Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2014, 18:05   #1

Boat: CSY 44 wo "Hoot Mon"
Westerly cirrus 22

Does anyone know any thing about this boat. Thanks
widget55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 18:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Westerly cirrus 22

Tough litte boats, have completed the Azores Jester.. sailed down to the Med... roomy for the size...
CIRRUS 22 (WESTERLY)

Hull Type: Fin w/spade rudder Rig Type: Fractional Sloop LOA: 22.00' / 6.71m LWL: 19.00' / 5.79m Beam: 8.00' / 2.44m Listed SA: 233 ft2 / 21.65 m2 Draft (max.) 3.50' / 1.07m Draft (min.) Disp. 3240 lbs./ 1470 kgs. Ballast: 1455 lbs. / 660 kgs. SA/Disp.: 17.07 Bal./Disp.: 44.90% Disp./Len.: 210.88 Designer: John Butler Builder: Westerly Marine Ltd. (UK) Construct.: FG Bal. type: First Built: 1968 Last Built: 1972 # Built: 398 AUXILIARY POWER (orig. equip.) Make: Volvo Model: MD1 Type: Diesel HP: RIG DIMENSIONS KEY I: 26.00' / 7.92m J: 8.67' / 2.64m P: 26.67' / 8.13m E: 9.00' / 2.74m PY: EY: SPL: ISP: SA(Fore.): 112.71 ft2 / 10.47 m2 SA(Main): 120.02 ft2 / 11.15 m2 Total(calc.)SA: 232.73 ft2 / 21.62 m2 DL ratio: 210.88 SA/Disp: 17.05 Est. Forestay Len.: 27.41' / 8.35m BUILDERS (past & present) More about & boats built by: Westerly Marine Construction Ltd. DESIGNER More about & boats designed by: John A. Butler RELATED LINKS Westerly Owners Association www.westerly-owners.co.uk NOTES The diesel inboard was an option.
Some have taller rigs

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2014, 05:23   #3

Re: Westerly cirrus 22

We have a csy 44 but it has a 61/2 draft. We were looking for an affordable good blue water sailboat with a small draft to go on the icw and if need be open water. We found a trailable westerly cirrus 22 but they are asking 2000.00 The inside needs alot of work but the outside and inboard disel motor are good. If we can get the boat for 1500.00 I think we would look at it. We feel that this boat would be ok to trailer since the mast goes up and down with a pivot. This boat is no doubt a fixer upper...big time. We do not want to be boat poor when we start to cruise. Hope to hear
Old 27-01-2014, 05:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's about right.. even bordering cheap for project boat like this in the UK.. a reasonable sailaway goes for around £3750 over here.. but haggling is good practice..

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 27-01-2014, 06:12   #5

So is 3750 in us money or UK... how long y have your boat
Old 28-01-2014, 03:45   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

That's GBP (UK).... not had one myself but a friend and several customers at a yard I worked for years ago owned em..
The builders made good strong hulls.. I owned a 31ft Longbow by the same builders.. as far as I'm concerned Westerly's Rock..

Old 01-02-2014, 12:15   #7

Boat: 20' Montego

I owned a Cirrus for ten years and still miss her. An overbuilt non balsa core boat. I had pretty sever blistering and ground the blisters of, filled on the voids and epoxied the hull. vinyl headliner was backed with foam which died. Removed the old and after vacuuming the remaining foam off the top used the old vinyl as a pattern and glued the replacement up. You should learn about Cirrus restoration on Google. A fine, safe confidence building boat suitable for off shore. Built for North Sea UK. There was a Super Cirrus with a slightly bigger rig. Some had inboards diesels. Compares favorably to the Flicka.
raybrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2019, 10:56   #8

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

Very strong boats, built to Lloyds A1A. And they sail well, for what they are.

If the rig, motor, and steering works, go for it. (I would add roller furling on the jib, and a tiller pilot, but that's just me)

Don't worry about the interior, just clean it up, and go sailing!

None of the interior wood is structural, except the bulkheads (and there's not much wood, anyway.

Gut the interior as needed, scrape it down, wash, paint, and go sailing! Get some foam for the bunk, outdoor chair (chaise longue) pads for the seats and cockpits from the outdoor section of the big box store.

Don't work too hard where the headliner is torn out. You'll cover it with more headliner, or something, when you get around to it. Just take off everything loose, and paint (and go sailing!)

Wire the basics, or portable LED running lights, and LED interior lights to get you started. Putter on wiring and trim as you cruise. Once you figure out your inside trim, make or buy a big stack, varnish it, get a fine tooth saw, or a good hack saw, for fine cuts, and cut and put in trim without disturbing the interior, as you feel like it. Us SS screws with (or without) cup washers, and leave them showing. Space them and line them up carefully for a finished look.

You can glue in new headliner with water based contact cement (wait for dry weather) or wait for fall, empty the boat, and do it all at once. Or stick in foam, like camping pads, with duct tape, and hang nice curtain material (from the recycle store) over the pads.

Great boat, great plan. Expensive surprises unlikely, if you keep it simple.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 02:59   #9

I own one. I brought her in January 2019 for a refurb project and to teach my partner how to sail. I’ll sell her in a couple of years for a 40’ish when I sell up and sail away to sunnier climes.

Let me know if you have any questions. Everyone that sees her raves about them and I love her.

Mine is called Cedric The Saxon which appears in the book The Westerly Story if you have a copy.

Fair Winds.
OceanPilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2019, 11:53   #10

OceanPilgrim. We are based in Sweden and have a Cirrus that needs a lot of job. We hope to sail here in a couple of years. Do You know the P and E messure for the mainsail of Your Cirrus? What engine do You have?
Alvar is offline   Reply With Quote