Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-05-2015, 17:24   #46

Re: We are In Love!

Definitely get an engine survey, as very expensive to replace an engine. Rig less so, and some of it will be picked up in a general survey. Be sure to be there with the surveyer to learn from him/her. Much better than just the written report. Get a fully independent surveyer, not one recommended by any one getting money from the closing. Boat financing people have the best recommendations.

Old 07-05-2015, 17:35   #47

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

My personal opinion is that a survey often is not worth the money, it depends on the surveyor, many are like car salesmen, they will not do a good job, they only do enough to make you think they did a good job, their main objective is separate you from your money. I wish I could tell you how to avoid a bad one, try getting references, or suggestions, but often they aren't reliable either. It's a buyer beware world. Many people that are attracted to businesses like this (really nothing to show for their work) are unscrupulous.

Old 07-05-2015, 19:31   #48

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Have you thought about charter, or crewed charter to start? Try out a few boats before you buy. I have a Nonsuch 30 that is a lot like what you want, but it is worth 40K. and would be cramped with 4 on board, it says it is for up to 5? Converting the dinette into a bed every night gets old in a hurry. 20K is a real limit when most boats have 10K of sails and rigging, and 10K of instruments! Try charter and keep saving money, get up to 40K to start
Old 07-05-2015, 21:32   #49

Boat: Saturn SD330 11'

Thank you all for the replies! You all are a serious treasure trove of advice and thoughts. Thank you all for your time.

Skipmac
-baby is still really close to Mom for the next while, and might put me on the couch in a smaller V berth...with the dog

Brantleychuck
- nice jenneau link....makes me excited to get down south

anacapaisland 42
- I'll have to look into the challenger... thanks bill

Crazer
- thx for the tips on new. I am a sucker for old boats, trucks, and everything I guess...I need to be careful though on the 'falling in love' part

Hudson Force
- love your boat and your signature. The rare boats make me nervous on trying to find parts and availability, but it sounds like condition will be king for me....thx for the emotional attachment advice too...can't get enough of that...

Jack Robinson
- you are the kind of folk I hope i run into when walking the docks....thanks for the offer

Mutt
-thanks for the broker tips...i used to be one for RE

Gonesail
- great point on being comfortable is stuck. I hope we will be moving about the coast (or at least canals), and being stuck on 30' sounds tough (especially for the family)

Old 07-05-2015, 21:51   #50

Always FORSAIL
- Hunter 34 is on the list, thx. Can't wait to get a copy of the Florida Mariner....will look into the online version too...

Hamburgking
- always have loved the look and have heard about the pearsons racing and cruising...never heard about the Niagras...thank you!

Scout 30
-gorgeous ketch!!! I'm in lov...sounds reasonable

Wonderluster
-thanks for the tips on the catalina and the C&C... who pays the commission on these deals anyways? Hope biz is good.

Tortuga's Lie
- That would be something to pull a Lagoon 38 out of the auction with a tiny hole in the hull....I would love to go check out the boat graveyards and auction lots too.

Seriously great advice, thanks again to everyone...love having new boats to find and research.

I owe you all refreshments already.....
Old 07-05-2015, 22:08   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivels View Post
Hudson Force
- love your boat and your signature. The rare boats make me nervous on trying to find parts and availability, but it sounds like condition will be king for me.

Hi Nivels,

I wouldn't worry too much about "rare boats" and parts. 99% of any parts you might need are not specific to a boat but made by companies that specialize in that item.

Think of a house. The air conditioner, stove, refrigerator, microwave, electrical boxes and switches, plumbing even the windows and more are all made by outside companies, not the home builder.

Likewise on a boat, the engine, pumps, plumbing, refrigerator, stove, sails, rigging, electrical parts, even the hatches and ports are almost always made by an outside company or very generic and available from many sources.

Of course a 30 year old engine, even by a well known maker might be difficult to find parts depending on the model. Some will be classics and you could find parts even in third world countries where that same engine might be used in tractors and such.

So in an older boat, even if the engine is in good condition you should check the model and parts availability if you plan to own the boat for a while.
Old 07-05-2015, 22:17   #52

Thanks skipmac, I have heard a lot of horror stories upon opening up some older diesels.....between the parts hard to find and salt water corrosion, seems like the motor evaluation and testing will be a top priority for me.

My wife's family has some really good diesel mechanics, however they use their diesels on land (in the SE outdoors though)...I will see if they can help me check over any prospects.

Great advice of the sails and rigging parts being made (or replaced) by a myriad of companies....

(I was already envisioning replacing a mast, that I break, on an old grampian or something...)

Matthew
Old 07-05-2015, 22:36   #53

Jheldatksuedu
- thanks for the warning on the surveyors....I really want to get a survey done, and will do my best to find someone with the time and energy to spend on me...gotta watch out for careless folks like that....

Sdwcheney
- 40 k might put me close to fixer upper catamaran land....very tempting, but I am too new to the sailing world to make my first boat double my budget. Besides, I would have to do a lot more work and don't want the dream to slip away....I wish I had the cash to charter! I do need the experience, and have always given my vehicles a test drive, so i guess I will be the beer toting, thumb sticking out, with rags in my hand to do some crewing, and take some tours.

My undereducated guess is the motor is 10k to replace, the sails are 10k, and the rigging is closer to 5 k for the 30 footers. (10k for 40'?) I won't be sold on the killer electronics....most computers I use are quickly outdated and made obsolete. We are going to try and keep things as simple as we can, but realize the electronics are very important too.

It is a tight budget...patience with boat shopping and still being ready to pull the trigger is going to be a tough balance....
Old 08-05-2015, 04:37   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivels View Post
My undereducated guess is the motor is 10k to replace, the sails are 10k, and the rigging is closer to 5 k for the 30 footers. (10k for 40'?) I won't be sold on the killer electronics....most computers I use are quickly outdated and made obsolete. We are going to try and keep things as simple as we can, but realize the electronics are very important too.

It is a tight budget...patience with boat shopping and still being ready to pull the trigger is going to be a tough balance....
Your guesses may be a little high. I have been rebuilding a 42' boat, cutter rig. All new standing rigging was under $4000. This was everything: new chainplates, toggles, turnbuckles and of course all new wire. New main and 135 genoa were about $3000 each.

New engine for my boat, by itself (no transmission) would be close to $10,000 plus installation.

Electronics are nice but you can get by without spending big money. After all, cruisers got by for many years with plain old paper charts. If budget is tight go with a less expensive GPS, maybe even a hand held unit for a couple hundred.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:32   #55

I'll just leave this here... kind of what you're looking for as the min.

1979 S2 9.2A (30') sailboat and tender
Old 08-05-2015, 09:50   #56

I like to put conservative numbers in my head....thanks again skipmac for some figures...

Nice boat quitessence! She is a beauty!!! Wish I was ready today!

Old 12-05-2015, 08:25   #57

Boat: Nova SD40 "Barco Sin Vela II"

Here is a '34 San Juan that might fit the bill. They have a survey and Price is negotiable.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: