Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2010, 20:00   #16

You could just get this one in Florida and sail on over to the Bahamas. SELKIE - W32
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 20:49   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
HMMMM!!!! Didn't a W32 beat a V40 across the finish line in this summers single handed TransPac???????
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 21:02   #18

Boat: Pearson 281
Sounds like the Westsail has caught your interest but another prospect along with the smaller Valiants would be a Dreadnought 32. I like ours a lot, very stoutly built,she is a good sailor with a draft of 4'9" and excellent comfort at sea and hull speed rating. The hull is 1 1/8" thick all the way around and is balsa cored above the waterline.
There is a very nice example for sale right now at Yachtworld... she's in Oxnard, California very lightly used purchased in 1979 with a 2001 splash date! She does need a bit of interior completion but the work done so far looks well executed.
There is another on Sailboatlistings.com... not the one in Santa Barbara... bad news that one... but somewhere back east. That one has been beautifully finished inside and for a turnkey bluewater boat really well priced.
These are lesser known boats, only 80 or so built usually ketch rigged and show up at slightly better price than a similarly well found and equipped Westsail.
Ours is hull #7, the last of their flattop models produced and is cutter rigged. Good turn of speed and plenty of room inside.
Met a guy while on charter who sailed a Westie out of USVI and he was pretty happy with his.
With any luck we will be sailing Molly B that way ourselves this year.
Good luck!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 21:23   #19
GWB

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
HMMMM!!!! Didn't a W32 beat a V40 across the finish line in this summers single handed TransPac???????
Sure did - by 16 hours or so...
GWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 22:52   #20

I have a Westsail in Ft. Lauderdale. It has the forward hatch, 6 8" portlights in the saloon and 4 6" portlights forward. She has 1" insulation on all overheads and on the hull to the waterline. I installed 7 Caframo fans (Home Depot about $25.00) 4 in the saloon, 1 in the head, 2 in the V berth. It has always been fairly comfortable and a lot cooler than my dockmate who doesn't have insulation. Go to the WOA website and you will get a lot of info. Not all Westsails have teak decks do yourself a favor and look for one that doesn't. I agree that finding one on the east coast will make your life easier. Go to Bud Taplins site WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE He was the first GM for Westsail and has a business that can still get most anything for a Westsail and has a manual to upgrade almost any weakness.
s/vfootloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 02:09   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Here are a few comments from my experience in the eastern Caribbean.

Ventilation: if you plan to spend most of your time at anchor, the small portlights aren't an issue. The breeze, which is almost always blowing since you're in the Tradewinds, comes in through the overhead hatches and exits through the portlights and the companionway. Install a few 12 V fans, and have a tarp made to cover the forward hatch so you can leave it open when the short nighttime showers blow through. Really. Do it.

Draft: not an issue in 99.5% of the anchorages. That's more of a Bahamas thing.

Sails: I often sailed with reefed sails. Love the cutter rig for it's flexibility. Only used my asymmetrical spinnaker twice down here.

Teak decks: no comment--I've never experienced them.
Old 26-09-2010, 04:45   #22

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329
I too have been shopping and now very close to making a purchase. After much internal debate I have decided against the W32 for only one reason. The cockpit area is just too small. I only realized this after visiting and boarding a Downeast 32 and a 38. I picture myself spending alot of time lounging around outside on deck and there just isnt much room to do so on a W32. Whereas the Downeast is vast and flat, so much so that you can stretch out 2 folding lounge chairs easily. Four people can lay down back there. DE38s are stout too, similar construction as the W32.

There are trade offs though. I dont like the huge windows of the DE38. In the tropics its nice to go inside to a cool dark place to get away from the scorching sun. The W32 is like that.

Another thing about the W32 is there isnt much room to put up an arch for things like solar panels and electronics. I have seen a few pics of W32s that do have them but they had to trim their boom.

I do hope you get a boat that your happy with and there is no reason not to, its a buyer's market.

Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 06:01   #23

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorDance View Post
Forget the Wet Snail! Get a Valiant 32 or (if you can afford a few $ more) a Valiant 37 or 40. Great boats, well built, a few years had blisters but they're cosmetic and available for a big discount! More comfortable than a Wet Snail and much faster: night and day! better built too!

Just another clear example of bowsprit envy.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 07:11   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
The photie belowie is from the floor next to mah bed.
Note the 3 (large) open hatches skywards.

There are 2 holes in the roof over the bed and one in the forward cubical which has a doo-er which can be left open when its hot.

The 3 (large) hatches keep the bed coo-ell.

There are 13 (large) hatches on mah boat keeping the whole belowards coo-ell.

Perhaps if you want to keep a wife... or at least happy... I would sugest you look for a similar boat to mine in your price range.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08212.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	19594  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 15:06   #25

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
In the Loft

On our 32 the favorite spot was on the foredeck under the awning with a cool drink (you choose), some munchies and a good book.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 15:11   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
if you can .. i would avoid the teak decks on older boats like the westsails .. also the downeast 38 is really a cool boat but many you see out there are in sad condition. good luck.
Old 28-09-2010, 18:13   #27

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post

I have decided against the W32 for only one reason. The cockpit area is just too small.
Only until you go offshore and get yours filled by a nasty wave, or get tossed across the vast areas designed for entertaining a bunch of landlubbers.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2010, 06:51   #28

Hi,
My and my wife we live on W32, for 9 years in Caribbean, and I think this is perfect boat:
You not need to worry about anything because boat is not expensive and to strong to anything happen.
If you can get a Brittany anchor like 70 pound and 250ft of chain you are Ok in any condition.We had two major hurricanes Ivan and recently Earl.
I do not agree for arch ,
I build one and there are plenty room for five or six siemens55w and fourwind2,and you can have a nice shadow with the little table under.
If someone want a foto or more info: email mariuskano@msn.com
I would recommend W32.
oldace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean