Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2013, 00:36   #1
Registered User
 
lostsheep's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 92
Westsail 32

I found a Westie 32 that has everything that Capt. Fatty says to look for and what I need.... a major problem, a ticking clock, and the right price range.
She's been barned for a major refit, as yet incomplete. (The major problem). She has all the paint and fiberglass redone from the boot top up, but still needs the bottom painted. Everything in the interior has been removed, but is stored, needs re-installed and evaluated. Has a rebuilt Perkins M50. Everything is there, allegedly.
(The ticking clock)- she will be sold by 12 DEC, or scrapped.

So, hold your breath, folks. This wannabe may soon be a nearly there! Lots of sweat equity involved, but if everything I've read is correct, the Westies are one of the safest boats out there.
__________________

__________________
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 01:01   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,330
Re: Wet Snail 32

There was a frequent contributor to the forum who goes by cburger who has been doing a complete makeover on a westsail 32 for years. You might send him a PM and see what he thinks of the idea.
__________________

__________________
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 05:52   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Wet Snail 32

westsail 32 is a good solid boat. refit how you like and have a great time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 05:57   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Wet Snail 32

You could end up working on that boat for years and spending loads of money. Find something that already works and floats and get out and start having fun.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:13   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep
 
zeehag's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: furycame alley , tropics, mexico for now
Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Posts: 17,772
Images: 56
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
Re: Wet Snail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You could end up working on that boat for years and spending loads of money. Find something that already works and floats and get out and start having fun.

OR, as everything is spozedly there, it would take only a short time for himself and a friend to refit and go.

would be a wonderful cruising boat.

knowledge of boat comes from doing the refit...lol so you would know your own boat very well.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:33   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Port Clinton, Ohio
Boat: C&C Landfall 35 HiHo
Posts: 112
Re: Wet Snail 32

Hope it comes together for you! I have purchased several boats that have great structures and ended up having a great boat for far less than if I would have bought a the same boat but in useable condition. Same age but you still have to do all the upgrades anyhow. The real plus is not only will you save money but you will know the boat inside and out!! Got my fingers crossed for you!
__________________
Hi Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:39   #7
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 4,034
Re: Wet Snail 32

Love the Westsails. If the price is right, you have the refit money, the skills (and/or the friends), and you have the time, then this could be a great boat. If any of those things are lacking then you might find it cheaper and easier to look for one that doesn't have major problems. They are out there.

If this really is your first boat, and not knowing anything else about your needs/abilities, I'd suggest you take a pass. If you're in the market for a mid-30s classic cruiser (a great choice ), there are lots of options out there. I'd suggest getting some experience actually sailing, and preferably cruising, on a number of boats that move your heart.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 06:46   #8
Registered User
 
Strait Shooter's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Straits of Juan De Fuca
Boat: Ingrid
Posts: 786
Re: Wet Snail 32

I'm 2 1/2 years into refitting my Ingrid. I probably have another 2 to go before she's ready. I totally gutted the boat and started over again. The costs were high, the times longer than I thought, but in the end I am getting the boat I wanted.

If you have the tools, the skills (which can be obtained), the money and the time there is absolutely nothing better in the world than transforming a POS boat into a well founded cruising capable sailboat. Of course that's just my opinion.

If you realistically CAN'T perform under these circumstances, then you really should just buy a boat closest to your desires and go.

It sounds like you have already found a likely candidate. The Westsails are ass kicking boats, or I should say they CAN be. The question is, can YOU do it?


John
__________________
"Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.” (Michael Leboeuf)
Strait Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 07:01   #9
Senior Cruiser
 
Kenomac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere in the Adriatic Sea
Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter
Posts: 8,515
Re: Westsail 32

Friends of ours were in the market to buy a 30yr old 30ft boat in the $30k range. They looked at a Catalina 30 with an asking price of $30k, then placed an offer of $11k. To their absolute shock... offer accepted! They went sailing two weeks later.

If you like working on boats, go for the Westsail! But you need to know, there are other ways to reach the same goal.

Another story: Nearly everyday on our bike ride, my wife and I pass a house on the river with a wooden boat up on blocks and 1/3 finished, approx 30ft covered with a clear plastic tent... It's been there for over 20 years! My wife always comments on how many years the guy could have been out sailing if only he'd not chosen to do-it-himself.

Don't let someone else's nightmare become your own.
__________________
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 07:08   #10
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Wet Snail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
I found a Westie 32 that has everything that Capt. Fatty says to look for and what I need.... a major problem, a ticking clock, and the right price range.
She's been barned for a major refit, as yet incomplete. (The major problem). She has all the paint and fiberglass redone from the boot top up, but still needs the bottom painted. Everything in the interior has been removed, but is stored, needs re-installed and evaluated. Has a rebuilt Perkins M50. Everything is there, allegedly.
(The ticking clock)- she will be sold by 12 DEC, or scrapped.

So, hold your breath, folks. This wannabe may soon be a nearly there! Lots of sweat equity involved, but if everything I've read is correct, the Westies are one of the safest boats out there.
Having done this a few times, I can tell you that nothing is as it seems. Who put the 12 DEC. notation on the boat? Why would one scrap a boat if "everything is there".
If the vessel was $10K or less...maybe. Over that amount, probably not. I've seen a few turnkey W32s in Ca. go in the low to mid 30s. And please...you do yourself nor the boat any justice by using the derogatory term "Wet snail"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You could end up working on that boat for years and spending loads of money. Find something that already works and floats and get out and start having fun.
It's always twice the time and three times the money you first estimate it to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
OR, as everything is spozedly there, it would take only a short time for himself and a friend to refit and go.

would be a wonderful cruising boat.

knowledge of boat comes from doing the refit...lol so you would know your own boat very well.
Has that worked for you?
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 08:41   #11
Registered User
 
S/V Alchemy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Toronto
Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Posts: 4,576
Re: Westsail 32

Offer a small bag of cash, i.e. call their bluff.

While a WS 32 is too conservative even for me, a steel boat owner, they are undoubtedly "get you around and get you home" boats. If I were younger, and had the prospect of more years but fewer bucks, it would be a definite consideration as a couples' cruiser.

If you do get it, look up the works of Ferenc Mate, one of the oddest writers to ever scribble about refits...and a guy who built a W 32 "from a bare hull".
__________________
Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 09:28   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,382
Re: Westsail 32

Be sure to carefully inspect the decks. How are they constructed? A number of Westsails were teak over plywood and the plywood will rot over time unless very, very carefully maintained.

Rotten decks would make this a no go unless they pay you to take the boat off their hands.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 09:40   #13
Registered User
 
cburger's Avatar

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Nyack, NY
Boat: Westsail 32
Posts: 1,547
Images: 1
Re: Westsail 32

While there is no question that the W32 is a safe boat, there are a lot of other factors that go in to safety on the water, skippers skills, common sense. However this is a question about suitability of a particular purchase situation. Their have already been a lot of spot on answers in the thread, The ones warning you about the amount of time involved with marine repairs are astute, usually three to four times the amount of time you have estimated. Your ability and experience level are also very important, if you have to hire out a good amount of the anticipated work professional marine technicians costs could easily exceed the purchase price and materials cost of the boat depending. It would also be very important to consider very carefully what you want to use the vessel for, i.e short day sail trips, around the buoy racing you might consider a different boat. Also the bit about the boat being scrapped if they don't get a particular price sounds very strange, why don't they give it to you for free. You will be much better off in the long run if you drive the absolute hardest deal you can because the costs will add up even if you do all the work yourself. I am easily 30k in materials cost and going on the 9th year of a major refit and did all work myself. Would I have changed anything in retrospect, not a chance, for me life is about the challenge and the knowledge I have garnered as a result of the project. In closing good luck what ever your decision is and there is a very active, knowledgeable Westsail Owners Association who a giving of their time to help new members to our "Cult"

Peace
__________________
"All men are created equal, some are just more equal than others"
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 09:51   #14
cruiser

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Tampa to New York
Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Posts: 1,594
Re: Westsail 32

I bought my boat as "totalled" from hurricane damage. $1000 later having the mast welded I was sailing, Since then Ive logged about 30k miles and am still doing the refit. My idea was get the rig up and solid, engine running and worry about everything else as time and money permit. I gotta chuckle that some people want their boats in pristine new condition before theyll take it off stands or leave the dock. Id still be sitting at the dock now if that were my modus operandi. Get the major required systems up and working and go sailing. the rest will come with time. Also you will have a chance to come across the things the boat needs without spending a fortune. Most of the upgrades done were done with used parts obtained through trades for canvas work(my trade) along with marine yard sales like the one jsi puts on annually. It doesnt have to cost 3x what you planned if your not in such a hurry and network with the boating community. Boatyard dumpsters regularly contain gems that people throw away when upgrading. I recently just missed a wilcox crittendon head that was thrown away. The guy told me it was in the dumpster at the yard but the truck got there before I did (I raced there immediately)and replaced the full dumpster. One easy money saver is I have solar,windgen,shore power inside boat all wired with old shore power cords that had been rescued from dumpsters, thrown out because of worn out terminals. Would have cost hundreds to replace with new equivalent wiring.
__________________
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 10:05   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 371
Re: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
I bought my boat as "totalled" from hurricane damage. $1000 later having the mast welded I was sailing, Since then Ive logged about 30k miles and am still doing the refit. My idea was get the rig up and solid, engine running and worry about everything else as time and money permit. I gotta chuckle that some people want their boats in pristine new condition before theyll take it off stands or leave the dock. Id still be sitting at the dock now if that were my modus operandi. Get the major required systems up and working and go sailing. the rest will come with time. Also you will have a chance to come across the things the boat needs without spending a fortune. Most of the upgrades done were done with used parts obtained through trades for canvas work(my trade) along with marine yard sales like the one jsi puts on annually. It doesnt have to cost 3x what you planned if your not in such a hurry and network with the boating community. Boatyard dumpsters regularly contain gems that people throw away when upgrading. I recently just missed a wilcox crittendon head that was thrown away. The guy told me it was in the dumpster at the yard but the truck got there before I did (I raced there immediately)and replaced the full dumpster. One easy money saver is I have solar,windgen,shore power inside boat all wired with old shore power cords that had been rescued from dumpsters, thrown out because of worn out terminals. Would have cost hundreds to replace with new equivalent wiring.
Good Modus Operandi. I did the same. Bleed buckets until I got the rigging, structural, and mechanicals sorted. Now I sail more than all the harbor queens and finishing the interior and cosmetics you quickly realize are wholly unnecessary.

By that I mean many people go down below and think the boat is torched but it sails beautifully and what you realize is under all the cosmesis is a boat. Many boats are cosmetically sound but crappy otherwise. By sailing and sorting out the running gear and systems as you go you are able to really get things sorted to your liking and know how to make it work.

After the first 6 months I loved it, the next 6 months I hated it, then hot/cold for 6 months. Now by perservering I am laughing everytime I'm out there.
__________________

__________________
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.