Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 08:01   #31

Re: Westsail 32, Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingpup View Post
My wife and I are looking at buying a westsail32 to sail and have as a live-aboard, we have also looked at Cape George Cutters and a True North 34. Does anyone have any opinions (of course you do), this will be our first sailboat which we also intend to sail off shore (circum. at some point). Are all westsails deck step masts or just with some of the kit boats?
Rob
I can tell you all about True North 34 since I have one...
Baz
bazzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 08:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
I can tell you all about True North 34 since I have one...
Baz
Spill the beans, Baz! I've been wondering about this one since it was first mentioned in this thread. The motor boat looks pretty nice, but not exactly live-aboard layout. Then I found the Huntingford double ender, and I've been curious since.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 08:57   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amgine View Post
Spill the beans, Baz! I've been wondering about this one since it was first mentioned in this thread. The motor boat looks pretty nice, but not exactly live-aboard layout. Then I found the Huntingford double ender, and I've been curious since.
Hi, I have been the owner of a True North for just 18 months. I bought mine on the hard and she needed a lot of work to get her back into the water. She is no doubt a good live aboard since the previous owner did so for 10 years although she didn't sail much in that time. Im doing the Ha Ha this year from San Francisco.
I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you want to start a new on please let me know and we can take the discussion there.
Baz
Old 30-07-2011, 09:44   #34

Boat: Westsail 32, 40 LOA
True North??

Hey Baz,
We've been looking at Westsails, but came across the True North. I've seen 2 for sale (Florida65k/Vancouver54k). We're keeping our options open and have heard some really good things about the True North. Where are you out of? And are you going to use yours as a live-aboard? What issues have you found with her since you took ownership?
Rob
sailingpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:55   #35

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
I'm always intrigued by the inability of a Westsail to perform in light air, when the boat has twice won the Transpac. My understanding (thirdhand) is that it takes time to get going, but once going, is almost unstoppable and so can win out over lighter boats.
Not sure which races you are referring to, but winning a sail race does not say as much about how fast a boat is, as it does the preparation and crew quality. Transpac and Pacific Cup are both handicapped races, so winning does not mean the boat was fast.
The Westsail Saraband was very capably sailed in the 1988 Pacific Cup to Hawaii. She was first in PHRF B division and first overall in the fleet on corrected time. All this while being the last boat in the crewed divisions to cross the finish line. In other words all the boats sailed the course faster, but the Westsail corrected out with a rating near 200. Also, a race to Hawaii is generally a reaching and downwind race, so the poor windward ability would be less an issue.
Not sure what other race win you are referring to.
Wanting a W32 for its positive qualities is fine, but it is ridiculous to hype it as a fast, race winning, light wind boat.
Old 30-07-2011, 17:53   #36

Yeah... Its all relative I guess. Still, if she reaches hull speed on a reach or motoring then shes as fast as others with equal waterline. I suppose rati.gs are very much about light air and windward performance. But a boat like a hc or ws can be frustratig in a heavy windchop trying to go to wx.ps..much of my mid 80s mexico cfuise waz done buddy boating with saraband

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 18:05   #37

Boat: Westsail 33

Hi Jim

The Australian version was made by Westsail Australia, in Maddington, Perth, WA. They began making them in 1980, mines a 1985 model cutter rig sloop.

Customers were presented with 3 different rigs, the Cutter , Gaff Rig or Ketch Rig. Another option was choice in cabin , standard or pilot house. The Australian version main difference is in rudder design, we have a cutaway rudder on a shaft for ease of set up for wheel steering, so no boomkin or pullpit with a clean stern. I`m not sure where we pick up the extra foot in length , but I get the feeling its in the stern.

The majority of the oz versions were shipped with a marinized BMW 35hp diesel engine. The company principal was a chap called Peter Holz(german engineer), which was probabl main choice for aux.

Here are the vital statistics:

Length-33" Waterline-27.5" Beam-11.8" Draft-5.2" Displacement-8.5tons Ballast-3.05tons Sail area-722ft (ketch)

Regards
Simon
Simon H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 19:02   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ANY boat is a bitch when trying to go to weather---i avoid it as much as possible.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 16:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If money wasn't an issue, I'd go for the Cape George 36. It has a narrower beam, finer entrance, fuller aft sections and taller stick so should be a better all around sailor. Heard the boat was a copy of an Atkins design called African Star that had a reputation for speedy sailing in the light air Puget Sound area. Sure is a pretty boat, too.

We built a Westsail kit, lived aboard and sailed it for more than 10,000 miles to SoPac and back to Hawaii.

Averaged a very respectable 118nm a day with almost no use of the engine. Boat is not a light wind flyer but will sail in light air. Give then a cupful of wind on a reach and they will walk away from most boats with an equal waterline. Boat will not go hard on the wind in light air and choppy seas. Best to motorsail if you have to go in that direction.

We had no problems going to weather in the open ocean but found it best to foot off a bit and keep the speed up rather than try to pinch up for maximum pointing angle. The W32s are very commodious and will sail better the more you load on them. You'll have to go nearer 40' to get the interior volume and load carrying ability of the Westsail.

We loved our boat and I nearly bought it back when I was looking into jumping back into the boating scene. For a couple, they are a fine boat and the prices tend to be way way below replacement cost. If you want a boat that will get you there with a pretty comfortable ride and a low cost, can't beat the Westsail 32.

Don't know anything about the True North 34
I agree with everything your write, I am a True North 34 owner and have a Westsail 32 in the slip next to me. The True North is obviously a larger boat and I think improved on the Westsail, such as a cockpit coaming and a nice Pushpit and Pullpit. The TN 34 has nice scuppers and less likely to be "wet" Both are very seaworthy boats, but I prefer the TN 34 because it will point higher and is faster with a LWL of 30.5 feet. But the comparison is a little unfair, the TN 34 is more like a Hans Christian 33 than the Westsail
Bazzer
Old 31-07-2011, 17:14   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Jim

The Australian version was made by Westsail Australia, in Maddington, Perth, WA. They began making them in 1980, mines a 1985 model cutter rig sloop.

Customers were presented with 3 different rigs, the Cutter , Gaff Rig or Ketch Rig. Another option was choice in cabin , standard or pilot house. The Australian version main difference is in rudder design, we have a cutaway rudder on a shaft for ease of set up for wheel steering, so no boomkin or pullpit with a clean stern. I`m not sure where we pick up the extra foot in length , but I get the feeling its in the stern.

The majority of the oz versions were shipped with a marinized BMW 35hp diesel engine. The company principal was a chap called Peter Holz(german engineer), which was probabl main choice for aux.

Length-33" Waterline-27.5" Beam-11.8" Draft-5.2" Displacement-8.5tons Ballast-3.05tons Sail area-722ft (ketch)

Regards
Simon
Aha! I've seen a couple of what I thought were custom W-32s with small pilot houses -- now I know where they came from!

Thanks for the info, Simon. The W-32 is far from my own cup of tea, but they are interesting as a manifestation of the early trend towards the cruising life. We know several owners and they all seem to love the boats.

Happy sailing to you...

JIm
Old 31-07-2011, 19:07   #41

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapena View Post
Nice post Peter.
Agreed! When I settle on my top 3 boats...I hope there is someone that will give my their input as efficiently and helpfully as Peter.

My bf and I are boat browsing at present...a very good friend had a WS 32 and I swear...EVERY conversation with him has "Have you checked out the Westsail 32's yet?" EVERY one. So obviously..he loved it.
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 19:11   #42

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer View Post
Hi, I have been the owner of a True North for just 18 months. I bought mine on the hard and she needed a lot of work to get her back into the water. She is no doubt a good live aboard since the previous owner did so for 10 years although she didn't sail much in that time. Im doing the Ha Ha this year from San Francisco.
I don't want to hijack this thread, so if you want to start a new on please let me know and we can take the discussion there.
Baz
Thanks, Baz. Yet ANOTHER boat I need to add to the radar list. kidding...love finding new (older), seaworthy boats to peruse.
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 13:33   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi Jim

Regards
Simon
Oh.. my God, that was very long time ago, indeed, I used build the Westsail 33 Yachts and loved it every minute. Unlike the US made W32, my mold was in one piece, and it was built under certifications by Marine and Harbours and approved for LCT and there for It could be chartered. The haul was overbuilt and since nearly everyone wanted a cabin on deck, I designed a dog house and that was a real hot seller. The original rudder was a pain in the rear, poor steering, huge radius and hard to fit it. Redesigned the ruder, no tiller anymore, and most of the Yachts were fitted with and automatic steering, inside and outside. All the engineering, spars, plumbing, electrics, and whatnot was done by myself. Manage to build 34 completed Yachts and over 70+ hauls and decks, mostly exported to Brazil. I had to close the factory due to many factors, the price of resin/ glass went up to the roof, poor management, but the real undoing was all the Yachts were built fully surveyed thus getting the LCT (local coast trading) this dint attract any sales tax and a saving of A$ 3,000.00 for the customer. Loved it, and advised my customer to have the Yacht built to LCT certifications and with the saving they could buy the engine. All went for, it was all legal. On customer (mr xxxxxxxx) dubbed me in with the OZ tax sharks, and I had it, had to pay a huge amount of tax, not worth at the time, close down went fishing. By the way, the engines were in fact Italian MV, rebranded BMW, I got a nice deal from the imported and took the lot.

Till today, my older daughter surfing the net found this site and messaged my on Skype. Now live in China and have a totally different business nothing to do with Yachts. Curiously, a few weeks ago went to a dinner at the local Yacht Club with some Chinese blue water dreamers, I mentioned years ago being in this business of building Yacht’s , one guy, actually owns a company making stink boats for export , hearing this, he just would not stop talking about making Yachts in China. I mentioned to him Chinese folks wouldn’t know which way the wind blows and making Yacht in China perhaps is not a good idea. Bugger me, he just wouldn’t relent and offered a substantial amount for the plans and drawings, moreover, if I supervise the construction a nice pay packed without dipping my fingers in resin. I am thinking, just perhaps I could revive the Westsail 33 in China. Like I mention before, having my own business takes most of my time, but the biggest problem in China, if I were to go ahead, you can’t trust this guys doing the right thing, there are not lazy , just corrupt to the core, and lying buggers, means I have to be there more or less all day long checking , checking and more checking. The other problem and perhaps you guys can tell, is there any real call for the Westsail 33, and ultimately getting over of the xenophobic attitude by the western world , that made in China, is …….?

Lastly, if one of you guys wants to change the rudder I would be glad to send to the full drawing and how to do it..!

Take care

Ps: what LCT No is your haul..? R/H on the locker (opposite the toilet)
1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 14:01   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The rudder on the Westsail 32 is not a problem. I had absolutely no control problems even with the boat exceding 45 degrees angle of heel. In fact, the Westsail is/was way easier to control both under sail and power than my Pearson 35. Could it be because my P35 has a wheel?? Putting a wheel on a boat is an unbelievably stupid thing, putting one on a W32 is pure lunacy. Yes I have strong opinions not the least of which is serious problems with getting Pendulum Servo Wind Vanes to work properly with a wheel. Yes it can be done on some boats, but think it's the reason why self steering vanes aren't more often fitted today.

As far as the market for the W32/3, feel it's saturated especially in the US. You can buy a well equipped, in good shape W32 for $50,000 and one needing work for under $30,000. IIRC, Bud Taplin has the molds for the W32 and would build a new one if there were any customers. Westail built something like 800 hulls with almost all of them still out there. If you are really serious about building a Westsail, I'd look for the Westsail 39 molds. It's a Perry design that Westsail introduced at the very end of their existence. Westsail built only a few before they went bankrupt. The molds were shipped to Asia, probably Taiwan, and a few produced their. It was a really sweet boat with an underbody like a Valiant 40, optimized for saiing ability and the displacment of the 32. A much more modern boat in the mold of what people are looking for today. If you are fortunate, might be able to find the old molds and be instantly in business for not much money. Believe there was a discussion on this website about the W39 and Asian builder. A search for Westsail 39 may turn it up.

Have heard the Chinese do have a different idea of business ethics. If the strories about the Hardin 41/Mariner 41/CT 41 are true, you've got to be constantly checking over your shoulder.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 07:41   #45

Boat: Westsail 32, 40 LOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Sailpup -if you want to try out a valiant I am berthed in Bellingham and would go for a daysail . Pm me.
Hey Newt, I may be coming down to Port Orchard, WA for a survey on a W32. I don't know if I'll have the time, but if you're still sailing in a month I'd love to take you on the offer??
Rob
sailingpup is offline   Reply With Quote