Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 14:53   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Friends and neighbors sometimes disagree on the fine points in a discussion. Sailors can disagree on just about anything. Here at Cruiser's Forum we encourage you to do so without resorting to insult. If you find you can't then move on to another thread that might not inspire you to break the "be nice" rule.

Your cooperation would be appreciated, after all, do we really want a Westsail 32 thread to be a hot topic?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 15:28   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
But only in America... the rest of the worlds never heard of them...
My first post on here but have been reading for a while. One of my favourite boats the W32, So is a Fisher 32, but then I am an old fart and drive Land rovers so I am used to being insulted about everything. I live in Australia so their reputation is at least semi-world wide.

Coops.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 15:32   #213

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
My first post on here but have been reading for a while. One of my favourite boats the W32, So is a Fisher 32, but then I am an old fart and drive Land rovers so I am used to being insulted about everything. I live in Australia so their reputation is at least semi-world wide.

Coops.
Good Day Mate and welcome aboard. You have great taste in boats and vehicles.
Old 11-01-2012, 16:15   #214

I have a westsail and love my boat. It is what it is. The slogan used was "Westsail the world" It was built as a tradewind cruiser. Probably more westsails have circumnavigated than any other production boat. About 830 were built and many more would have been had they not gone bankrupt. They went out of business because they were so popular and poor management. They were making sales on boats to be delivered 18 months out and when the oil crisis hit they were stuck making boats that were sold for less than they cost to build. As far as the wetsnail name a good part of those that bought these boats were dreamers in the 70's who wanted to cruise. Many had little or no sailing experience and had no desire to race. They liked to set the sails and windvane and not touch them for days. Take them out in 10 knots for a day sail and its sort of like driving around town in a motorhome. Put her on a beam reach at 20 knots she will embarass a lot of bigger faster boats. Give her a crew that knows the boat she faster than many think. The westsail isn't a racer, wasn't built as a racer and will never be a racer. But it is a strong solid cruiser that will take you anywhere you want to go in relative comfort and is not nearly as slow as many think while doing that.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:34   #215

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:

Coops.
You are singing my song. I have had six Landrover Defenders and one Westsail 32. I still have three Defenders that I collected as I sailed around the world. One Defender is stored in New Zealand, one is stored in Queensland Australia, and I have one in America. I also had three Defenders when I worked in Saudi Arabia.

I would like to have a Westsail 32 in America. The Westsail 32 launched thousands of cruising dreams, and it surely launched mine as well. When I got my Westsail 32 I felt like I was in paradise even when I was at the dock. It is an honest yacht that does what it's designed to do.

I do not care what other people think and say about Landrovers and Westsails. They are my dream machines, and because of them I have sailed and driven around the world.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:47   #216
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Westsail 32 - Opinions Needed !

Quote:

Coops.
Ahah..... a Republican from the 51st State...
Glad to hear you like LR's.... always a sign of rugged taste..
I love the old VW Beatles for the same reason... simple bolt on tech..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 13:56   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Don't know about rugged, but i am low tech. Do not have an iPhone, iPad and have never used an iRon. The Westsail is just the look in a boat that i love, same with the Defender vehicles. I realise that they both have their shortcomings, as does everything, even me, but i am prepared to put up with them, or change things, to allow me to enjoy my dreams. I never have a shot at boats that i personally do not like, because my taste is just that, mine, and it only suits me and maybe others who are as loopy.
The Westsail does it's job. It provides people with the ability to live out their dreams and that is really all it needs to do.

Coops. In philosophical mood obviously.
Old 13-01-2012, 16:35   #218

The negativity against the Westsail 32 has been going on for a long time. It is easy to find some of the sources. Many of the critics of the W-32 have thousands of posts on these forums. If this post is not deleted by a moderator, it will be my 5th post. In one case an “expert” on the forum, with over 5000 posts, was found to have only made one 350 mile voyage. Yet he was an “Expert” on everything concerning long distance cruising. Especially the boats.
The W-32s sailing ability is the most attacked quality. The critics site its speed against “Faster” boats. When the defenders site race results - always boat for boat performance, the critics quickly dismiss those results as “it means nothing. It is Handicap racing” “A floating container with a mast and rudder could win”. When the defenders site passage making results against other boats, those results are also dismissed by the critics for some reason or other. Most certainly the critics have their opinions. I have tried to add some concrete facts to help neutralize what I view as WRONG information about the Westsail 32. The critics, the forum “experts”, offer name calling and continual criticism but offer no concrete basis for their opinions . The PHRF rating, for empty boats, is their fact.
This thread, like all others concerning the W-32, contains a lot of WRONG information. When a person is asking for honest information about a boat, in this case the Westsail 32, they deserve an honest answer from someone who knows. Not someone who just thinks they know or simply does not respect the boat for their own reasons. The acrimony that has developed on this thread has developed because the Westsail owners are standing up, for once, against the negativity of the “Experts” who can not stop themselves from criticizing something that they know almost nothing about. The Westsail 32 is not for everyone. It is not the best boat for everything. But it IS a Great passage maker and quite a bit faster - in all directions - than you think, WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER BOATS THAT ARE ALSO CRUISING LONG DISTANCE.
One last thing. For now. In the short story “1000 miles to windward”, the author, and skipper of “Patience”, Lee, “ put his money where his mouth is” so to speak, Many of you wrote this off or tried to down grade the experience. One said “ a ton of 32 footers could do it faster. Well, that is all talk from the critics. Load up your 32 footer with Full cruising gear, including a dinghy or two, and 3000# of stuff, and bugger on out there. Then get back to us.
oregonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:11   #219

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian View Post
The negativity against the Westsail 32 has been going on for a long time. It is easy to find some of the sources. Many of the critics of the W-32 have thousands of posts on these forums. If this post is not deleted by a moderator, it will be my 5th post. In one case an “expert” on the forum, with over 5000 posts, was found to have only made one 350 mile voyage. Yet he was an “Expert” on everything concerning long distance cruising. Especially the boats.
The W-32s sailing ability is the most attacked quality. The critics site its speed against “Faster” boats. When the defenders site race results - always boat for boat performance, the critics quickly dismiss those results as “it means nothing. It is Handicap racing” “A floating container with a mast and rudder could win”. When the defenders site passage making results against other boats, those results are also dismissed by the critics for some reason or other. Most certainly the critics have their opinions. I have tried to add some concrete facts to help neutralize what I view as WRONG information about the Westsail 32. The critics, the forum “experts”, offer name calling and continual criticism but offer no concrete basis for their opinions . The PHRF rating, for empty boats, is their fact.
This thread, like all others concerning the W-32, contains a lot of WRONG information. When a person is asking for honest information about a boat, in this case the Westsail 32, they deserve an honest answer from someone who knows. Not someone who just thinks they know or simply does not respect the boat for their own reasons. The acrimony that has developed on this thread has developed because the Westsail owners are standing up, for once, against the negativity of the “Experts” who can not stop themselves from criticizing something that they know almost nothing about. The Westsail 32 is not for everyone. It is not the best boat for everything. But it IS a Great passage maker and quite a bit faster - in all directions - than you think, WHEN COMPARED TO OTHER BOATS THAT ARE ALSO CRUISING LONG DISTANCE.
One last thing. For now. In the short story “1000 miles to windward”, the author, and skipper of “Patience”, Lee, “ put his money where his mouth is” so to speak, Many of you wrote this off or tried to down grade the experience. One said “ a ton of 32 footers could do it faster. Well, that is all talk from the critics. Load up your 32 footer with Full cruising gear, including a dinghy or two, and 3000# of stuff, and bugger on out there. Then get back to us.
for someone that joined this forum less than 1 month ago and has put forth more information about themselves and boasting about their efforts, the years they have been sailing and working on boats and done it all within 5 posts..
I normally find that when someone steps up and starts ratteling off all their experance, it one of two things, they are inscure about themselves or they boast thinking they have to prove something to someone.. in most cases, I find the largest amount of the info "BULL" .. Remember, this is the internet and you can tell any story you want, its your story..
What you dont see about those that have over 5 thousand posts on this forum and only 350 miles of sailing is that they probably have 10,000 hours of study and observation and could tell you the size wrinch to use on a fuel pump for a MB 2 in a Choy Lee .. You underestamate the information on this forum..
and as for myself, and "needing a lot to learn" remark concerning racing and PHRF.. what you didnt know was that I've raced as a professional for over 40 years, I'm the race chair for our Yacht club and have been so for a number of years, and sit on the race committee for the Single Handed Sailing Society , the folks that give you the single handed trans-pac.and have a good number of multi-day races under my belt, all of which is of public record. both with crew and singlehanded..
I've only cruised for the last 10 years or so but have raced the waters between Alaska and Mexico my whole life.. and done it on my own boat, not a customers.....
You can sit and argue til the cows come home but you have to understand something about those numbers under your name and the date inwhich you joined.. You are a "Newbe" around and here and have to earn your place on this forum..
Until then, you are just spouting a lot of crap..
And as far as the westsail 32.. I dont think anyone ever said they hated the boat, and yes, there are good points, but there are also bad..
you might think the boat is getting a bad rapp.. well tough cookies, if you cant hang with the big dogs and take a little guff now and then,
maybe you should get back up on the porch ........
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:22   #220
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
for someone that joined this forum less than 1 month ago and has put forth more information about themselves and boasting about their efforts, the years they have been sailing and working on boats and done it all within 5 posts..
I normally find that when someone steps up and starts ratteling off all their experance, it one of two things, they are inscure about themselves or they boast thinking they have to prove something to someone.. in most cases, I find the largest amount of the info "BULL" .. Remember, this is the internet and you can tell any story you want, its your story..
What you dont see about those that have over 5 thousand posts on this forum and only 350 miles of sailing is that they probably have 10,000 hours of study and observation and could tell you the size wrinch to use on a fuel pump for a MB 2 in a Choy Lee .. You underestamate the information on this forum..
and as for myself, and "needing a lot to learn" remark concerning racing and PHRF.. what you didnt know was that I've raced as a professional for over 40 years, I'm the race chair for our Yacht club and have been so for a number of years, and sit on the race committee for the Single Handed Sailing Society , the folks that give you the single handed trans-pac.and have a good number of multi-day races under my belt, all of which is of public record. both with crew and singlehanded..
I've only cruised for the last 10 years or so but have raced the waters between Alaska and Mexico my whole life.. and done it on my own boat, not a customers.....
You can sit and argue til the cows come home but you have to understand something about those numbers under your name and the date inwhich you joined.. You are a "Newbe" around and here and have to earn your place on this forum..
Until then, you are just spouting a lot of crap..
And as far as the westsail 32.. I dont think anyone ever said they hated the boat, and yes, there are good points, but there are also bad..
you might think the boat is getting a bad rapp.. well tough cookies, if you cant hang with the big dogs and take a little guff now and then,
maybe you should get back up on the porch ........
My irony meter just exploded. You are talking to the skipper of the Westsail 32 Saraband. Google it. hahaha
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2012, 17:35   #221
GWB

Come on Randy, do you really believe that everyone should "earn their place" on a forum? So if Robin Knox Johnson decided to drop in an set the record straight on the sailing abilities of Suhaili you would tell him that he was full of it and had to earn the right to tell us about his boat? Really? hahhahahahhaa
Old 13-01-2012, 17:35   #222
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB

My irony meter just exploded. You are talking to the skipper of the Westsail 32 Saraband. Google it. hahaha
Saraband!

Sigh.

++++++++++

When will people on this forum learn to stop slagging other people's boats?

When they make me king of the forum, I'm going to make the "be nice" rule apply to boats as well as people.

Where I come from, slagging another fellow's boat is worse than insulting his horse.

And where I come from, ya better NEVER insult a man's horse.
Old 13-01-2012, 17:42   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Come on Randy, do you really believe that everyone should "earn their place" on a forum? So if Robin Knox Johnson decided to drop in an set the record straight on the sailing abilities of Suhaili you would tell him that he was full of it and had to earn the right to tell us about his boat? Really? hahhahahahhaa
If this is Dave, Hi and how you be..
and if Robin dropped in and started boasting about his accomplishments... I think I would second guess or not expect it to be him..
you get to know people on this forum, who they are and what they have done from little excerts in the way they post..
and you know as well as I do.. you dont go around bragging about what you are or what you've done.. it all comes out sooner or later but you dont have to stand up and wave flaggs about it..
you didnt come on blowing about your transpac experance did you..
Old 13-01-2012, 17:46   #224

By the way, are you planning on another crossing with SSS?
Old 13-01-2012, 17:48   #225
GWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
If this is Dave, Hi and how you be..
and if Robin dropped in and started boasting about his accomplishments... I think I would second guess or not expect it to be him..
you get to know people on this forum, who they are and what they have done from little excerts in the way they post..
and you know as well as I do.. you dont go around bragging about what you are or what you've done.. it all comes out sooner or later but you dont have to stand up and wave flaggs about it..
you didnt come on blowing about your transpac experance did you..
No, I'm not Dave. And not that he needs me to defend him, but I believe he was just trying to establish some credibility so that others could see where he was coming from.

So then, I think you owe him an apology. He is not a bragger.