Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2013, 08:49   #16

Boat: F&C 44' KETCH
Re: West Florida Coastline: Looking property w/Deep Canals

BeliezeSailor-- I am looking to buy a property with a Dock so I can have the boat in the backyard. I will be using it frequently-- and working on it constantly to rig it for Blue Water long distance sailing...

**Like I said** I do not have a 9' DRAFT-- i was looking for Rivers or Deep, well known Canals on the West Side of FL... The more I read these posts-- the more it makes sense to choose the EAST side of Florida-- and not tinker with the West side (which I am more familiar with) since I am wanting water sailing">Blue Water sailing...

@ SailorCHIC-- thank you-- that does make sense and does represent a crazy risk factor!!

Appreciate all of the comments-- more insightful than I expected...

PUDDLE JUMPER II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 17:01   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
What is the actual draft?

belizesailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 21:12   #18

Boat: 1976 Pearson 365 Ketch

One key phrase to use in an online search in south Florida is "sailboat access" which simply means 'no low bridges' to obstruct your rig. It is not an indication of water depth.
bioandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2013, 07:13   #19

Boat: Catalina 470
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Since you don't need 9 feet of water, I would continue looking on the West Coast of Florida, since it is generally cheaper than the Eastcoast and is hit less by hurricanes.

If you don't need to be in Tampa, then I would look in Southwest Florida around Charlotte Harbor from Fort Myers to Sarasota. This area has some nice canal homes.

Sailing in West Florida takes some getting used to, but is not impossible with a keel of 6 feet, anything longer will restrict you badly, not only here but throughout the Caribbean.

We are in Punta Gorda on Charlotte Harbor and in June 2013 found a 1740 sq ft home with a pool and 140 feet of seawall for $294k. We had to extend the dock to accommodate our boat, but that is not a big problem with so much seawall and a very easy permit process. The seawall is maintained by the City for an additional tax of $500 per year, which is a bargain for my length of seawall.

Many cities with canal homes publish their most recent Hydrographic Surveys on line, which will give you an idea of water depths.

There are several relators down here that specialize in Canal Homes and can point you in the right direction.

Tom Jeremiason
SV Camelot
Punta Gorda, Florida
jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote

florida, rope

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: