Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2013, 09:46   #31

Re: Westsail 32

lostsheep i think i know the add you are talking about. 4000 dollars right? Its cool but its all parts man like a kit. There is 15000 westsail 32 all ready no osmosis they say perfect condition. Same site
Tsofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 09:52   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We have been refitting a W32 for about 4 years now. It has been a big job and we still have a lot left to do before we leave in a year. Do not underestimate the costs. We bought the boat for 30k and will have put at least double that back into her before she she is done.

Many people say they're slow and wet. Our boat has drop boards that prevent water from sloshing down the decks into the cockpit. If the wind gets about 15kts, she'll do hull speed easy. Most of the bad commentary on speed about the W32 comes from light airs I think, they do take some to get em moving. But they were built for open ocean and high winds, in that environment they're good passage makers and do pretty well speed wise.

Recently my wife and I participated in the Harvest Moon Regatta on a W32 and we were 14th overall out of about 110 boats. Boat for boat we beat some of the spinnaker fleet, which isn't bad.

We averaged 6.9kts.

In our home waters in about 15kts of wind we were doing about 7kts over ground, with just a slight current.

Target.... Saw your boat 6 mo ago at the dock when we met up with Shana and Brian (lots of fun!) .... You boat looked great!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 09:57   #33

it's a great deal for someone who wants to build a boat. It sounds like that is where it's condition is though. You are likely talking 2 years working after work, and most every weekend to get it done. Not to mention a whole lot of money... hard to assess without a list of what's there and what's not. But would be simple to drop an additional 50k on it. Just keep it in mind.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 10:04   #34

Personally i wouldn't do it. i saw the ad too and i was tempted do about 2 min. But i want something that already sails and work i need to do is ok as long as i sail now. Would you buy a nice car but you would have to keep on putting it together for like 2 years before you drive it? I am not retired to have this time available. I want something to learn on sailing first and at the same time learn the maintenance. I don't want to start by being a servant to the boat. Maybe if already had an other small boat....
Tsofli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 10:08   #35

I've heard of a lot of people with the sailing dream who really dont even know if they like living aboard and cruising. Some of them work on a boat for years only to find out after their first offshore experience it's not for them. Personally known people who did this and once they got to San Diego walked off the boat and sold it.
OP: have you sailed much? If not, should you get a boat you can use for a while first?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 10:56   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Target.... Saw your boat 6 mo ago at the dock when we met up with Shana and Brian (lots of fun!) .... You boat looked great!

Thanks! Next time you guys are down here please give us a ring, we've been meaning to meet up with Brian and Shana again and would love to meet you too.
Old 30-11-2013, 11:22   #37

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
The "drop boards" you are referring to are called "cockpit combings".
If I'm understanding you correctly.

Actually I just wanted an excuse to bump this back into the recent posts.
I don't think that's what they meant. I think what they meant was a system to secure the companionway and are called hatch boards by some.
Old 30-11-2013, 11:25   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
I don't think that's what they meant. I think what they meant was a system to secure the companionway and are called hatch boards by some.
No, actually he is right, I should have not called it drop boards. I know that is the companion way, I guess I had a brain fart in my terminology. But you were right to think that. In any event, here are some photos of what I was talking about:

Old 30-11-2013, 11:26   #39

Oh, I think its a bargain if you don't mind a couple year's work putting it together before sailing it. If you do it full time you might get it together just enough to sail in a year. In other words, it is a project even though a lot seems to be done already.

They really are great boats and were everyone's dream cruiser 30 years ago. Many folks still think they are the greatest. They are not slow except trying to point to weather in light winds. That's not what they were designed to do.

kind regards,
Old 30-11-2013, 13:32   #40

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsofli View Post
Personally i wouldn't do it. i saw the ad too and i was tempted do about 2 min. But i want something that already sails and work i need to do is ok as long as i sail now. Would you buy a nice car but you would have to keep on putting it together for like 2 years before you drive it? I am not retired to have this time available. I want something to learn on sailing first and at the same time learn the maintenance. I don't want to start by being a servant to the boat. Maybe if already had an other small boat....
I have in many accounts and had a better fulfilled life for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Feb_07_001.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	71338   Click image for larger version

Name:	1732823_2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	71339  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1010.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	71340   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-2011 004.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	71341  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 13:38   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Thanks! Next time you guys are down here please give us a ring, we've been meaning to meet up with Brian and Shana again and would love to meet you too.
A definite plan to give you a shout before we head down that way again! It would be great to meet you guys, see Shana & Brian again, and possibly meet up with some more CFr's... Just got back from Cali and the Morgan hopping the islands out there... Just a TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD bit colder here!

Talk soon.....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 14:49   #42

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
No, actually he is right, I should have not called it drop boards. I know that is the companion way, I guess I had a brain fart in my terminology. But you were right to think that. In any event, here are some photos of what I was talking about:

I know I shouldn't say this but the boards for the companionway are called washboards.
Are said boards also referred to as drop boards? If so I've never heard them called that before. Wouldn't that jinx you to "drop" them overboard?
I'm assuming you must be right though as Dani says your a walking encyclopedia.
But, hey, to be honest I have zero formal education.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 17:41   #43

Quote:

Pictures worth a thousand words. I have no idea what they would be called because I've never seen that before.

Washboards are for laundry. Hatch boards are to keep water out of your companionway.

kind regards,
Old 30-11-2013, 17:58   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Companionway boards are commonly called washboards (because they're about the size of an old-fashioned washboard) or dropboards (because they drop into the slot).

I have no idea what those scupperboards might properly be called. A short board used to divert on-deck water is sometimes called a dam.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2013, 18:11   #45

Boat: PETERSON 44
I would call that a dam if I know. Never saw that before. Usually you want the water to get off deck. Having a dam if I know stopping the water seems odd. Maybe I'm missng what that picture is.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail