Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 13:58   #1

Westsail 28 Vs Baba 30

I have a two boats that i am interested in...Both are in very good condition. The Baba is a little larger and has a very nice interior...The Westsail has a factory finished interior and is nice as well. The Baba has Teak decks and cockpit...the Westsail does not. I have not sailed either boat and would like to get some opinions from those who have sailed on both.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:07   #2

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter
Re: Westsail 28 Vs Baba 30

Both are very slow and heavy; I have delivered both and would prefer the Baba over the "wetsnail", but not by much..... Do you value performance??? Remember, getting there at 3 knots can take forever... especially in bad weather....

Teak decks are a pain in the wallet, even if you do all the back breaking labor yourself..... I should know, I just replaced them on a 52' Kanter. Avoid them or be prepared to refit at great expense.
Fair Winds,
Dr. Michele
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:10   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Based on looks alone, I would prefer the Baba. Truth be told, I wouldn't really want either, as I think they are both too small and too slow. Now a Hans Christian 33 on the other hand...

*DROOL*
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:13   #4

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Between the 2- the Baba. $10 says she will sail faster, point higher and be more comfortable than you would think.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 14:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Based on looks alone, I would prefer the Baba. Truth be told, I wouldn't really want either, as I think they are both too small and too slow. Now a Hans Christian 33 on the other hand...

*DROOL*
Ha ...If i could afford a HC 33 i would buy it. I just came across these two boats...one is owned by a bank and the other is for sale by owner. I like the traditional looks of both.
Old 11-04-2011, 15:16   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I haven't sailed the Westsail 28, but I use to own a Baba 30. They sail better than you might think. The underbody is more modern than the WS I suspect due to the cutaway forefoot, plus the Baba weighs a bit "less" and has a little more waterline. By the way, they will out sail a HC 33, I know. Friends use to own a HC33 and they ended up selling and buying our Baba ... they would agree.
Old 11-04-2011, 15:55   #7

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Thanks for reaffirming my thoughts Doodles. There is one common denominator of all Perry boats and that is how well they sail. There are faster boats, there are more seakindly boats but Perry's designs tend hit all the requirements right in the middle. I think that's why so many people are fans of his designs- they offer a great compromise between extremes on the boat scale.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 16:19   #8

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

If you're of somewhat smaller stature both boats would be gteat for a singlehander. Personally I'd take our Hans Christian 34T (Bob Perry's design) over either one for a singlehander, but then I'm 6'1" and even find it's berths a little cramped. It also easily outsails a Hans 33.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 16:21   #9

I have not sailed a B., but I have looked at both. It looks to me like the WS has more stowage space. To me that would be more important in the long run given my personal sailing vs an anchoring ratio ( 10% / 90%).
spostamento nobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 19:12   #10

Thanks for the opinions....I think im leaning more towards the Baba. The only thing i am worried about is the teak decks. There was a survey done about a year ago and it says the teak decks are in good shape but i know its probably a matter of time before they will need attention....I have never had a boat with teak decking so i dont know alot about them.
Old 11-04-2011, 19:15   #11

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Good chance you'll learn.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:07   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnautilus
Both are very slow and heavy; I have delivered both and would prefer the Baba over the "wetsnail", but not by much..... Do you value performance??? Remember, getting there at 3 knots can take forever... especially in bad weather....

Teak decks are a pain in the wallet, even if you do all the back breaking labor yourself..... I should know, I just replaced them on a 52' Kanter. Avoid them or be prepared to refit at great expense.
Fair Winds,
Dr. Michele
Do you remember what the headroom was in the westsail ?? I'm about 6' tall .
Old 12-04-2011, 13:10   #13

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

I don't specifically recall a surplus or shortage of headroom, but I am a 5'6" woman, so it usually is not a big issue.

I would highly encourage you to sail one of these boats; even if you have to bribe an owner somewhere.. If you are looking for a liveaboard dockominium, these boats are short on living room for their size. If you are truly looking for a sailing boat, these are really pooor performers. Just my opinion... I understand the price may be right, but it is discouraging to put a ton of work into a boat and then not have it suit you.
Regards.
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 18:41   #14

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I'm 6'2 and can stand upright (but just barely) in the Baba 30. Don't know about the Westsail. I almost bought a Baba but the wooden spars and the name ( Seven C's) put me off.

As for the dockominium aspect, do you prefer the IKEA look or a smallish college fraternity house oozing teak? If the latter, get the Baba. An oriental runner is de rigeur in a Baba.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 19:28   #15

Boat: a sailing boat

The thing I do not like about the Westsail is its cockpit. The thing I like about the Westsail is its ... cockpit.

Baba looks like the one that should sail better in less wind. Westsail looks like the one that can be used to chop the reef with. (But do not try this at home with any boat).

I do not like teak decks, bowsprits and outboard chainplates.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote