Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2018, 10:47   #16

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
Re: We're going to actually attempt this...

I would suggest you pass on this vessel unless you want to spend untold time and money on her, having lived in Taiwan and visited most of the yards in the 80'S, i can say there is a lot to be desired in these boats, yes , lots of glass in the hull, but tankage is a problem, rotten black iron fuel tankage, lousy stainless steel water tanks, both probably needing replacing and decks with teak leaking over the year's and the list goes on and on, even given a free one is problematical, unless you want to build a boat, instead of cruising, i'm a shipwright by trade, been doing this over 50 year's and have seen this scenario more times than i can recall, with many never completed, or much more money invested than anticipated, never a pleasant experience, iv'e seen second mortgages, divorces over this, lots of good boat's out there, for the money you have to invest, without any drama, it's a buyers market, don't worry about electronics, focus on the hull and rig and hire a surveyor, good luck.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:54   #17

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Take a good hard look at the Islander 36' Freeport. It may not be the best sailing boat but as a Bob Perry designed, 2 people liveaboard, it is hard to beat. IMHO. They are usually priced in the 55-65 K range. Next maybe the Passport 40'. But more likely $125 K +-. Southern CAL. is a great place to buy a boat as a lot of folks from the NW set out to sail around the world and either one dies or they both bail out when they get that far South. It seems the further North you go the more expensive the boats.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 13:02   #18
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
I would suggest you pass on this vessel unless you want to spend untold time and money on her, having lived in Taiwan and visited most of the yards in the 80'S, i can say there is a lot to be desired in these boats, yes , lots of glass in the hull, but tankage is a problem, rotten black iron fuel tankage, lousy stainless steel water tanks, both probably needing replacing and decks with teak leaking over the year's and the list goes on and on, even given a free one is problematical, unless you want to build a boat, instead of cruising, i'm a shipwright by trade, been doing this over 50 year's and have seen this scenario more times than i can recall, with many never completed, or much more money invested than anticipated, never a pleasant experience, iv'e seen second mortgages, divorces over this, lots of good boat's out there, for the money you have to invest, without any drama, it's a buyers market, don't worry about electronics, focus on the hull and rig and hire a surveyor, good luck.
Hey Dougtiff, I think you're right i will pass on this type of boat. I don't know what I was thinking but that's why I come here, to bring me back down a notch or three.
FEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 13:10   #19
FEC

So one of my train of thoughts is perhaps buy a boat at a great price that needs some loving but not so much that it's just all fixing and no sailing and the cost to "bring up to code" isn't debilitating. With that in mind, I found this boat for sale by national liquidators, seems like all the big things are in order but what do I know. Can better eyes than mine look over this one and give me any pros and cons please?
, 1991 Beneteau Oceanis 500 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com,
Old 12-05-2018, 14:28   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

FEC, would echo what has been already mentioned, especially looking at a boat in the 35 ish range, given just the 2 of you. No question the boat you earmarked on Yachtworld is attractive with all sails up and full, but maintenance and refit would break the bank and postpone you for years. I have been slowly refitting a 1978 sloop that past survey with no major issues, but have since replaced; engine raw water pump and fuel line, raw water strainer, standing and running rigging, fresh water line throughout along with pump, canister filter, 3 faucets, vhf, gps, mainsail, fuel line, batteries, seacocks, hot water heater, wind-speed-depth instruments and all interior cushions. Still need to replace life lines, rebuild manual head, and install AIS in prep for run to Bermuda and back...would love to refinish the teak toerail, but ...this has taken about 1.5 yrs and countless hours of both my labor and my freelance work to fund. And she is a plastic boat with exterior teak only on the toerail...enjoy the hunt and good luck with your sailing adventure.
dave
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 07:56   #21

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi FEC--
I just sent you a private message.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 08:12   #22
FEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLady View Post
Hi FEC--
I just sent you a private message.
Good morning CLady, I did not receive it.
Old 17-05-2018, 08:56   #23

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi FEC--
I just resent it--evidently I didn't do the right button.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 09:11   #24

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I’ll throw in my $.02! First I’d expand the search zone to include San Francisco and all harbors south. If you find one there, bringing her down along the Calif coast is really nice and a nice way to get to know her and do the shakedown. I too would echo going a little smaller and less wood on deck to varnish! There are some great boats in the 35 to 38 range that are very capable, easier to handle, easier to buy and require less cash flow to maintain. I used to sail a Downeaster 38 years ago that was stout, seaworthy and surprisingly fast, and pretty roomy too. That is one of about a hundred possibilities depending on your tastes. I’d say to fall in love with what the boat can do well, for your intended purpose, rather than how she looks initially. Good luck and send photos!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 09:19   #25

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Huh. For the heck of it I went looking and it seems there is a DE38 in San Diego for sale, rebuilt diesel for 32k. Looks ok in photos, needs some cosmetic work in interior, but that’s one I’d consider taking a look at.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 18:40   #26

Looked at this rassy in va a few weeks back.... If i were looking for something ready to go i would have snapped it up...1979 Hallberg-Rassy 41 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
theluckyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote