Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 19:08   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Westsail 32

My guess, and it is just that, is that the idea is to stop the water going back into what appears to be a cockpit without coamings, thereby preventing a wet bum. It would only work for small amounts but anything is better than nothing.

Coops.
Old 30-11-2013, 20:05   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Actually found the cockpit to be quite comfortable. Used those old flotation cushions against the bulwarks and way more comfortable than the fixed back rest cockpit I have now. Plenty of room to lounge for two couples.

The boat can scoop water into the lee walkway and flood the cockpit. Only had it happen on a broad reach with the wind blowing 25 plus and boat averaging 7 plus knots. Made up some cockpit back boards that would stop the water coming aft but didn't install them before we sold the boat. Strangely, the couple that bought the boat from me sailed her to SoPac twice but never installed them. The present owner used the boat in a dinner cruise business and also didn't change the cockpit.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 20:07   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I would call that a dam if I know. Never saw that before. Usually you want the water to get off deck. Having a dam if I know stopping the water seems odd. Maybe I'm missng what that picture is.
It looks like there is a scupper next to that deck drain, and the dam placed aft of that would direct the water through the scupper (and into the drain) and over the side. I can't tell for sure about the scupper, but Bill Crealock designed that boat and mine, and mine has the scupper in about the same place.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:49   #49

Boat: PSC 34
Might be like the PSC, where you can plug the scupper, close the drain through hull and open the water tank fill to catch rain water.
Old 01-12-2013, 13:19   #50

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Companionway boards are commonly called washboards (because they're about the size of an old-fashioned washboard) or dropboards (because they drop into the slot).

I have no idea what those scupperboards might properly be called. A short board used to divert on-deck water is sometimes called a dam.
Sorry, I don't agree. I've heard them called Weatherboards, or Hatch Drop-in Boards (shortened to Hatch Boards) but not Washboards because washboards in boat construction is something else again. Washboards are an extension to the freeboard forward to prevent water from washing along the deck into the cockpit according to a couple boatbuilding books.
Old 01-12-2013, 13:31   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Sorry, I don't agree. I've heard them called Weatherboards, or Hatch Drop-in Boards (shortened to Hatch Boards) but not Washboards because washboards in boat construction is something else again. Washboards are an extension to the freeboard forward to prevent water from washing along the deck into the cockpit according to a couple boatbuilding books.
You are correct about the traditional washboard, but I have definitely heard hatch boards also called washboards. Here is a link to a company making acrylic drop-in "washboards". That's just one example. Google will find many others. It may not be technically correct, but it is somewhat common usage.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 13:54   #52

Looks like it's gone. Someone got to her first....
lostsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 15:03   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
Two ways to look at it and I'd look at it as an opportunity to look for something even better and more sailable condition.

kind regards,
Old 01-12-2013, 15:07   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
You are correct about the traditional washboard, but I have definitely heard hatch boards also called washboards. Here is a link to a company making acrylic drop-in "washboards". That's just one example. Google will find many others. It may not be technically correct, but it is somewhat common usage.
Ok, just a traditionalist here trying to maintain the old language hence my snippy remark about washboards being for laundry.

I've also seen and heard fenders referred to as bumpers and that one nearly sends me into orbit.

Now you know how to push my buttons.
Old 01-12-2013, 16:19   #55

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

lost sheep, sorry about the WS, there are plenty of boats out there. what are you looking for? have you already posted that somewhere?
Old 01-12-2013, 17:26   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Ok, just a traditionalist here trying to maintain the old language hence my snippy remark about washboards being for laundry.

I've also seen and heard fenders referred to as bumpers and that one nearly sends me into orbit.

Now you know how to push my buttons.
Whatever you do then do not work in a chandlery. "Bumpers", "buffers", "bameeny's",(bimini's), "cleats for clears", (he meant eyelets), "boat plugs"(bungs), "indicators" (port and starboard lights) The list goes on and on.

Coops.
Old 01-12-2013, 17:30   #57

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsheep View Post
Sorry, all this talk here on this thread and I had the extra cash laying around.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Whatever you do then do not work in a chandlery. "Bumpers", "buffers", "bameeny's",(bimini's), "cleats for clears", (he meant eyelets), "boat plugs"(bungs), "indicators" (port and starboard lights) The list goes on and on.

Coops.
Wow! Hadn't thought of that segment of the boating profession and how they have to deal with the language.
Old 02-12-2013, 13:29   #59

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Many years ago I used to buy and sell auction and insurance boats to pay form my habit and my daughters college tuition. My advice is to look for something that's been completed or near completed but needs some work.
What do you mean by "gutted"?
Is the interior there but needs wiring and some finish work? Then OK maybe.
What do you mean by parts all there? Lots of small parts can add up quick.
I picked up an auction Westsail 32 with everything, including offshore safety gear and a working SSB and rebuilt Perkins 4108 for less than I paid for the 15 year old pickup truck I drove to the auction in (at a yard auction). All it needed was cleaning, some TLC and some wiring debugging.
Make sure the deal is all you think it is before getting into it, I've seen too many half finished boats sitting with lots of expensive gear on them going nowhere.
If it is all you think, and all the gear is there, and your crazy enough to enjoy the work, then hell, go for it.
Are you married? If so, unless the other half is as enthusiastic as you it could raise issues, my first wife wasn't (but now misses it), my second wife is as crazy as me and is in there doing the hard work with me.
Was it a kit boat or factory finished originally? It makes a difference, they were sold both ways, if it was a kit boat look at the work that's been done with a critical eye, it all depends on who worked on it.
Good solid boats originally, depends on how it was treated over the years.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 15:47   #60
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Westsail 32

Likely to someone who was telling you it was a bad buy...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail