Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2012, 14:41   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Westsail 32/Ingrid 38 Angle of Vanishing Stability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Most boats do

Dave
?

Dave: I am not clear. Do you mean most boats come back from being inverted with their rig intact or rather that they come back from knockdowns?

Just asking because I believe when a boat gets upside down most of the time they come back without rig. The rig being still on that Westsail might have explained (to some extent) what took her so long (especially if she got capsized with some sails up).

BTW I would not put too much faith into boats that 'come back from knockdowns everytime'. Much better one that does not get knocked down all that often! ;-) smiley here and there

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 14:44   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel

?

Dave: I am not clear. Do you mean most boats come back from being inverted with their rig intact or rather that they come back from knockdowns?

Just asking because I believe when a boat gets upside down most of the time they come back without rig. The rig being still on that Westsail might have explained (to some extent) what took her so long (especially if she got capsized with some sails up).

BTW I would not put too much faith into boats that 'come back from knockdowns everytime'. Much better one that does not get knocked down all that often! ;-) smiley here and there

b.
You mentioned 90 degree knockdowns. That's my experience the rig stays on. In full inversion ( which is a 180 knockdown) , which is very rare the whole boat typically gets trashed.

Dave
Old 29-04-2012, 14:53   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep. That's also my impression from some lecture and some experience.

That Westsail remaining inverted for that long might be a mix of the rig holding her, flat decks, light ballast (as discussed above they were ballasted in many ways). Maybe she got flooded too. Things like this tend to keep the boat in the inverted position for longer.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 21:49   #19

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch
Quote:
Yep. That's also my impression from some lecture and some experience.
b.
Besides Satory story, there is another very interesting book about a storm and boats in it.
"Rescue in Pacific"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0070486190
In my opinion it is a must read for any westsail owner wannabe.
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2012, 21:56   #20

Our boat survived a 360 degree roll over off the coast of Africa and came up with the rig in tact. The sails were totally shredded to pieces but the rig held. This happened to the previous owners while on their third circumnavigation. An account of their travels (and the roll over) is here:
Previous Owners « Sundowner sails again
Old 29-04-2012, 22:42   #21

Hey Guys! Lets Get Real, less than one half of 1 percent of boats ever take a 90 degree knockdown, and the ones that do a 360 are a very very small number. Both of the boats being discussed here are rock solid cruising boats . They will take you anywhere your skills will allow. I personally would go with the Ingred for a much more comfortable boat , but the bank account will make the finale decision. IMO____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 00:11   #22

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:

b.
I knew of a 53' sloop in Sydney which would poke its nose out into the ocean, fall over and stay down until the wind dropped. Changed owners many times and was fine in the harbour but never went to sea. Probably still there. Still had the original rig - must have been a good boat!
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:49   #23

Big thanks for all the replies guys, I'm fully reassured about the boats!
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:09   #24

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I'd sail either of them anywhere without worries. They will both outlast the humans aboard. Scotty got knocked down by a White Squall on his Ingrid and the boat was no worse for wear. The wind was strong enough to peel the paint off his wind generator. I believe he posted the story here on the forum a few years ago.
Martin and I sailed the same boat in seas I'd not want to be in again for a long time.
kind regards,
Old 01-05-2012, 20:51   #25

Boat: Pearson 281

These "numbers " tell a story of one sort but it's far from the entire story isn't it? My little bit of experience includes an understanding of wieght carrying ability, just as others have mentioned, and particularly medium and heavy displacement the role that weight carrying played in the original design. My Columbia Challenger raced/sailed better with more weight than I would have expected... the shallow keel dropped lower and dug in much better. The bouyancy of the hull shape came into play more thoroughly.
The distribution of weight of supplies etc. low inside the hull is part of a design scheme and in my Dreadnought helps provide an easier motion. This is not so true of many lighter designs.
Doesn't pay much to get lost in the "numbers". Sailboats are living things and plenty of these two designs have made plenty of great passages. Let's not forget the sailor!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 22:11   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I'd sail either of them anywhere without worries. They will both outlast the humans aboard. Scotty got knocked down by a White Squall on his Ingrid and the boat was no worse for wear. The wind was strong enough to peel the paint off his wind generator. I believe he posted the story here on the forum a few years ago.
Martin and I sailed the same boat in seas I'd not want to be in again for a long time.
kind regards,
Yes...I owned this Ingrid where with seas big and wind well above 35 kt that the boom ripped out of the mast while dropping off a wave. Righting moment and stability was not on the forefront of my mind while the fire drill was going on.
Put away your calculator and the number games and buy the boat you fall for. Forget all these silly discussions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote