Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 08:03   #1

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 MkII
We pulled the trigger! Yes!!!

After 28 years of planning, 4 previous boats, learning vast details about literally hundreds of boats to understand what will work for us, and overcoming some serious health issues, we just purchased the boat that will complete those plans! I just flew back from Long Beach, CA after 5 days of boat search. What is strange to me is, when I walked up and touched the bowsprit of this one with my chest, it welcomed me like a horse rubbing up on you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Belle Haven Profile.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	190416

Belle Haven is an Irwin 46, slightly older, but in VERY good condition. While she needs some TLC, 90% is cosmetic. The other 10% is to change things so it suits our lifestyle. I'll be posting lots of threads through this process. But first, I head back on the 30th for surveys and sea trial ....which I'm sure will go exactly as I expect.

Her decks are HUGE, .....but are crazed and in serious need of painting. We are looking at a color scheme of navy blue, sand and gel coat white. (There's a thread.)

Name:	Belle Haven Foredeck Aft.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	190417

Name:	Belle Haven Mizzen STB.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	190419

I'll be adding solar, a Purasan, watermaker, dive compressor, and eventually, a larger arch on the stern.

Name:	Belle Haven Helm1.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	190422

I plan to move the chartplotter that is currently beside the companionway onto the binnacle, then replace the Raymarine autopilot with a CPT.

Name:	Belle Haven <a title=Helm Cockpit.jpg Views: 348 Size: 44.5 KB ID: 190418" style="margin: 2px" />

Her interior is in very nice condition,

Name:	Belle Haven Salon1.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	190423

...with just 2 windows with some water intrusions.

It has 3 SR's. The v-berth is a very good size with its own head and separate shower.

Name:	Belle Haven V-Berth2.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	190421

Then there is a double pilot berth to port.

Name:	Belle Haven Port Berths2.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	190424

The galley is intimate, but well laid out, with an excellent Force 10, huge fridge, and tons of storage!

Name:	Belle Haven Galley3.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	190427

The master, again, a very nice size. I will, however, be changing the berth to centerline, which is easy for someone who builds exotic hardwood furniture. (Wifey has no desire to crawl over me when her nightly comes calling.)

Name:	Belle Haven MSR@.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	190420

We are currently gathering needed parts and pieces to take back down, then sail - or should I say motor - her up the Wet Coast to get her home. I'm thankful she has 170g of fuel aboard, and hope to get some assistance from the wind.

CptCrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:08   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: We pulled the trigger! Yes!!!

congrats

hope you go do some sailing and cruising before going into this massive refit/change the boat mode
Old 20-04-2019, 08:11   #3

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Congrats on the purchase! Focus on the things that are considered primary - leaks and any rot due to leaks before changing things for lifestyle improvements. Most of all, go have fun!
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:12   #4
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

beautiful boat! god i love those captains chairs. I wish i could fit them in mine.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:19   #5

Congratulations on your new adventure!
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:36   #6

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 20-04-2019, 08:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptCrunchie View Post
After 28 years of planning, 4 previous boats, >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We are currently gathering needed parts and pieces to take back down, then sail - or should I say motor - her up the Wet Coast to get her home. I'm thankful she has 170g of fuel aboard, and hope to get some assistance from the wind.

Congratulations. With your experience, don't know if you've done the "go north" trip. Here's mine:

I've posted our log (with charts & photos) here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

Photos are under the October tab
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 08:49   #8

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Beautiful! If you post a blog or videos of your progress please provide a link.
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:18   #9

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Have a ball on your beautiful new boat!

As someone else said, and I can confirm from personal experience don't let project creep keep you at the dock. Get the boat dry and safe and then take off and have adventures. I hope to see you out there.
Old 20-04-2019, 09:23   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Congrats Crunchie, I’m glad that Irwin has found a good new owner.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:26   #11

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Congratulations!! Very exciting!!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 09:36   #12

Congratulations. The two happiest days are the day you buy and the day you sell;-)
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Congratulations. With your experience, don't know if you've done the "go north" trip. Here's mine:

I've posted our log (with charts & photos) here:

Travels with Aquavite: San Francsico Bay to British Columbia 2016

Photos are under the October tab
Good read. Thank you.

I have gone south from Vancouver to San Diego, 200 miles out, but not north. Personally, for you and your boat, I believe you did that passage very well and smart. I'm also impressed that you found so many places to refuel your 23g tank.

But with our 37' LWL, radar and 170G of fuel, we plan to slog 24/7 a little farther out. Depending on the sea and wind state, in having a 1000nm range on a 1200nm trek, we will likely pull into Crescent City to top up, then head back out, ...weather permitting.

I am also aware of the southerly current that starts around 40 miles out, and believe the wind will pretty much stay on the nose. This is going to make for an interesting trip, as I believe the 62hp engine pushing 33,000lbs through the water may be a tad underpowered for this trip, .....but there is really only one way to find out. As long as we make headway, an extra day or two is all part of the adventure.

Some told me that there is a slight northwesterly current that runs closer in. I found the north section of it on my trip south, as it took over a day and a half on an Endurance 37 to get out of it before we could head south. I hope it runs farther south than just the northern WA coastline.
Old 20-04-2019, 10:17   #14

Congratulations!!! I closed on the purchase of a Pearson 424 ketch a couple days ago. Although it has dinghy davits, I intend to install a Monitor windvane with their autopilot. Total cost, not including installation, about $6,000. They offer a stubby vane for such situations. However, imho for passages it's best to put the dinghy upside down on the foredeck.
hanamaui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 10:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
Beautiful! If you post a blog or videos of your progress please provide a link.
I most surely will. Much to do too, and I have all summer to do it, and still have time to take her out for some overnighting. One will be shortly after we get here here, as it will be halibut season. Our plan is to anchor her on the grounds the night before, and put out our scent bags. Then, in the morning, drop our lines over and have fresh halibut for dinner ...on anchor! With 400' of HT chain on a 65lb Delta, it's a boat made for our lifestyle!

Redhead, this will be our 5th and biggest, so I'm well aware of the need for playtime amid the maintenance.

Tayana42, having owned a few boats, Wifey and I firmly believe that boats choose their next owner, not the other way around.

Thanks, bensolomon.

OceanSailor, true. My next project as I work on this one is to sell our Trophy 2459 Offshore. While it was built for the 1989 Seattle Boat Show (they did lots of extras, like lining the inside of all the storage spaces in the cabin), it is still a 1989 boat, so it could take a little time.

Name:	BonDC Bayliner Trophy 2459 <a title=Offshore.jpg Views: 137 Size: 334.3 KB ID: 190468" style="margin: 2px" />

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanamaui View Post
Congratulations!!! I closed on the purchase of a Pearson 424 ketch a couple days ago. Although it has dinghy davits, I intend to install a Monitor windvane with their autopilot. Total cost, not including installation, about $6,000. They offer a stubby vane for such situations. However, imho for passages it's best to put the dinghy upside down on the foredeck.
I'm with you on the tender issue. No desire to have it swinging in the wind, getting filled with rain, nor adding drag. But this tender didn't come with the boat, so for the trip north, we will only have an offshore life raft.

Name:	Belle Haven Davits1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	190469

Interestingly, I have sailed with 2 boats with wind vangs, and personally, I don't care much for them. I know many sailors like them, and they save a lot of power, I've just never had one work the way I see them in videos. And since Wifey has very little experience at the helm, simple is our goal, at least, until she - and I - get a lot more experience on this boat.

Three things I really like about the CPT Autopilot is that it is simple to use, a great and reasonably priced unit for this size boat, and it tracks very well in all weather states.

And clear skies, warm winds and calm seas to you too.