Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2015, 09:29   #106

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer
Re: Went to the Boatshow Today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post
When we looked at the boat yesterday, my SO said the rep sitting inside the boat had "Hake" on his name tag. Not sure if it was Nick or not but I'm pretty sure Nick Hake is the designer and owner.
That's too bad, maybe it was bad timing on our part. There was a woman there that just took our info for contact. She didn't know much, maybe she was a broker.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:35   #107

Boat: Sea Ray 330 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
... I bet he did not tell you that a Delphia circumnavigated recently by the horn and with one single stop and another one is circumnavigating right now non stop. That would help to sell boats no? and is a more relevant information regarding the boat being used on charter service or no. Being used on charter only means the boat is tough and offers a very good relation quality/price.
I was just curious about whether they are in charter anywhere because I would have liked to live on one for a week or two . Very nice boat, but that's at the show. But the way he blew off the question like it was insult to even suggest it had me a bit miffed. Maybe he misunderstood me.
Enrique100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:36   #108

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Same thing in North america regarding european boats. Lots of bad comments about the quality bavaria, elan, etap, etc. most seem to think that european boats are of low quality.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:44   #109

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
Delphia guy I asked if there were any in charter anywhere around the world and he said emphatically no. A quick google search proved that false. Maybe I'm just picky but if you're going to represent a product at least know something about it? Besides how things open and close?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
just proves he didnt even bother to look at his own marketing material...the 40.3 has a layout that's designed for the charter market! it has 4 staterooms in a 40ft boat!

They even have a charter page on the website!
http://en.delphiayachts.eu/charter

Delphia however at least takes the time (from what i was told by an owner) to tab the bulkheads to the deck! how many mass production builders do that anymore??
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:55   #110

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
So is Bavaria using glassed in bulkheads to the actual hull? Floor grid looks good, is it glued or glassed in place?
On Bavaria they talk about glassed and also about bonded bulkheads. On that kind of structure I believe a good bonding agent would be more effective since the surface (below) would be much bigger. Typically those structures are structurally bonded.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 09:59   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
On Bavaria they talk about glassed and also about bonded bulkheads. On that kind of structure I believe a good bonding agent would be more effective since the surface (below) would be much bigger. Typically those structures are structurally bonded.
Has Bavaria taken it up a notch recently??
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2015, 10:05   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique100 View Post
I was just curious about whether they are in charter anywhere because I would have liked to live on one for a week or two . Very nice boat, but that's at the show. But the way he blew off the question like it was insult to even suggest it had me a bit miffed. Maybe he misunderstood me.
Well, as I have misunderstood you. Many talk about boats that are used in charter as if they were designed specifically for charter and as if being used on charter would make them kind of inferior boats. Probably what that dealer thought you were inferring.

I have looked at some 40ft slightly used Delphias for a friend. You can find them in Europe, particularly in Italy at a great prices, with just a few years.

Regarding Charter that dealer was really out of this world since Delphia, or Delphia dealers worldwide run directly Delphias on the charter Business. You have just to look at the Delphia site to see that they run directly a charter business.
Delphia Yachts - Home page
Old 18-01-2015, 10:12   #113

Quote:
Has Bavaria taken it up a notch recently??
Well, not really unless you consider the Vision series that has a bit better interior quality (don't know if structurally too). After the problem on the keels on the Match 42 they have concentrated in making stronger boats, but that it was long ago. In fact contrary to some French brands that used light as a promotional strategy (light equals well built and faster) they started to make heavier boats and say as promotional strategy: we are heavier, we are stronger
Old 18-01-2015, 17:13   #114
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Went to the Boatshow Today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Same thing in North america regarding european boats. Lots of bad comments about the quality bavaria, elan, etap, etc. most seem to think that european boats are of low quality.

Exactly, that was my point. Most of this boat comparison is either nonsense , fuelled by a mis understanding of modern boatbuilding techniques , national bias , or boat owners patting them selves on the back

The funny thing is, while European production sailing boats have a big slice of the US market, the reverse is not true , with the exception of the small sports power boat market. Hmmm

Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-01-2015, 17:35   #115

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: went to the boatshow today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
What about really silly positive posts???

The more, the better!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:06   #116

The new boats are terrific when it comes to room and especially the cockpits for entertaining but personally other than just a couple I have seen very few that I consider pretty/handsome or whatever word you choose to describe something of beauty. It just seems to me that the designers and builders are adding every square inch they can to gain a little more space in the boats with that as their sole goal. Anybody else feel the same or am I living so much in the past that I am no longer with it when I think of beautiful boats. No comment necessary from you Polux, LOL
Old 19-01-2015, 15:22   #117

Click image for larger version

Name:	bavaria36cr.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	95731
Bavaria new modern cruiser

Click image for larger version

Name:	cam40n.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	95732
Old Cambria cruising design

Which design looks better to your eye?
Old 19-01-2015, 15:34   #118

Boat: CS36T

Quote:
Attachment 95731

Attachment 95732

The bottom one is gorgeous
Old 19-01-2015, 15:39   #119

I just remembered another boat that I saw at the Toronto boat show that I thought was on the decent looking side.
I thought the Polish built Tes 28 was a very nice boat. Nicely built interior, real would, fantastic layout (including handhold's etc.). It even had a v-birth and aft cabin layout. In a 28!
I was a little disappointed when the salesman told me the 28 was their largest model.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 15:48   #120

Quote:
Attachment 95731

Attachment 95732

Wow! Good comparison. The Bavaria looks very odd in comparison. Camera angle certainly played a role. But the Bavaria shouldn't look that... strange... from any angle.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote