Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 19:55   #61
Moderator Emeritus
 
Ex-Calif's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Posts: 11,514
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n
Oh, I think the reason why is pretty easy. They want to believe that the choice that they personally made, for themselves, is the very best possible choice. So they have to convince themselves that everyone who makes a different choice--mo matter the different circumstances--really only made the WRONG choice. In their minds (dare I say small minds?) they believe that for them to be right, everyone who chooses differently has to be wrong.

It's an idiotic attitude, obviously, but there it is. You see it in virtually every internet discussion at some point or another. There seem to be a whole lot of people out there who are perfectly willing to make themselves look completely idiotic so long as they don't ever have to admit that they made a mistake. Now why THAT is, I don't know. But why people will lie about this or that to defend their own, personal preconceptions is easy. The one-word answer is, ego.
+1 the one word answer is, insecurity...

I looked a sail away W32. It is certainly a capable boat. The couple had sailed from Seattle. I ended up not buying because it didn't suit the sailing I currently do. 70% beer can racing and 30% coastal cruising. I figured that boat need to go places!

The only negative comment I will make is that for me the interior is cozy for a 32 foot boat. Compared to other designs where more interior space is the focus I think the beam is narrow in comparison to others. I could see 4 people on other boats long term but if I bought a W32 for long term liveabord I would consider it a great couples boat.

This is in no way a slag on the W32. Look at the docks. Manufacturers build what sells. Many buyers are like me. The boat is a social place and maximizing socializing is what many builders are building for. This is kind of correlated by the type of boats that charter companies buy...
__________________

__________________
Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 11:40   #62
Registered User
 
svHannabel's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Great Lakes
Boat: Catalina 34
Posts: 253
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The only negative comment I will make is that for me the interior is cozy for a 32 foot boat. Compared to other designs where more interior space is the focus I think the beam is narrow in comparison to others. I could see 4 people on other boats long term but if I bought a W32 for long term liveabord I would consider it a great couples boat.
First time I've ever heard the W32 cabin described as a negative because of size. Most people claim the cabin is one of the largest for a 32 footer and attribute this to the beam being carried very far fore and aft. I've been on a couple of them and agree the layout is more suitable for a couple because of the lack of a aft cabin or quarter berth.
__________________

__________________
SailFarLiveFree.com
svHannabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 17:36   #63
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,342
Re: Westsail 32, Opinions Needed !

[QUOTE=denverd0n;841165]Oh, I think the reason why is pretty easy. They want to believe that the choice that they personally made, for themselves, is the very best possible choice. So they have to convince themselves that everyone who makes a different choice--mo matter the different circumstances--really only made the WRONG choice. In their minds (dare I say small minds?) they believe that for them to be right, everyone who chooses differently has to be wrong.

Definitely something to be taken account of on the internet. .. and it is VERY strong on this forum for some reason. I have learned over the years that the devil is in the details, and everyone's details are different! I give an opinion often but try not to make it a statement that implies "it must be this way". Sometimes when I'm tired of typing, the words do get terse though! My strong opinions seem to change every few years anyway.... why force them on someone else! We all go there occassionally I suppose, but some far too often!
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:15   #64
Registered User
 
svzosha's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Galveston
Boat: Westsail 28
Posts: 8
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

I've owned and lived aboard a W32 and currently own and live aboard and plan to go cruising in a W28. I am very familiar and am totally enomoured with the Cape George's. If it were me, I would buy the W32. You won't be disappointed.
__________________
svzosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:10   #65
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Posts: 153
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Having a rigid dinghy is important to me, so I hope to hear from current W32 owners about on-deck dinghy stowage.

On the foredeck of a W32, how long would you say an inverted rigid dinghy could be before it interferes with work and/or safety on the foredeck? The J measurement is listed at 15.8ft, but this obviously includes the bowsprit.
Conversely, what is the available length immediately abaft the mast to the fore side of the main hatch?
__________________
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:21   #66
Do… or do not
 
s/v Jedi's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: in paradise
Boat: Sundeer 64
Posts: 9,198
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Higgins View Post
Having a rigid dinghy is important to me, so I hope to hear from current W32 owners about on-deck dinghy stowage.

On the foredeck of a W32, how long would you say an inverted rigid dinghy could be before it interferes with work and/or safety on the foredeck? The J measurement is listed at 15.8ft, but this obviously includes the bowsprit.
Conversely, what is the available length immediately abaft the mast to the fore side of the main hatch?
Hint:



cheers,
Nick.
__________________
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 16:38   #67
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 'Pacific 30' sloop - being optimized for singlehanding
Posts: 153
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Touche, Nick! I should have thought of that because there's a really nice light one being built in plywood over in Port Townsend by Russell Brown and his PT Watercraft company.

They are kit boats, and very sweet - I saw one at his shop last month, and I'm sure one will be on display again at the 2012 Port Townsend "Wooden Boat Festival" in September.

PT Watercraft, PO Box 1875, Port Townsend, WA 98368. 360-385-2645
__________________
Billy Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 17:04   #68
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Ahoy Billy Higgins,
I carry a 7'2" rigid, pram, inverted aft of the mast. The transom is removable so that the dinghy stores a little lower to the deck.
A correction: The J measurement of the W-32 is 18'0". Not 15'8".
Good Luck.
__________________
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 20:35   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,561
Re: Westsail 32, Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Paul, not to labor the point too much but its worth noting that the in addition to winning her class on elapsed time in the 90 race - which I was alluding to in my post, Saraband also did not finish last on elapsed time in the 88 race. That honor belongs to the C&C 31 "Sorcerer"... now do you ever hear people calling the C&C 31 slow and wet?

We owe it to people who read these posts to be honest....there are many who exaggerate or lie about certain models of boats for reasons unknown.
So it was 2 nd to last? The older race result listings are somewhat hard to read so I looked at the 1st w32 win I saw. Never knew there were 2. I think it is great that these w32s kicked ass in these races. So in the owe it to honesty category are you saying that the W32 is fast? I usually just use PHRF rating as a quick guide to how fast a production boat is.
__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 20:56   #70
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

I just think it's good that a model of boat exists, that makes my Bristol look fast.
__________________
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 21:22   #71
Registered User
 
SurferShane's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NSW AUSTRALIA
Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff Ketch
Posts: 1,129
Images: 45
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
+

The only negative comment I will make is that for me the interior is cozy for a 32 foot boat. Compared to other designs where more interior space is the focus I think the beam is narrow in comparison to others. I could see 4 people on other boats long term but if I bought a W32 for long term liveabord I would consider it a great couples boat.

This is in no way a slag on the W32. .
I am constantly on the lookout for something slightly bigger than my boat and agree with the above comment. As soon as you get over the 30' mark most boats will have a aft cabin or quarter-berth. If I was going to have my daughter or others on-board long-term it would be important to have the extra accommodations.

Nevertheless, I am admittedly a bit envious of anyone who purchased a W32 as their first boat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westsail_32_drawing.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	35630  
__________________
Life is a shipwreck but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats. - Voltaire
SurferShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 22:54   #72
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 37
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

PaulL. You, more than most, should know that the PHRF is a rating for boats racing. The boats are rated empty. A boat loaded for long distance is usually quite a bit heavier and therefore quite a bit slower. Please take another 16 minutes or so to explain to everyone here why the 16 boats, all with better PHRF ratings were beaten, boat for boat, by the very lowly Westsail 32, in that Pacific cup.
Thanks for your time.
__________________
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:35   #73
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,243
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
PaulL. You, more than most, should know that the PHRF is a rating for boats racing. The boats are rated empty. A boat loaded for long distance is usually quite a bit heavier and therefore quite a bit slower. Please take another 16 minutes or so to explain to everyone here why the 16 boats, all with better PHRF ratings were beaten, boat for boat, by the very lowly Westsail 32, in that Pacific cup.
Thanks for your time.
Suhaili won the 1969 Golden Globe around the world race, and the Westsail is not far from a fibreglass version of her.
__________________
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 00:21   #74
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Victoria B.C.
Boat: CS27
Posts: 1,725
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Suhaili didn't exactly win because of her speed.
__________________
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:57   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2005
Boat: Outbound 44
Posts: 4,561
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
PaulL. You, more than most, should know that the PHRF is a rating for boats racing. The boats are rated empty. A boat loaded for long distance is usually quite a bit heavier and therefore quite a bit slower. Please take another 16 minutes or so to explain to everyone here why the 16 boats, all with better PHRF ratings were beaten, boat for boat, by the very lowly Westsail 32, in that Pacific cup.
Thanks for your time.
I don't know anything about this particular race. Boats win long races because they have top notch crew, an extremely well prepared boat, weather that suited the boat and a little luck. This is an accomplishment that the crew did 30 years ago.
You can knock any rating approach,they all have issues. Using PHRF as a first cut for boat speed performance works pretty well. If a boat rates 100 seconds a mile faster than another boat, then you can bet it is a lot faster in typical conditions - not all conditions. Since this is a cruising forum you might ask what typical cruising conditions are. They are light winds. Cruisers, in general, have more of an issue motoring too much rather than dealing with heavy air.
__________________

__________________
Paul L
http://svjeorgia.blogspot.com
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Samson 32 Westsail 32 knottygurl Monohull Sailboats 11 21-04-2013 19:05
OpenGL for OpenCPN bdbcat OpenCPN 72 15-11-2011 01:17
Valiant 32 Liveaboard / Cruiser - Thoughts ? MontanaSailor Monohull Sailboats 26 24-10-2011 17:26
Designer and Builder Opinions Needed Sailcat Monohull Sailboats 17 21-09-2011 10:37
For Sale: Westsail 32 - 'Jenny Leigh' blahman Classifieds Archive 1 08-06-2011 10:42



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 14:22.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.