Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-08-2011, 19:25   #31

Boat: Seafarer 26
K I get this argument. And yes I checked. Not sure it's a fin or a modified full. By the way I have both. A fin keel for west coast of fl and a full keel allied seawind which exudes more confidence. The fin keel will turn on a dime and is a good sailor. It can get challenging to keep a course in a following sea. At least on mine. The seawind is the kind of boat that is as stable as the dock. Very nice ride.

Old 13-08-2011, 19:30   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Weight Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkdoyle View Post
K I get this argument. And yes I checked. Not sure it's a fin or a modified full. By the way I have both. A fin keel for west coast of fl and a full keel allied seawind which exudes more confidence. The fin keel will turn on a dime and is a good sailor. It can get challenging to keep a course in a following sea. At least on mine. The seawind is the kind of boat that is as stable as the dock. Very nice ride.
Oh, come on DK, I too can assure you that the S&S 34 is a fin keel and a damn good sea boat too. Don't know where you "checked" but it can't be a very good source.

Cheers,

Jim

Old 13-08-2011, 19:35   #33

Boat: none(fornow)

It seems like every design has it's pros and cons, just like everything else. I like either modified full keels or fin keels with a bulb. If I understand the function of the bulb correctly, it is to put more of the weight if the ballast at the bottom of the keel? Anyway, I am in no hurry for a boat so I am going to make this a good long research project. Perhaps I'll get to sail on several boats before I decide on an overall design. Anyone need a deck hand?
Old 29-01-2012, 08:46   #34

Boat: contessa 32

Ok,just to muddy the waters a little more: hull form must be considered when discussing all the above; i.e. finer entry =better speed thru steep chop and less likely chance of getting into irons while tacking in these conditions.

Wide stern =faster down wind

Beamy hull in light boat in significant seaway= more puking

Heavier boat with wine glass section= less puking and more women,less crew.

Lighter boat = less expensive to build( the real reason why today's builders are favoring these craft).

I could go on here ,but if you read all the posts above (most of which are accurate) and then plug in some of the generalities I have posted you will see why sailing craft design is such an interesting subject and why it provokes so much controversy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: