Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2012, 16:59   #331
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenchurch9 View Post
I own W32 #55. She is a factory finished custom Westsail, commissioned on Oct 24, 1972. She's older than me, has been been sailed across the atlantic and down to South America and back. She was very loved by her previous owners and I love her, too! She sails pretty well in the frustratingly light summer winds of the NE. (I have an amazing suit of sails). I think she has a very kindly motion underway. She is very comfy down below. The cockpit, though smaller than most, is still big enough to fit all your friends who really want to be there. And, she's got a great looking a$$!
The biggest negative to owning her is the constant crap I hear from people who perpetually sh*t on her and call her names. There's a guy at my marina who doesn't even know my name but he talks a lot of junk about my boat!! Very frustrating.
Here's my advice; know her pros and cons and accept her for what she is. She is a heavy displacement blue-water cruiser. If you can love her for what she is you will have a long and happy marriage.
Is your boat "Helen"?
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 17:08   #332
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Welcome to the cult, do you have a tamborine?
Now that's funny.

Congrats on the new boat. May you serve her well.
Old 07-02-2012, 22:16   #333

Boat: Pearson 281

Very interesting this Westsail! I can't quite get an overall sense of the interior... how practical it would be. The shapes, like the twin rudder are exoticaly organic... kinda "fantastic" for want of a better word.

Westsail 32 project in Half Moon Bay Ca. No Reserve! Westsail 32 project in Half Moon Bay Ca. No Reserve! | eBay
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 22:36   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butler View Post
Very interesting this Westsail! I can't quite get an overall sense of the interior... how practical it would be. The shapes, like the twin rudder are exoticaly organic... kinda "fantastic" for want of a better word.

Westsail 32 project in Half Moon Bay Ca. No Reserve! Westsail 32 project in Half Moon Bay Ca. No Reserve! | eBay
you may wish to look at
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post881994
Old 14-02-2012, 20:31   #335

Boat: '72 Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB

Is your boat "Helen"?
Yes. The picture is old. When we bought her we renamed her Maka Le'a.
Fenchurch9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:35   #336
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Yes. The picture is old. When we bought her we renamed her Maka Le'a.
Good looking boat! I have hull 119, also a first mold W32.
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:50   #337

Thank you. We really like her. Oddly enough, we discounted Westsails early on in our 5 year search for a boat. Then, on a whim, we met #55 and it was love at first sight. She's a little atypical bc she has an aluminum bowsprit and boomkin and hatches that make her look very submarine-ish.
Old 07-01-2013, 20:22   #338

Quote:
She's a little atypical bc she has an aluminum bowsprit and boomkin and hatches that make her look very submarine-ish.
I'm not trying to revive this thread, but I noticed the comment about the aluminum bowsprit. I'm very interested in its construction.

My Westsail 32 was recently in a collision and suffered damage to its wooden bowsprit. I've made temporary repairs by cutting two feet off the end, but I keep thinking that constructing a replacement from aluminum shouldn't be that difficult. There would be an obvious advantage to having less weight hanging off the bow.

Do you have any pictures of your bowsprit?
Bambolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 21:24   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambolera

I'm not trying to revive this thread, but I noticed the comment about the aluminum bowsprit. I'm very interested in its construction.

My Westsail 32 was recently in a collision and suffered damage to its wooden bowsprit. I've made temporary repairs by cutting two feet off the end, but I keep thinking that constructing a replacement from aluminum shouldn't be that difficult. There would be an obvious advantage to having less weight hanging off the bow.

We just got a stainless one from Bud. More details here.. http://sundownersailsagain.com/riggi...-have-arrived/
Old 07-01-2013, 22:00   #340

I'm curious, why did you choose the box section design? Bud also offers a pipe bowsprit like the ones found on the Westsail 42. In my opinion, they offer a lot of advantages. Not only do they clean up the for deck, but they also make it possible to hang one of those new generation anchors off the bow (The Ronca/Mason...with the roll bar).

I was thinking of making something similar, but from aluminium pipe. I want to reduce weight. The Westsail 32 has a tendency to hobby-horse. Partly this is due to the reduced buoyancy of the canoe stern, but It's exacerbated by all the heavy stuff hanging off the bow. I think reducing weight in both ends helps a lot.

Can I ask why you replaced the old bowsprit?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:51   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambolera View Post
I'm curious, why did you choose the box section design? Bud also offers a pipe bowsprit like the ones found on the Westsail 42. In my opinion, they offer a lot of advantages. Not only do they clean up the for deck, but they also make it possible to hang one of those new generation anchors off the bow (The Ronca/Mason...with the roll bar).

I was thinking of making something similar, but from aluminium pipe. I want to reduce weight. The Westsail 32 has a tendency to hobby-horse. Partly this is due to the reduced buoyancy of the canoe stern, but It's exacerbated by all the heavy stuff hanging off the bow. I think reducing weight in both ends helps a lot.

Can I ask why you replaced the old bowsprit?
I'm confused as to how a pipe bowsprit cleans up anything on the deck. I guess I'd have to see one to know.

The SS is almost a drop in replacement for the sprit that we had before. A woooden one being replaced due to some rot. I agree that the boat benefits from weight reduction forward but there are many ways to do that. The sprit itself isn't very heavy. I can lift it by myself.

Our plan is to move the anchor chain lower and further aft along with just keeping a single anchor on the roller.
Old 08-01-2013, 13:49   #342

Boat: Looking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
I just bought a Westsail 32 today!

Very Happy.

I've been searching for 4 or 5 years.

Congratulations!

You have joined a family you will never leave.

westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 14:02   #343

Boat: Looking...

My brother Tom and I owned Kristina, W32 hull # 374, back in the late 70s - early 80s, and cruised her heavily in the east coast and Caribbean.

When I close my eyes, I can see every detail of that beloved craft. (I am not an independent reviewer.)

However, I also remember all too well how waves over the bow occasionally rushed down the side decks and ended up in the cockpit. The cockpit arrangement of sitting on the deck with no back support was not comfortable.

There are very nice retrofitted cockpits with seat backs that I have seen on line. I bet those are both more comfortable for long term seating and dryer.

The boat balanced so well - we could't afford a wind vane, and used to balance the sails and tie off the tiller. She kept course beautifully under most conditions.

And what a feeling of solid safety. Nice when you are a newb hundreds of miles at sea!

I am ready to cast off again, but not sure a W32 is what I would take for such a cruise in my more senior days.

Best to all

Bill
westsail374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 17:02   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
I'm confused as to how a pipe bowsprit cleans up anything on the deck. I guess I'd have to see one to know.

The SS is almost a drop in replacement for the sprit that we had before. A woooden one being replaced due to some rot.

I see my error. I had originally posted a response to Frenchurch 9. He said: "She's a little atypical bc she has an aluminum bowsprit". When you answered my inquiry, I assumed that you were him. I didn't think to go back and check the post. Sorry for the mistake.

See attached photosB03 SS Pipe Bowsprit 1 (1).doc

B03 SS Pipe Bowsprit 1.doc

Click image for larger version

Name:	B03 SS Pipe Bsp 2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	52508 of Bud's pipe bowsprit.
Old 08-01-2013, 18:20   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambolera View Post

Hi Bambolera,
Fenchurch9 here. We did not replace our bowsprit and boomkin. They were replaced by the original owner. I do have pictures and it does open up the deck a bit. It is wider where it meets the bow of the boat and makes going forward a bit easier.I will take additional pictures on Sat and post them for you. I know this one isnt very good but you can see it well enough to get an idea.