Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Don't know if you've seen this website:

http://www.westsail.com/Westfs.htm
I check Bud's website often.
Thank you.

Old 15-01-2012, 22:42   #242

Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Brevity is not one of my strengths. Looking back on my Deleted post, perhaps I should be thanking Hummingway for saving me from myself. My direct remark to Randyonr3 was, at the time, designed to sting. That was inappropriate and I apologize. In fact, he is way ahead of the curve in his endeavor and I look forward to meeting him about June 29th in Tiburon, CA. ( I will only be a spectator) And as for that clown from Jersey, well I would hope that you could cut me a little slack because of my “youth and inexperience’. After all, I’m a “Newby” here.
Now back to the Westsail 32. The only goal when coming up on this forum was to insure that any reader of these threads got a balanced assessment of it’s sailing abilities. I am very well aware of the popular opinion but my opinion is different. I think the readers of this thread have now been exposed to a more balanced critique of the Westsail 32.
Thankyou

Old 15-01-2012, 23:39   #243
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Oregonian. don't pay any attention to Randyonr3. He's has been obnoxiously denying the true performance of the W32 for years. He's accused me of lying about our 10,000 mile daily average, best days run, etc. He thinks anything that doesn't have a fin keel is automatically relegated to sailing like a box and would take a week to get from Alameda to Sausalito. Believe he's jealous that a W32 could actually beat his Bendytoy on an ocean passage. I've learned to just ignore his witless rants. You and I both know what a Westsail is capable of in the real world and have done it.

His rant about your short time posting on this board was in extremely poor taste but that's Randyon3.

Just out of curiosity, someone awhile back accused, what sounded like you, of sailing a W32 that had been gutted of all interior furniture and other radical means to reduce weight. Have you done anything to lighten your boat other than leaving the chain and storm anchor at home??
Old 15-01-2012, 23:45   #244

Boat: 74 Westsail 32

As I said earlier in the thread...

I'm amazed by the FORMER W32 owners (or others that just sailed them) that come into these threads to defend the boats. As far as I'm concerned, you can't beat that endorsement.

Sundowner Sails Again
Target9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 09:27   #245
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Oregonian. don't pay any attention to Randyonr3. He's has been obnoxiously denying the true performance of the W32 for years. He's accused me of lying about our 10,000 mile daily average, best days run, etc. He thinks anything that doesn't have a fin keel is automatically relegated to sailing like a box and would take a week to get from Alameda to Sausalito. Believe he's jealous that a W32 could actually beat his Bendytoy on an ocean passage. I've learned to just ignore his witless rants. You and I both know what a Westsail is capable of in the real world and have done it.

His rant about your short time posting on this board was in extremely poor taste but that's Randyon3.

Just out of curiosity, someone awhile back accused, what sounded like you, of sailing a W32 that had been gutted of all interior furniture and other radical means to reduce weight. Have you done anything to lighten your boat other than leaving the chain and storm anchor at home??
you're not going to get a replying rant out of me today Peter, I'm in to good of a mood.. the sun is shining, got a hot cup of coffee in front of me and its palm trees out my front window and my boat is across the yard..
And I do voice my openion a little loud at times, and for that I apologize..
and as I've always said, If a Westsail is what you like, by all means, get it..
For that matter, Could I expect everyone to want and sail a FIRST 42 from the early 80s, dont think so, and that "BendyToy" I own has plenty of negitive issues about it, but in weighing out all the positive and negitive aspects of the boat, including the way she looks and sails, That was the boat I wanted, and at that time,
and who knows, someday my intrest might change and I'll be looking for a westsail 32.. Just not today..
Old 16-01-2012, 21:32   #246

Ahoy roverhi. I too have heard the story about how that Westsail 32 was “gutted” on the inside to save weight. I do admit that the old CRT television and the microwave oven were removed before racing. Nothing else. Before the last race, all boats were impounded for the 48 hours before the race start. The boats were pretty much in an “open house” state for all the public to view. The Westsail appeared just as she has for the past 35 years or so. She has been a live-aboard cruiser for almost her entire life (but she is well maintained) That story only scratches the surface of what I have heard about my own boat. Rather than admit that the Westsail 32 beat somebody boat for boat, ignoring undeniable evidence, some people have literally fabricated stories to explain how it happened. Completely changing the actual weather conditions to fit their version, is one fabrication.
But the Westsail 32 is really not a race boat. Racing is just something to do for fun between cruises. What I have found is that the boat can pretty much do whatever I want it to do.
Old 16-01-2012, 23:30   #247
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
. What I have found is that the boat can pretty much do whatever I want it to do.
And that is all that really matters when all is said and done. What others think that it should do is totally irrelevant in your perspective.

Coops.
Old 17-01-2012, 05:08   #248

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Thank you Oregonian for your input.
Old 17-01-2012, 09:46   #249
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32

Because there is so much misinformation about the light air ability of the W32, here are some pictures taken last summer of a W32 in light air. Please look at the apparent wind speed and direction. There are two matched sets of pictures.

These first two pictures were taken at pretty much the same time, obviously one on board and the other by a boat sailing parallel.
Upwind:

Downwind: Also shows sail configuration and wind plus boat speed data.

Old 17-01-2012, 13:05   #250
Armchair Bucketeer

Good looking boats - am jealous of the Bowsprit (on my wish list ).
Old 17-01-2012, 14:11   #251
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44

That's impressive. STW 4.2, apparent wind speed 4.2, apparent wind angle 42. Doubt I could do that on my boat. It might point higher, but 4.2kts boat speed in what would probably compute out to be 2kts true wind is pretty impressive.
Old 17-01-2012, 14:50   #252
GWB

It is damn impressive isn't it? That is Oregonians boat.
Old 17-01-2012, 15:43   #253
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
It is damn impressive isn't it? That is Oregonians boat.
Yep. Here's my boat, shorter overall than W32, cruise loaded hitting 17 knots in 43 kts of air downwind.
[IMG] http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ASRVxD7OBi...edIMG_4257.png
[/IMG] Different strokes for different folks. Did I mention cruise loaded?
Old 17-01-2012, 16:55   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Yep. Here's my boat, shorter overall than W32, cruise loaded hitting 17 knots in 43 kts of air downwind.
[IMG] http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ASRVxD7OBi...edIMG_4257.png
[/IMG] Different strokes for different folks. Did I mention cruise loaded?
You did, and how many pounds would that be?
Old 17-01-2012, 17:01   #255
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
You did, and how many pounds would that be?
I'm guessing about 2,800+. Had to unfortunately move the water line significantly up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: