Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-05-2015, 08:58   #31

Boat: Morgan OI 416
Re: We are In Love!

If you are willing to look at larger boats I would concider the Morgan OI 416, 1982 and above.

Boats like houses or apartments get small fast. But it is always give and take, larger boat larger money.

If you are ever in Eastern NC you are welcome to view mine it's not for sale but there are many out there "near" your price range.

Jack

Old 07-05-2015, 09:17   #32

Boat: CS36T

I would check out a few brokers. There are good ones out there. Find someone who spends the time with you to ask about your needs. A good brokers advice is invaluable. They should know the pluses and minuses of most boats. By the way I am not a broker.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:21   #33
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

the folks i have known with children on a boat usually go for the ones with front and rear birth areas .. one for children and one for adults. 20K will not go very far but might get you something you can park at a marina and call home .. which is what many people are doing.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:21   #34

Don't overlook the Hunter 34. Hunters typically give more for the money than others and are spacious. A big plus is that Hunter may have made more 34s than any other boat of any manufacture. You should be able to find a bunch of them. Drive that camper to Florida and look around. Look at the Florida Mariner for listings of all types.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:25   #35

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Consider the NIAGARA 35.

Double quarter berths (BIG), reasonable draft, offshore capable. Because of the age of these boats, they are a bargain. Just find one that has been well cared for.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:45   #36

Boat: Scout 30

1977 TIBURON 36 KETCH
Old 07-05-2015, 10:49   #37

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

The Catalina 30 is a great choice. You may also find a C&C 34. Make and year are important but also you have to compare the equipment and its condition. Don't pay for out dated electronics because the boats has several compared to a boat that has only the basics that are up to date. There is a cruiser out there for you!

BTW I am a broker! In Florida.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:09   #38

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Consider the NIAGARA 35.

Double quarter berths (BIG), reasonable draft, offshore capable. Because of the age of these boats, they are a bargain. Just find one that has been well cared for.
I like the Niagras, but seriously doubt it's in the price range. Another option if you're handy is an insurance boat. BOAT US and others sell damaged boats for pennies on the dollar, sometimes even in half decent shape, sometimes not. I talked to a couple that bought a Sandy boat and they were very pleased.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:13   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post

Wow! That looks like a nice boat.

S/V B'Shert
Old 07-05-2015, 12:14   #40

Boat: Pearson 28.1

I liked this book: Amazon.com: Your First Sailboat: How to Find and Sail the Right Boat for You eBook: Daniel Spurr: Kindle Store

As mentioned before, a good surveyor is critical and plan on having a reserve for repairs or enhancements, ~$5000. And you're right, the money you put in probably won't be recoverable in a later sale.

GOOD LUCK & FAIR WINDS!
Old 07-05-2015, 14:19   #41

I vote for the Catalina 30, too. The most liquid market getting into and out of any boat in your price range, huge base of sailors who are active on the web, parts are easy to get, repairs are the least expensive.
Old 07-05-2015, 14:35   #42

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

..Tried to find a Coronado 30... great headroom and 2 cabins..
Old 07-05-2015, 14:42   #43

Boat: Catalina 30

The Catalina 30 is a great boat. I'm a bit biased though. It's a big 30 footer. V-berth easily takes 2 adults, and the quarterberth is plenty roomy.

It'd be tight for 4 people full-time though. Storage is limited too.
Old 07-05-2015, 16:53   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like the Cat 30, but in a 10k-15k boat.... I guess the best boat for the Bahamas, at a low price etc: "the best condition boat with fairly shallow draft available for the $" would be best. A longer keel that is not bolted on would be a plus. Eliminates one potential problem right there.
I'm just thinking that you can get more boat (condition etc) for the $ in a boat that is less popular ... and stronger.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 17:14   #45

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I like the Cat 30, but in a 10k-15k boat.... I guess the best boat for the Bahamas, at a low price etc: "the best condition boat with fairly shallow draft available for the $" would be best. A longer keel that is not bolted on would be a plus. Eliminates one potential problem right there.
I'm just thinking that you can get more boat (condition etc) for the $ in a boat that is less popular ... and stronger.
If you are looking for a very strong boat, encapsulated keel (no bolts), 5' draft, then consider the Pearson 30. Thats what I sail. Sadly, they sell for $2000-$6000. I bought one in that range with new standing rigging, CP, autohelm, volvo diesel, very clean...been sailing it for 3 years now with no trouble. Hey, careful what you wish for. Pearson made over 1000 of these, so there should be some for sale in your area. Just be sure to get one with a diesel...with a boat like this, you are buying the engine, and getting the boat thrown in with it. And if you don't like it, you can sell it and get all your money back.

Read the online reviews...you'll see, the P30 is for real.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: