doing blue water in 26 foot sailboats

the way i feel in my uneducated, green pea, know nothing and confused state of mind is that i would rather get a tank now and refine the sailboat later. So i want a sailboat that is thick in the hull and solidly constructed that i can sink my teeth into. I would like to do the Loop while at the same time eventually being able to head out into blue water and be safe.

Sooooo many sailboats, just when i think i have found one it gets sold and another brand pops up!

Going to see a 1977 Catalina 30 this weekend sailable but a project sailboat. I will post something later when i see it.

Any input on the Catalina 30?
CaptRican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 10:52   #22
cruiser

Four winds- I was referring to the dark plexyglass covering the windows around the canopy. It almost looks like a large sunshade over the windows. I was looking around at other 323 and none have that feature.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/48987
Old 17-12-2015, 11:04   #23

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
bummed me out! That boat was nice. But there are others. Thanks for your condolences lol i am sorry i missed her too.

I was looking at the pearsons but they seem light in displacement? I really don't know diddly squat but what i have read and i am as confused as a cockroach in a chicken dance.

Some say 12,000lbs displacement should be the minimum to make her a good cruiser and sailer in blue water or passage. But then i see in you tube people doing blue water in 26 foot sailboats

the way i feel in my uneducated, green pea, know nothing and confused state of mind is that i would rather get a tank now and refine the sailboat later. So i want a sailboat that is thick in the hull and solidly constructed that i can sink my teeth into. I would like to do the Loop while at the same time eventually being able to head out into blue water and be safe.

Sooooo many sailboats, just when i think i have found one it gets sold and another brand pops up!

Going to see a 1977 Catalina 30 this weekend sailable but a project sailboat. I will post something later when i see it.

Any input on the Catalina 30?
The boat I have now sold before I could get it too. I was really bummed, so I called the previous owner and said if by some chance the new owner wants out, has a change of heart, for him to call me. A month later he called me and I got the boat! If you are dead set on it it might be worth a try, but then don't worry a lot of good boats will turn up, like that Island Packet maybe!

As far as what is needed for a bluewater cruiser I'd defer to what Olin Stephens says in Adlard Coles' book "Heavy Weather Sailing."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2015, 11:19   #24

Boat: Ohlson 29

Aww, sorry to hear that ... Guess it wasn't meant to be and your boat is still out there, waiting to be found

Quote:
the plexyglass around the whole canopy.
Plexiglass? Canopy?
Do you mean the windows in the dodger (the blue tent in the cockpit)?

(Sorry - English isn't my first language!)
Old 17-12-2015, 11:21   #25

Quote:
Four winds- I was referring to the dark plexyglass covering the windows around the canopy. It almost looks like a large sunshade over the windows. I was looking around at other 323 and none have that feature.

1977 PEARSON 323 Pearson sailboat for sale in Michigan

OK, understand I think. That's not plexi, it's a gelcoat stripe from the factory. The dark gelcoat is first sprayed into the mold, then the white gelcoat, then the fiberglass layup begins.

Pop it out of the mold and you end up with a factory stripe on the outside. Not sure if it came on all 323s but many pics online show it. I assumed those without it have had the deck painted or the stripe painted.
Old 17-12-2015, 11:38   #26
cruiser

Sorry i meant the cabin, around the windows of the cabin. If you look at the cabin, you will see like a dark plexyglass, a type of acrylic plastic, that wraps around the whole cabin outside. Looks like the sailboat have sunglasses on?
Old 17-12-2015, 11:40   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Aww, sorry to hear that ... Guess it wasn't meant to be and your boat is still out there, waiting to be found

Plexiglass? Canopy?
Do you mean the windows in the dodger (the blue tent in the cockpit)?

(Sorry - English isn't my first language!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
OK, understand I think. That's not plexi, it's a gelcoat stripe from the factory. The dark gelcoat is first sprayed into the mold, then the white gelcoat, then the fiberglass layup begins.

Pop it out of the mold and you end up with a factory stripe on the outside. Not sure if it came on all 323s but many pics online show it. I assumed those without it have had the deck painted or the stripe painted.

Sorry, i meant around the Cabin, the cabin windows from the outside seem to be covered by that dark shade that appears to look like dark plexy?
Old 17-12-2015, 11:44   #28

Still need to finish removing an overpainting of this stripe.

And make use of the compound, polish, wax, and the two liters of varnish I've had on board for a year now. I'm a bit lazy I guess
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_26617-20151217_142748-1239316259.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	115187   Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_26617-20151103_175130-844983194.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	115188  

Old 17-12-2015, 11:49   #29
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Still need to finish removing an overpainting of this stripe.

And make use of the compound, polish, wax, and the two liters of varnish I've had on board for a year now. I'm a bit lazy I guess
On your sailboat you can see your windows, in the other they seem to be covered by a dark plexy?

Nice lady you have there!
Old 17-12-2015, 12:00   #30

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Sorry, i meant around the Cabin, the cabin windows from the outside seem to be covered by that dark shade that appears to look like dark plexy?
Think that's just a paint job, like four winds said. I own an Ohlson 29, which later became the Winga 29. The Winga's have that same paint job:

Left: Lizzy Belle. Right: Winga 29 with the striping.

Tags
pearson