Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 16:07   #256

Boat: Westsail 32
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Westsail 32's carry upwards to 4000lbs in cruising gear, the only way my boat would ever hit 17 knots would be if it was being towed by an aircraft carrier.
Old 17-01-2012, 18:40   #257

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Now this is really getting good!

endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 18:57   #258
GWB

Well, I guess the Westsail comes close to that:

This is an excerpt from an interview with Garry Weber. I don't know him and I apologize in advance if it is inappropriate for me to post this excerpt. I will remove it if asked by the author of the article or anyone else in the interview.
It is relevant because Garry Weber crewed on the Westsail 32 that won the Pacific cup in 1988

Quote:
Garry remembers fighting the tiller while watching the winch bases flex as the boat hit 12 knots in squalls. "It is so easy to get that hull to waterline speed--7.2 knots. The trick was keeping the speed there," Garry explained. They set the sails then steered to the wind, trying to stay on a reach. He remembers the never-ending roar of the bow wave and the moment they hit 13 on the knotmeter with the enormously stable Westsail rail down.
The full interview is here:
http://www.angelfire.com/or/petermarsh/garryweber.htm
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 19:08   #259
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Getting good indeed... According to posts, the W32 will only need 3-4 knots of wind to reach 7.2 knot hull speed, yet manages 12 knots in more wind. When the big guns discover this, the America's cup can once again go back to the USA when they bring up the W32 as their secret weapon!

cheers,
Nick

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 19:13   #260
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Getting good indeed... According to posts, the W32 will only need 3-4 knots of wind to reach 7.2 knot hull speed, yet manages 12 knots in more wind. When the big guns discover this, the America's cup can once again go back to the USA when they bring up the W32 as their secret weapon!

cheers,
Nick
Just the facts Nick, just the facts. And that would be 13 knots... not 12.
And you are wrong on your first statement. Again.
Old 17-01-2012, 20:30   #261

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Now I' m not going disagree with the speeds reached on the westsail 32 but to my understanding the westsail is a full displacement hull and.as.such is limited under the hull speed formula..
In boats as the FIRST and J boats, the hull is a simi displacement so the hull speed formula is just another.number..
What makes the westsail , a full displacement hull , to gain the ability to exceed hullspeed for extended periods of time..
If.it is possible, then how?
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 20:41   #262

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3
Now I' m not going disagree with the speeds reached on the westsail 32 but to my understanding the westsail is a full displacement hull and.as.such is limited under the hull speed formula..
In boats as the FIRST and J boats, the hull is a simi displacement so the hull speed formula is just another.number..
What makes the westsail , a full displacement hull , to gain the ability to exceed hullspeed for extended periods of time..
If.it is possible, then how?
In all non planong sailboats, hull speed simply refers to the theoretical maximum speed at which the boat can travel. any boat can exceed it's hull speed, but the energy needed to do so increases very steeply above hull speed- essentially needing waves to surf, or extremely high winds.
I've hit 9.6 on GPS in chesapeake bay conditions, wave and wind aided of course. Can regularly sustain 7-8 knots with powered up broad reaching which is well beyond my hull speed.

Lighter boats can plane more easily, which is the easiest way to exceed hull speed, but I doubt a cruise loaded FIRST or J will find it significantly easier to exceed its hull speed than a westsail....
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 21:43   #263

Ahoy Paul L. I surrender. The 17k is very impressive and beyond what I will ever see on my W-32. Just a note: At the time that my W-32 was doing 13k, Stan Honey and his wife Sally, on their Cal 40, saw 25k on the knotmeter.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 08:40   #264

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
Ahoy Paul L. I surrender. The 17k is very impressive and beyond what I will ever see on my W-32. Just a note: At the time that my W-32 was doing 13k, Stan Honey and his wife Sally, on their Cal 40, saw 25k on the knotmeter.
And both you and Stan would kick my ass in most any race. Skill of the skipper and crew counts! Was Stan on Argonaut at the time? My boat is fast and easy to sail. It will not hold as much gear as a W32. It will sail easier and faster in a lot of conditions. I made a 45 mile beat to weather yesterday in 20+kts where we sailed the whole trip because we could point high enough to avoid the offshore reef. The other boats were motor sailing so they could point high enough to make it. Of course throwing in a big tack would be possible, but that would have meant dealing with a nasty reef strewn entrance at the other end in the dark. Life and boats are all about trade off. I don't think a J is a good boat for everyone, nor do I think it is a boat that satisfies all needs. I can say exactly the same about a W32. I just don't understand why some think that a W32 is a miracle design that is not a trade off, but actually beats the light boats in speed, carries more than semi-load and requires no maintenance and costs nothing. OK, I exxagerate, but the boat is good for a low cost cruiser and would allow a lot of people to get off the dock now, instead of waiting for their 45 foot RV to come in.
Old 19-01-2012, 08:50   #265

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Lighter boats can plane more easily, which is the easiest way to exceed hull speed, but I doubt a cruise loaded FIRST or J will find it significantly easier to exceed its hull speed than a westsail....
You know how the W32 crew just feels that referring to a W32 as slow by others is just nonsense and ill-informed? Well saying that a fast boat loaded with cruising gear won't exceed the calculated hull speed based on LWL is also nonsense. My J is loaded for cruising. The waterline has been raised, the ass end is in the water. We hit 8 to 10's on many passages. No way you could race her in this condition, but she is still way way faster and points higher than most boats 5 feet longer.
Old 19-01-2012, 13:19   #266
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L
You know how the W32 crew just feels that referring to a W32 as slow by others is just nonsense and ill-informed? Well saying that a fast boat loaded with cruising gear won't exceed the calculated hull speed based on LWL is also nonsense. My J is loaded for cruising. The waterline has been raised, the ass end is in the water. We hit 8 to 10's on many passages. No way you could race her in this condition, but she is still way way faster and points higher than most boats 5 feet longer.
Pff.. Let them start bragging about their record 24-hour distances. Being twice as fast as the wind and planing, I bet they must hit 200 nm days most of the time !

Nick.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:19   #267

Boat: Catalina 34
Leave it to a Westsail thread to string out multiple pages and multiple weeks.
Old 19-01-2012, 16:24   #268
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel View Post
Ouch, zing!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 16:28   #269
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by svHannabel
Are you saying it takes the westsail guys a while to get there?

(running and duckin')
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2012, 17:04   #270
GWB

Do you guys ever go sailing? Bored at work?

But seriously, most of the BS about the W32 has been disproved and still the vitriol? I have to think that its a case of sour grapes. Get over it and go sailing fellas!!