Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-07-2008, 00:42   #1

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
well i think i am going to do it

just a follow up on my boat shopping trip. i looked at several boats they had and kind of fell in love with the 28 hunter early to mid 80 i dont remember . the hull is in great shape except below ( read below ) , the interior is in great shape. it has new cushion covers in sunbrella as well as the bimini. its wheel steering which i like

but.... why is there always a but

there is hull damage on the port side about even with the mast, right above the water line. so a fiberglass repair will be in my future. i have worked with glass before so its not big deal. i think it will entail me cutting out about a 12 inch hole, maybe a little more ( listen to the gasps ). its from rubbing and smacking on the pier during a storm. it also broke off a plastic thru hull right next to the damage, but i will be working there already so also no big deal. as well as replacing several other plastic thru hulls

next one of the standing rig wires snapped, again only a 100 dollar repair no big deal.

next... yes there is more
the toe kick on the transom got ripped off by the pier as well, and it opened the deck to hull joint a little. so i need a piece of either angle or a new AL toe kick to replace it. i have an idea how to make it better than new, that i will post in the maint. section. also i need to repair the jelcoat on the transom from rubbing.

only 2 more hold on, keep reading
the bolt on cap and the railing thing at the bow are damaged but i can fix them, i know how to weld .

last and probably the least is it needs a alt for the motor ( deisel ) and some painting from rubbing

why am i willing to do this work. because the boat is only costing me 2 grand. so i figure i will be in it for only 3 grand max. other boats i have seen on line in similar condition except damage are in the 10 to 15 k range. also the boat is at a marina where i can live on the boat on the hard and work on it, so i figure i will go live on it for a week and get 95 % of the work done

Old 16-07-2008, 01:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Scotty - Get the mast surveyed for cracks - very carefully. If a shroud went and she battered in a storm you never know.

With all the hull damage it's a wonder the boat didn't get holes and sink. How did a thru hull break and not let water in?

You are describing a 28 foot Hunter for $2,000 that needs about $4,000 in repairs - there must be another reason for the huge discount...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 01:05   #3

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Hello, I am happy you found something you like, it soulds like you know something about boats.

May i ask how many boats did you look at? test sail?

John
Old 16-07-2008, 01:22   #4

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Scotty - Get the mast surveyed for cracks - very carefully. If a shroud went and she battered in a storm you never know.

With all the hull damage it's a wonder the boat didn't get holes and sink. How did a thru hull break and not let water in?

You are describing a 28 foot Hunter for $2,000 that needs about $4,000 in repairs - there must be another reason for the huge discount...
well the hole did not go all the way thru it just beat the crap out of the fiberglass. she did take on about 6 inches of water basic seeping thru over a week, but she has been dry for 2 weeks now. basicly the thru hull is about 1 inch out of the water and it just shattered the mushroon head. its still in the boat but loose, maybe a good job sealing the back side held it in place

the guy who showed me the boat works for a charity that teaches city kids how to sail, and the boat was a donation, so its 2 grand to the charity for nothing. they have too many boats going thru their hands ( about 150 a year ) to worry about fixing it. he is a sailor himself, that why he got the job, so he can be on and around the water more.

he thinks the stay may have been hit by the sling operator, he did not see it before when he checked the boat out before it got landed. but i will check the mast out when i go up it. thanks for the hint

the front rail got bent by another boat that came loose, no insurance filed because there where 4 or 5 other boats loose so nobody can be certain whose boat did it.

i will go back and spend more time going over it before i buy it for sure
Old 16-07-2008, 01:52   #5

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
I do not know if you ever heard of it before but you can do a Dypen test on the mast, comes in a spray can. you spray in on and everything will turn pink cracks will show red.

John

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: