Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2012, 10:24   #1

welshandy

Hi everyone
I'm new and looking to get started in sailing, would love to hire from you all and helpful tips how to get started and best courses to go on.

Best regards
Welshandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 11:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: welshandy

Can I make a wild guess that your name is Andy, and you are from Wales (or in Wales)??, or I might be completely wrong.
Anyway, welcome, but if you let on your whereabouts, then it would be useful, as courses and suggestions will differ from country to country. If you are from Wales, I can fully understand your reluctance to reveal your location.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 12:34   #3

So,so,Sorry!my head wasn't thinking.
I'm from Wales but know living down the south of England,Portsmouth.
Living by the sea instead of the green,green,grass of home.
Love the water want to make the best of what's around me specaily the sea

Best regards
Old 27-04-2012, 14:16   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No shortage of sailing schools down there then. Can go the RYA route, or sign up at a local yacht club and try and getting a dreing placement, or both
Bit of a catch 22 that, as most will prefer you to have a bit of experience before taking you on as crew.
There a few CF members on the south coast, they'll be in a better position to advise I think.
Nothing wrong with Wales, used to have a boat in Porthmadog
Old 27-04-2012, 14:40   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Andy hi and welcome to CF. I would start by joining one of the many local sailing clubs, particularly if they are involved in round the cans Sunday racing. There is a well supported spring and winter series for the brave

What you will learn will be invaluable for the rest of your sailing career. All you need is to be enthusiastic and above all reliable even when its raining and cold.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 00:35   #6

I'll like to thank you both for your input.
I will defiantly look into your advice you've given me.
I have seen some courses on the web for new starters in sailing which will help me to aqiure some experience.
All belong to the RYA,as you know does cost a few pounds which I don't mind just want to make shore I choose the wright one.
I do like the idea of a sailing club too lol! A lot to choose from which is good.
How long have both been sailing?

Best regards
Andy
Old 28-04-2012, 01:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Me, I work at sea, now 35 years at it, messing about on sail boats from before that, bought my first boat about 12 yrs ago, and moved up to the present one 2 years ago.
With regard to the RYA courses they are all much of a muchness when it comes to price, but "quality" will vary, you need to start asking around to get some ideas on what are the good schools, and what are not so good.
Sailing clubs are good, willing to crew over winter will gain you points.
Old 28-04-2012, 02:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andy, as a child holidays were spent messing about on the Norfolk Broads. First real sailing with yachts was after I joined the Army. We boarded Khukri a Nicholson 55 which the services had a fleet of. After the practising sailing changing up and down Portsmouth Harbour the skipper said were were off to France tonight. Looking at the huge black cloud building over the top of us I asked him what the weather forecast was. He said it didn't matter we were going anyway

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kukri.jpg
Views:	558
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	40512  
Old 28-04-2012, 03:04   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Andy, if your single and wondering what to do about holidays this year, then do strongly consider completing a RYA comp crew course with one of the sailing schools in the Solent. I say the Solent because it will teach you the local waters and good spots to stop. Also the tides are challenging and the number of other yachts also in the sea often an interesting challenge.

All of the sea schools will be happy to take an individual because it helps fill up a boat. I did this for both Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper. Oh and if you can take a last minute bargain then there are deals to be done on the price, you just need to be brave enough to insist.

Discover Sailing. Sailing Courses and Corporate Events with Ondeck Sailing

RYA Training | Stormforce Coaching

And yes do join the RYA, especially for the fist few years as you will get more out than you pay in.
Old 29-04-2012, 03:25   #10

Nigel and Pete
I can't thank you enough from your input.
I hope sooner than later ill get my first outing and see how everyone works together whylls sailing which I live the sound of and being one the the ocean.
I'm 40 and been living here in Pompey for almost 6yrs and I don't understand why I haven't done it sooner,guess had other thing on my mind in life.
I say this as I've been in the building side of ships since moving to Portsmouth,
I'm in the proses of help building the new aircraft carriers which is a massive project as you know for the navy.

Andy