Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2012, 04:01   #61

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56
Yeah, that was kinda my thinking, sell the volvo. I want evrything to be as top notch as I can get it. I'm going all the way with this boat and I don't want to skimp. I don't have to so I'm not going to.
Well, you share my philosophy on boat buying. Buy well below your budget, and use the extra to upgrade. The less advisable option which many take is to buy the biggest boat they can afford, then be miserable when seeing how much they have to put in to bring the boat up to upgraded standard
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:48   #62

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Westsail and Sister Boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
I have a Westsail 32. I just checked at the Miami boat show the cost of the beta was about $9600 +++ upgraded alt, panel, etc. figure about $10,500 add install plus new fuel tanks, rewiring while the engine is out I figured the total cost is in the $14,15000 range. Add $2500 for rigging and $5000 for new set of sails and you have a boat that would cost $250,000 for $60 or 70,000.
That's about where I think I'll end up, between 60 and 70. I think that's realistic. I'm hoping closer to 60, but with the new Beta, that's going to drive it up. That's fine, I knew when I started this quest what it cost's to do this, depending on the boat you choose and how you plan to use it.
SKG56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 09:57   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longkeel View Post
Alajuela 38. Beautiful, fast, graceful, strong, safe, low maintenance (compared to timber classic), massive owners cabin and bed, and handled by one. I was looking at many of those you have mentioned and finished with Alajuela. No regrets!! good luck
There is a Alajuela 38 on ebay right now, they have started it off at 40k. They'll sell at 49k I think, but there is no reserve so might be had close to 40. For anybody that's interested, it's worth a look. The Alajuela is a superb boat.
Old 15-03-2012, 10:36   #64

You will need a new prop also. The rotation is opposite in the beta from the volvo.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 10:41   #65

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vfootloose View Post
You will need a new prop also. The rotation is opposite in the beta from the volvo.
I noticed that boat had a feathering prop. If I had to change that, I would cry for a week!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:06   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I have a soft spot for the old MD series Volvos. Engines were designed for marine use not adapted from some refrigerator. They can be rebuilt except for crank and main bearings in place in the boat. Cylinders, heads etc. are separate so you can pull just the ailing parts and overhaul them, not the whole engine. All parts that have direct contact with salt water are replacable. Last but not least, they are hand crank startable. Did it for 10 years on my MD2.

Don't know about your W32 but mine was light in the bow. All chain rode put me bow down and had to add ballast aft. The MD3 will help to counter act that.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 11:50   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
This is her.
She's a beaut! Something about these boats that says: "go ahead, just try me!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2012, 13:12   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
I have a soft spot for the old MD series Volvos. Engines were designed for marine use not adapted from some refrigerator. They can be rebuilt except for crank and main bearings in place in the boat. Cylinders, heads etc. are separate so you can pull just the ailing parts and overhaul them, not the whole engine. All parts that have direct contact with salt water are replacable. Last but not least, they are hand crank startable. Did it for 10 years on my MD2.

Don't know about your W32 but mine was light in the bow. All chain rode put me bow down and had to add ballast aft. The MD3 will help to counter act that.
The report is that the engine is well maintained and in good working order as is the entire boat.
Old 15-03-2012, 15:26   #69

Yeah... those were thays when Volvo built a hell of an engine for sure. I have heard that rebuilding them is more difficult than other engines... something about precision shimming of stuff.. cant remember for sure what it is. I think many of them were raw water cooled but they seem to last forever anyway.... I have buddy boated with two W32's (Saraband and Itasca) always admired those boats. Itasca was way underpowered and engine was midships with a very long shaft. Takes a lot to push those boats thru a heavy chop, keep that in mind sizing a new engine and also think about derating the engine so you get the horsepower you need at a lower rpm than many of these new style engine advertise their HP at. JMHO.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 08:20   #70

My re-power was $17,000 for a 30hp Yanmar...out the door with labor, parts, fittings, and everything associated with the instal. The price of the engine was only around $8000.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 09:36   #71

My option was to find a nice running Perkins 4.108 with 5000 hrs, that was installed and running in a boat that was being repowered. Purchased the engine for $800.00 tore it down for inspection to determine that the motor was fine. For GP replaced parts that are wear items for around an additional $2,200.00. With the mechanics work maybe another $1,500.00. Total cost was $4,500.00 for an old school cast iron diesel that I expect will outlast me with reasonable care.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins Rear.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	38817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perkins Side.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	438.4 KB
ID:	38818  

Name:	Rebuilt 84 Perkins 4.108M Low Line.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	38819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rebuilt 84 Perkins 4.108M Low Line II.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	345.6 KB
ID:	38820  

Old 17-03-2012, 10:36   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
My option was to find a nice running Perkins 4.108 with 5000 hrs, that was installed and running in a boat that was being repowered. Purchased the engine for $800.00 tore it down for inspection to determine that the motor was fine. For GP replaced parts that are wear items for around an additional $2,200.00. With the mechanics work maybe another $1,500.00. Total cost was $4,500.00 for an old school cast iron diesel that I expect will outlast me with reasonable care.
Looks very good cb, after learning more about the volvo that's in this W32, I'm going to keep it for a while, but still want to repower with the new Beta 38 before heading to SP. I need to study up on this volvo, I know next to nothing about it. One things for sure I'm going to be an expert on the engine that's in that boat when it's time to do the distance.
Old 17-03-2012, 10:38   #73

Boat: Pearson 281

Nice little set of engine shots Burger. Would love to see some pics of your W32 restoration so far. Put together an album! Or did I miss one you already have?
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:07   #74

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Yup...did the same thing...see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f131/challenge-engine-diagnosis-64952.html
By the time it was finished, I became an authority on the Westerbeke W46. Hey look...a good diesel is a good diesel. Does not matter how old it is. I once had a Volvo 2003 27hp. which was crap when it was new. But if it's a tried and true long life diesel, it will be that after a rebuild too. If an engine has under 5000 hours, it's still a pup if it's a 4-107/108, as cburger stated "tore it down for inspection to determine that the motor was fine". You'll notice the guys that rave about the Beta's have no real hours on them. Just that they run nice. My Volvo 2003 ran nice too until it didn't. I had a Westerbeke 4-107 that ran perfect other than a persistent oil leak. About a thimble full after 50 hours. I just learned to stop fretting about it. That was 15 years ago and I know the engine is still going strong for it's current owner. Let me say this...$13000 goes a loooong way buying things like sails and radar. I'll say it again, you're better off buying a spare engine from someone the same as yours for $800 like cburger did. Let the guy you buy it from spend the $13000. For that kind of money you can rebuild that MD3 six times.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Joli Elle Engine Rebuild 001.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	38823  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:17   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG56 View Post
Looks very good cb, after learning more about the volvo that's in this W32, I'm going to keep it for a while, but still want to repower with the new Beta 38 before heading to SP. I need to study up on this volvo, I know next to nothing about it. One things for sure I'm going to be an expert on the engine that's in that boat when it's time to do the distance.
Here is a link to a gentleman who has done a very high quality retoration of his W32 "Fluid Motion". This series shows his Volvo engine rebuild.

New Zealand Refit...