Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2014, 18:37   #16

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: We want this boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashenkova View Post
...We found another beauty later on the forum (with a fiberglass hull) and have our hopes high she will work out. She's a boat we've wanted for years.

In fact....

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-136272.html
Now you're talking.

This one is a well known vessel from an established builder with a good reputation. It appears to have been well loved by her owners. And the price has been reduced and reduced to a very fair asking.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 22:35   #17

Boat: Spray Replica

Pashenkova,

Looking at the construction photos I would have to say three things about your first choice.

1st: the boat is cold moulded construction. A process professionals use to build quality boats. It is not a timber boat as some have suggested.

2nd: It looks like who ever built it definitely knew what they were doing. ie. Professionally built. and

3rd: It doesn't appear to be a true replica Spray hull nor a Roberts Spray hull. The hull and keel are too narrow and deep to be a replica and hull has too much shape for a Roberts although the bowsprit is similar. (nice shape I must add.) So I can only assume it is someone Else's interpretation of the Spray design of which there are many.

The Spray design suffers from a very bad reputation because of Bruce Roberts. There are a lot of very badly built steel Roberts Sprays around that don't sail particularly well. However a well built Spray is a delight to own. I know. I own one and wouldn't trade her. She has carried us thousands of comfortable miles over the past 10 years

She is comfortable, roomy and and a pleasure to sail. She is also admired by a lot of other boat owners who see her. Classic lines as well as comfort and stability.

Ours isn't a Roberts, the hull was lofted from Ken Slacks plans of the original Spray. The size was increase and constructed on a male mould similar to the process the one you are looking at would have been built. Although ours is foam sandwich construction not strip planked.

The interior room that a Spray has is the equivalent to a boat that is much larger primarily because of the beam and the 7'+ head room. An equivalent saloon would need a boat of at least 60'.

We actually made the step up from a 40' Catamaran because of the extra space, load carrying ability and stability at sea in adverse conditions.

The size of the advertised boat may be a little deceptive. LOA should be the hull length. I would suggest that the 47' is the length including overhangs. ie the bowsprit.

I just noticed the timber masts. They could be a deal breaker if their condition is suspect.

At $85,000 asking it could be a lot of boat for the money.

Garry
Spirit of Sobraon
www.sobraon.com
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:32   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

TO: Garry (SOBRAON)

That is a nice looking boat!

I always appreciate it when people post photos and plans of boats, as you have.

I think it is helpful to see the boats discussed as plan view (side view or top view of layout) and with the rig and in the water. Interior shots help too.

Your photos are just what I like to see.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:39   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Since the Spray design(s) are part of this discussion, here are a couple of photos of the ORIGINAL Spray (Joshua Slocum's boat).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spray Joshua Slocum Original 1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	92150   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spray Joshua Slocum Original 3.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	92151  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:57   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Cold molded wood construction (like this) has been used in many well regarded semi production boats for years. The early Chris White designed fast catamarans were all built this way. And the construction is not all that different from balsa core that is probably in some of the posters boats.
There is wood construction and then there is composite construction and that is what this one is.
Old 22-11-2014, 08:23   #21

Boat: Scout 30

It's my understanding that there are no actual plans for the original Spray. There have been a lot of designs called Spray but they are all just based on old pictures.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 08:52   #22

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pashenkova View Post
1982 Custom Build Spray 47 Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What are your thoughts? What should we look for? Ask about?
I don't really agree the work looks rough. Apparently cold molded the last pic made it look rough, poor lighting.

My only caution would be the "custom". For insurance and resale purposes insure the builder has an established reputation, documentable.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 09:21   #23

Production wooden boats went away along time ago. For at least the last 60 years all wooden boats are custom builds. That's one of the great things about them.

In terms of maintenance, well maintained carvel or plank on frame wooden
boats cost about the same to maintain as well maintained fiberglass boats. However, they are more sensitive to a lack of attention where as cold molded boats are much more tolerant.

In terms of resale it depends on where you are. There are a lot of wooden boats in Maine & Washington. Not so much in Florida.

As always a good survey is crucial.
Old 22-11-2014, 09:40   #24

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
...In terms of maintenance, well maintained carvel or plank on frame wooden
boats cost about the same to maintain as well maintained fiberglass boats...
Bull!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 10:07   #25

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I'd have to agree with whoever said the lines did not look like Slocum's Spray. Much finer and probably better.

Wood is a maintenance bitch carvel or clinker built, I have no experience with cold molded. Glass just watch for older blister boats.

Anything with wood fresh water on deck or live aboard condensation in a cold climate is your enemy.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 11:35   #26

I love wooden boats as long as they are owned by someone else. There is enough maintenance to worry about without having to maintain wooden hull, decks and all those nooks and crannys that you can't see or get to. Bang for buck stick to a known brand production plastic boat for peace of mind. Spend your precious time enjoying the journey
Pauline SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 11:42   #27

Live the life you love..and love the life you live..buy the boat and go live the dream...
michaelschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 11:48   #28

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Looks a bit like a Vagabond 47,probably a better choice.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 12:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
It's my understanding that there are no actual plans for the original Spray. There have been a lot of designs called Spray but they are all just based on old pictures.
The Appendix in my copy of "Sailing Alone Around The World" has line drawings taken off the original, according to Slocum, by the Park City Yacht Club in Bridgeport, CT. I have no idea how closely modern designers adhere to these.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 12:57   #30

I stand corrected. I pulled out my old copy that I haven't looked at in a very long time & there are lines in the appendix. I clearly need to read it again!

I've been hauled when a couple of times when there were "Sprays" in the yard & to my eye they weren't very similar to each other or the original but I suppose these lines were the inspiration.