Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2010, 13:20   #1

Well, I Did it !

Hello all I am a new member here but have been lurking on this site and others for about 6 months. I have lived on the coast of south carolina my entire life and always been on the water but always in power boats. Well as my 40th birthday fast approaches something about sailing as really peaked my intrest. I kept saying if the right boat comes along maybe well low and behold I found a 1969 25' coronado owned by the same owner for the last 11 seasons. after initial inspection it appears the boat has been well cared for and maintained. it has an encapsalted lead keel with a 4' draft. Please respond with feelings if this will be a good first boat to begin what I hope becomes the next adventure in my life
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	16976   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat 2.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	16977  

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat3.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	16978  
KEVSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 13:54   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It would work for me as a first sailboat if the price is right, and if the sailboat is in reasonable condition. You could get lots of nice coastal cruising and even cruise the Bahamas with a sailboat like that. As long as the boat is structurally sound, has a fair price, and doesn't need a lot of money poured into it,it may be a good deal.

Whenever I look at a used sailboat, I take a notebook and survey the yacht to see what changes need to be made to make the boat work for it's intended design and purpose. I add the cost of all the fixes and upgrades to the asking price to see what the boat will really cost me. I am brutally honest in figuring the true cost of ownership. Then I make up my mind.

It usually comes down to price, because you can fix most problems either yourself, or with a little help from your friends.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 13:56   #3

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVSTER View Post
I kept saying if the right boat comes along maybe well low and behold I found a 1969 25' coronado owned by the same owner for the last 11 seasons... hope becomes the next adventure in my life
Congrats and welcome… Although it is hard to judge from pics, she looks like she could be a nicely maintained little gem, and from your understandable enthusiasm it sounds like she’ll not be tied to the dock much for awhile..
Old 12-06-2010, 13:56   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I sailed a Coronado 27 all over the West Coast for several years. Spent a lot of time in the Channel Islands. It was a fun boat with lots of room for the size. The rigging was a bit undersized but if you are not crossing oceans it won't matter. Welcome, enjoy the boat and have fun. We spent almost two years in Beaufort and love South Carolina.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 14:02   #5

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
She looks perfect to me . Have fun and I hope you are on the water soon, living your dreams.
Erika
Old 12-06-2010, 16:37   #6

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Welcome to the club.

Life as you know it is over.

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 16:42   #7

Boat: Van de Stadt Sloop 30' 'Rhino'
Well done

Looks nice. It appears you've got a headsail furler which you'll learn to appreciate quickly and plenty of light in the cabin helps.

Congrats
Pete
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 17:07   #8

Boat: Tartan 3ooo
Welcome, nice boat Buy her!!!
Old 12-06-2010, 18:03   #9

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Its always nice to get the opinion of a surveyor. For a boat that size it wouldn't cost too much.
She looks good though and that size is perfect for a starter boat. That year was good for Coronados.
regards,
Old 12-06-2010, 18:56   #10

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
I bought a '69 Coronado 25 as my first boat just this past November. It's a great first boat. It's tough, it's simple, it's small enough to handle alone, and it sleeps a few people. It stand up quickly in a blow if it gets pushed over.

It's also slow, and doesn't point as high as modern designs but as a learner, you probably won't care about that too much. For my speed fix, I've been racing on other boats, and just enjoying mine on non-racing days.

You won't go wrong if it's well maintained and you decide to buy it.
Old 13-06-2010, 21:32   #11

Boat: 1969 Coronado 25ft- SALINE
hello everyone! I am kevster's wife as my screenname states. We sailed the boat today for the first time. I loved it!!!! Can't wait till Friday!!! Here are some other pics of the boat. Tomorrow I'm going to the mall to buy those cute boat shoes i saw the other day!!! Kevin said "you can't buy the shoes till we have a boat" .......
kevsters wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 06:53   #12

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Welcome Kevsters Wife Great photos, thanks for posting them (we love pics). Hope you two are out on the water and living the dream. BTW get those shoes, it is Friday somewhere (..in the universe).
Cheers,
Erika
Old 15-06-2010, 07:08   #13

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Guys,
Lovely posting and nice of you to share your excitement and plans with us all. The yacht looks just great and certainly appears to be very well maintained - although I am sure you'll find lots to do to get her just 'right' for you both.
Well done - enjoy - sail safe.
Who knows, maybe one day we'll see you out there cruising!
JOHN
Old 15-06-2010, 07:31   #14

Boat: Whitby 42ft
Send a message via Yahoo to KayKay58
She looks like a fine boat, the interior wood work looks great! I think she's perfect for a "first" boat. We started on a Cal 9.2, and loved sailing her in Lake Texoma for a couple of seasons before we purchased Echo, our Morgan O/I 41 and are living aboard her in Ingleside Tx. I know you will have a great time learning to sail her, and treat yourself, buy 2 pairs of deck shoes!! Welcom aboard!!
KayKay58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 07:55   #15

I think a lot of us are jealous. The "first time" feeling is unique and irreplaceable. That excitement, energy, enthusiasm and joy of feeling like a kid at Christmas with a new sailboat is fantastic! Enjoy, relax and don't take any of the "oops'es" too seriously.
tanksalot is offline   Reply With Quote