Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2008, 18:08   #1

What About the "Columbia 36" Need Your Opinion

I need enlightment. I want to buy a crusing sailboat. The idea is, crusing from east coast of US to Caribian and down to saud America and then north through the Chilean Patagonia. If I'm still alive by then, next would be the Pasific oceand and the usual rout back home. Indian ocean, red sea, Mediterranean sea amd finaly the Atlantic oceand.
I am specting to have some "company" for some part of the trip, but it would be mostly singlehanded sailing.
I want to know your opinion on the Columbia 36 1969/70.
Is this boat able to handle this tipe of cruising?
Price confort and simplicity is what atracted me to this tipe of boat.
Am I on the right trac?
Be gentle and pasient with my speling, please.

From now thank you very much to all.

Oscar Miguel Allaca
Toronto, Canada.
Miguel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 19:36   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am specting to have some "company" for some part of the trip, but it would be mostly singlehanded sailing.
I want to know your opinion on the Columbia 36 1969/70.
Is this boat able to handle this tipe of cruising?
If a boat is 38 years old it's not about anything it ever was but more about what it is. The brand name of a boat won't complete this trip. The sailor and the actual boat matter at least an order of magnitude more.

This real issue is more of "if you are still alive". If you think in those terms you won't be. Success is not about what you think. It is about what you are prepared to do.

What are you prepared to do?
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 19:51   #3

Thankyou Poul: the "if i'm still alive" part of the msg. is a portion of a jock that most of my (not in to sailing) friends tell me every time I start to talk about my sailing around the world.
I should be more espesific in my questioning. Were this boat well build, in thouse days, to cross entires oceans, and circunavegation?

Miguel
Miguel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 20:04   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
As I said before how it was built says nothing about how it is today. 38 years makes a huge difference. They would not be well equipped if everything was original. After that 38 years all the rigging would be highly questionable to get you offshore and the rest of the boat might survive longer than yourself.

It's not about the boat as much as yourself. Single handing this trip is about what you will do to prepare yourself to succeed. The questions of the boat need to be answered by you based on what you learn and know. You can not complete this trip with poor experience or preparation on any boat. The boat can not sail itself nor make up for any of your own short comings. If your first question is about if the boat can make it then the answer is no because you can not make it.

You can make it if you can prepare yourself to make it. Answering the questions about the boat are clearly too premature at this point. If you are prepared then you will be able to make the boat prepared. I doubt this boat would be the one you would choose for such a trip though you might make an adventure with one on a trip less ambitious. Captains and boats need to match the purpose at least equally.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia