Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2012, 17:27   #271
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Why I'm not going sailing today, this is the bar and river I would have to sail down to get to the ocean:

Chetco river 1/19/12 - YouTube
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 20:07   #272

Boat: Island Packet

I am looking at a Westsail 32 to purchase. The boat is in very good condition and is in south Florida. Presently I own a Island Packet 320. My friends think I am crazy to sell my IP and buy this boat. When I saw the Westsail, I was really impressed With the build quality etc... The W32 fells like it will last forever and take any punishment. Am I seeing things clearly?
Sailing320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 20:56   #273
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing320 View Post
I am looking at a Westsail 32 to purchase. The boat is in very good condition and is in south Florida. Presently I own a Island Packet 320. My friends think I am crazy to sell my IP and buy this boat. When I saw the Westsail, I was really impressed With the build quality etc... The W32 fells like it will last forever and take any punishment. Am I seeing things clearly?
Looking back at your previous posts it seems that you are really undecided as to which boat to buy. The Westsail is a good solid boat and if it is truly the boat you want then there is no reason not to buy one. Only you can decide... what are you going to use the boat for?
Old 19-01-2012, 21:06   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB
Looking back at your previous posts it seems that you are really undecided as to which boat to buy. The Westsail is a good solid boat and if it is truly the boat you want then there is no reason not to buy one. Only you can decide... what are you going to use the boat for?
I will be using the boat traveling the Florida Keys and the Bahamas.
Old 19-01-2012, 21:10   #275

GWB, have you thought about putting a compositing toilet in your boat. The boat I am looking at does not have a holding tank!
Old 19-01-2012, 21:15   #276
GWB

A composting toilet is a good way to go I think.. makes a lot of sense if you don't have a holding tank and are looking at a new install.
Old 19-01-2012, 21:18   #277

Quote:
I will be using the boat traveling the Florida Keys and the Bahamas.

The W32 is a rugged tough boat suited to hauling tons of gear and making ocean passages. That said, the Bahamas and Keys are not exactly "far from groceries" and they certainly aren't major passages. (unless you're posting from Hong Kong or something)

I'd go with something lighter, bigger interior space, and possibly a more shallow draft. The W32 doesn't have a lot of rear deck space for solar which you'd probably want in those cruising grounds. Davits are usually out as well on the W32.

What don't you like about your IP?
Old 19-01-2012, 21:26   #278

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:
It all comes down to what you are looking for. If it is what you are looking for and what you want, you are not crazy.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 21:31   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000

The W32 is a rugged tough boat suited to hauling tons of gear and making ocean passages. That said, the Bahamas and Keys are not exactly "far from groceries" and they certainly aren't major passages. (unless you're posting from Hong Kong or something)

I'd go with something lighter, bigger interior space, and possibly a more shallow draft. The W32 doesn't have a lot of rear deck space for solar which you'd probably want in those cruising grounds. Davits are usually out as well on the W32.

What don't you like about your IP?
My IP was my first boat. I bought it 10 years ago and looking for a change. My friends have go fast sailboats but I like the older traditional looking boats.
Old 19-01-2012, 22:34   #280

Quote:
My IP was my first boat. I bought it 10 years ago and looking for a change. My friends have go fast sailboats but I like the older traditional looking boats.
If that is your thing the W32 will do right by you. Find a nice one and make it yours. Everyone can split hairs about the characteristics of boats all day long but sometimes they're like women, you just know what you want when you see it.
Old 19-01-2012, 22:50   #281
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
If that is your thing the W32 will do right by you. Find a nice one and make it yours. Everyone can split hairs about the characteristics of boats all day long but sometimes they're like women, you just know what you want when you see it.
And sometimes, as in relationships, you wonder what you've got yourself into!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 05:05   #282
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway

And sometimes, as in relationships, you wonder what you've got yourself into!
Exactly! The owner of the IP can just swap with any W32 owner, they will line up for the swap

W32 these 3 characters are short for Win32... you guys should choose a more positive abbrev...

cheers,
Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 09:10   #283
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Exactly! The owner of the IP can just swap with any W32 owner, they will line up for the swap

W32 these 3 characters are short for Win32... you guys should choose a more positive abbrev...

cheers,
Nick.
My comment was for any boat, not just Westsail's. I love my boat but that doesn't mean there aren't times I'm thinking "now what does she want from me". You fix the engine she says the sails aren't good enough, change her oil she says the diesel's looking a little dirty; the chore list is never done! Ah, but she's as sweet as a violets when the wind is off her beam and the sunlight glinting on the water and I wouldn't leave her for anything, until I do.

For what it's worth, for every mention I've heard of Westsail's being a slower boat, I've heard one saying they are well built and seaworthy vessels and clearly loved by their owners.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 10:42   #284
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
For what it's worth, for every mention I've heard of Westsail's being a slower boat, I've heard one saying they are well built and seaworthy vessels and clearly loved by their owners.
Oh I think all posters in this thread agree to that; I certainly do.

I love my boat too, but I can still find weaker points and discuss them. I think it is the stance of some owners in this thread of "the W32 is best in each and every aspect" that heats it up a bit when others oppose that view

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2012, 13:31   #285
GWB

Your continued insistence that W32 owners think that the W32 is the best "in each and every aspect" reveals more about your motives here than anything else Nick. Looking back through the thread, I see that we Westsail owners have all readily admitted points in our boats that we don't think its the best at.
Having said that, the thread also reveals that we are one bunch of happy owners... isn't that interesting?

Perhaps you secretly long for a Westsail 32?