Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2012, 13:15   #1

Westsail 32 bed size?

Hello,

I am really starting to fall in love with this boat, seems like the safest and most affordable bluewater boat for a couple out there. And I love the look. Just trying to figure out how long the V berth is up front?

I am 6'9" and as such I need a larger bed than most. Not the most convenient hieght for someone who loves boats!
islander20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 13:20   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Send a message via AIM to svpattyd Send a message via Yahoo to svpattyd Send a message via Skype™ to svpattyd
We used to use a standard size futon in our westsail 32, if that is of any help.
svpattyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 14:41   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Re: Westsail 32 bed size?

Good old boat did an article on them recently
Old 19-12-2012, 14:45   #4

I read that article, a nice read. Every time I see a mention of the westsail v berth it is labeled as huge or massive. Just wondering how "huge"?
Old 19-12-2012, 14:47   #5

The port side v-berth up front should be 7.25 feet from the main bulkhead to the chain locker.
Old 19-12-2012, 14:49   #6

The slide out bunk in the main saloon will not be long enough for you though, I believe it is about 6'1".
Old 19-12-2012, 14:59   #7

Thanks for the information! Looks like the dream will stay alive
Old 19-12-2012, 15:11   #8

Boat: Westsail 32

I sleep in the v berth on my Westsail 32 every night. I am 6' and just make being completely streched on the diagonal in my double bed, 6" teperpedic matress, never slept better. That being said there are many different configurations for the interiors with these boats.

I agree with your accessment of these boats so don't let the height requirement of your berth disuade you as it is not unusual to customize interior components.
Old 19-12-2012, 18:15   #9

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
The slide out bunk in the main saloon will not be long enough for you though, I believe it is about 6'1".
Well, correct me if I am wrong but the implication here is that you won't have a seabed that you will fit in. If you don't plan on needing a seabed, you probably are not going on long passages, if you are not going on long passages, you can select a boat with seabeds that are a little more comfortable.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 18:47   #10

Going to be hard finding a long enough sea berth
Old 19-12-2012, 19:58   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'DAy I-20,

Yes, the advantage that you had on the BB court vanishes when you step aboard a cruising yacht!

There are some of the modern style yachts, usually 40++ feet that boast of king-size island bunks. While these often do not make good seaberths (too wide to keep you stable when there is a lot of motion), they would give you the room and comfort you seek. But it is much less common on more traditional vessels such as the Westsail due to their smaller beams and more tapered quarters. A thorny problem for you for sure.

However, we've known a few folks (of more conventional size!) who chose to sleep on the cabin sole when at sea, even when there were suitable seaberths available to them. Claimed there was less motion down there and so on. If that was acceptable to you, then the king size berth for calm conditions might be ok... only resorting to the sole berth (of whatever length you might wish) when at sea in rough conditions.

But I fear that you will have to look outside the Westsail 32 idiom to find those accommodations. OR be willing to drastically redesign the layout of an existing boat.

good luck with your search, mate!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 19-12-2012, 20:15   #12

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
But I fear that you will have to look outside the Westsail 32 idiom to find those accommodations. OR be willing to drastically redesign the layout of an existing boat.

good luck with your search, mate!

Cheers,

Jim
Since a lot of westsails were owner finished... It may be possible that someone built one that included a seaberth that is longer than 6 feet.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2012, 20:53   #13

The odds of finding one owner built with a 7' long sea berth are probably quite slim. You could modify the top shelf (often times used as a berth) into something you could fit into but it is quite high in the boat. I imagine your best bet would be to sleep on the sole in a sea way as Jim Cate suggested.

As they say, it is hard to find a boat that you'll fit in as a taller person. I myself am 6'2" tall and the W32 worked for me since I can almost stand full height in it without issue. I'm not sure about the modern boats or their berths.

Sometimes height comes with disadvantages and this is certainly one. The one upside of the W32 is that the vberth is quite massive. Good luck in your search!
Old 20-12-2012, 06:30   #14

I have a feeling ill be on the sole in any boat that is within my price range. A king size bed would be amazing...starting to think the cascade 36 would make a better boat for us. Much faster than the westsail and also quite tough from what I read. The westsail is just so pretty...
Old 20-12-2012, 06:46   #15

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

I agree islander. Even though I don't own one, I smile every time I see a Westsail. Have you gone on board one, just to check it out? How about a Westsail 42? I sure would not give up the dream, if I were you.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote