Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 19:54   #16

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: Westsail 28 Vs Baba 30

Not sure if the OP is thinking of living aboard, but since we lived aboard ours for a couple years I will say we had no problems with the space and inside height and I'm 6' 1". We found it quite roomy for a couple.

We bought not the last hull, but I think the last one the old dealer Flying Dutchman in Seattle owned. The later models like ours had aluminum spars not wood, and less teak around the cockpit and on the cabin top but still PLENTY of teak. We loved the look but oh the maintenance ... never again.
Old 13-04-2011, 11:37   #17

I won't be living aboard and don't mind the teak....I would rather not have the teak decks though. This is one of the newer ones with aluminum spars and less teak in the cockpit.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 12:07   #18

Boat: Brewer 44

I am about to buy a Westsail 28 locally that has not been advertised. Where is the one you are looking at located?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 15:16   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 265, 26.5 ft

Might want to look at the Union 36 boats also. There are a few out there for sale, seem to have a nice layout for living. Derived from the Hans Christian 36 mold i believe without the $$ name attached.
hard-a-ground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 15:45   #20

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I do not like teak decks, bowsprits and outboard chainplates.

b.
i understand the teak deck part, but the other two, really, i mean come on, no way..
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 16:07   #21

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard-a-ground View Post
Might want to look at the Union 36 boats also. There are a few out there for sale, seem to have a nice layout for living. Derived from the Hans Christian 36 mold i believe without the $$ name attached.
Fyi, I just posted some pictures on my profile album of our Union Boat Company, Bob Perry designed, Hans Christian 34T, this is the boat both the Hans 36 and Union 36 copied, and yes it's for sale.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 17:51   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by pressuredrop View Post
i understand the teak deck part, but the other two, really, i mean come on, no way..
a) get a longer mast,
b) only till you rub your off at while docked alongside a rough wall,

Let's not forget the fact that both are double-enders and as such not most conductive to being stern-to. The bowsprit makes it more difficult to climb the boat thru the bow AND is a danger to any absent-minded dock walker. I am a dock walker and I got my share of bruises by now. Then, there is the question of how the mast is supported. If the bowsprit is just a sprit to keep the kite poled out then no problem (and it will very likely be retactable - this is the sprit I do like). But if the outer stay supports the mast and runs from the bowsprit, what supports the mast if you break the bowsprit (or lose the bobstay)?

I found outer chainplates both too exposed and prone to leaks. If made in SS, they will also get their share of sun/salt/and sikaflex which are all conductive to pitting. Not to say that inboard chainplates do not have their set of challenges. But at least they stay put in very unwelcome but at times inevitable close encounters with floating, or not, objects.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:02   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnorv View Post
Fyi, I just posted some pictures on my profile album of our Union Boat Company, Bob Perry designed, Hans Christian 34T, this is the boat both the Hans 36 and Union 36 copied, and yes it's for sale.
Very nice....I almost bought a Union 36 a few months ago but someone else beat me to it. Too bad im in Florida. I dont really need a boat that big but if i found one for a good price i would be interested.
Old 16-04-2011, 09:07   #24
cruiser

I have always thought the Westsail 28 was a very poor design.
The pudgy little Baba 30 will surprise you with it's performance.
bob perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:10   #25

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

So basically you don't like traditionally-styled cruising boats? I love bowsprits and outboard chainplates. I think that's how they should all be made.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 09:44   #26

Boat: Westsail 32

I always try to read these question threads with an open mind....
It is always predictable what the replies will be too!
The most obvious thing learned is that all boats have there good points and all boats have there short comings.
The most obvious observation should be that no two people will totally agree!
I will chime in with my .02 cents worth too!
If YOU like the look and style, If YOU like the layout, If YOU can live with the one to two percent difference in performance...... For gods sake buy the boat that YOU like!

Stepping off of soapbox now!
Tinman 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 10:12   #27
cruiser

I like that look and style. I even like outboard chainplates. It's the shape of the hull that I have a problem with.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:38   #28

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Sorry, Bob, my post was meant as a response to Barnakiel. I should have specified. You're saying you have a problem with the hull shape of the WS28? Of all the double-enders that I'm familiar with, the WS is probably my least favorite from an aesthetic standpoint.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 11:02   #29

What are the differences between the earlier Babas and the newer ones ...other than the wooden spars ?
Old 16-04-2011, 11:21   #30
cruiser

Lost:
The newer Babas are called Tashiba 31's and they are an entirly different hull form with more deadrise and much flatter rocker. Their entries are finer and they have a harder turn to the bilge. They are far superior boats to the original Baba 30's.

If you stay within the Baba 30 hull mold series there is no difference other than options. They are nice boats.

Low:
I kind of figured that. I have no probem with the aesthetics of the Westsail 28 but that hull shape is awful.