Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 11:41   #16

Re: We are In Love!

Your boat is out there. Just have to be persistent but don't be afraid of "older boats". I purchased my 73' C&C 30 last year for well under $20k. The boat surveyed well and was equipped with a nearly new diesel. I spent about $6k to add new standing and running rigging and rewire the boat. I also added new batteries, GPS, radio, bilge and water pumps and some other bits and pieces. She sails like a new boat and I'm still a bit under $20k all total.

Some of the older boats were built extremely well. Mine has a solid hull that is very strong. The deck is cored like most other boats, but mine had only a couple minor soft spots on the deck.
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:10   #17

Boat: Saturn SD330 11'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
You may already be aware of this by a surveyor won't survey the engine beyond seeing if it starts. Nor will the surveyor check rigging or sails. Check it over yourself. After the survey you might want to pay a diesel mechanic to check out the engine unless you are very familiar with diesels. And a rigging survey is not too expensive.

S/V B'Shert
Thanks Tayana! I didn't know you could get a rigging survey.....appreciate the heads up and warning.....so much to learn!
Nivels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:11   #18

Tons of boats in Florida Here's one http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bod/5005062556.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolman View Post
Your boat is out there. Just have to be persistent but don't be afraid of "older boats". I purchased my 73' C&C 30 last year for well under $20k. The boat surveyed well and was equipped with a nearly new diesel. I spent about $6k to add new standing and running rigging and rewire the boat. I also added new batteries, GPS, radio, bilge and water pumps and some other bits and pieces. She sails like a new boat and I'm still a bit under $20k all total.

Some of the older boats were built extremely well. Mine has a solid hull that is very strong. The deck is cored like most other boats, but mine had only a couple minor soft spots on the deck.
Your optimism is awesome!!!! Yes!

I like the thick fiberglass of the old boats....but maybe the newer ones are roomier. We might be headed to NC to browse around....great job on your boat. Did you have to repair the deck?

We are very excited out here!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:13   #20

And another. http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/boa/4998789145.html

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Project boat? Big Boat? Avoid those on a low budget.
But, if you are cramped… This one (a project boat) popped up at $25K in FLA. Key features? Bathtub!

1984 Morgan 462 Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:17   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Project boat? Big Boat? Avoid those on a low budget.
But, if you are cramped… This one (a project boat) popped up at $25K in FLA.

1984 Morgan 462 Center Cockpit Ketch Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I better stop posting and get back to work! What is that 2nd mast for?

Thanks Steady Hand!
Old 06-05-2015, 12:19   #23

re: engine survey, rigging survey:
At some point on a 10k boat you are going to have to make choices. It depends on your mechanical ability and sense I guess. If the engine starts well, runs well and you do good long sea trial, that may be enough. Watch the oil before and after sea trial and the water. Watch the temp gauge, run it long and hard for a while. etc. If the survey includes a compression check, maybe it's worth it. If not... meh... (not sure many do include, takes an adaptor)
Not sure how much a rigging survey costs, but if he has to go aloft maybe $300-400? anyone know?
Here again, that's maybe enough money to buy new wires and anti up for the terminals....

Don't be tempted by a big boat at a great price... that's a recipe for disaster...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:46   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivels View Post
What is that 2nd mast for?

Thanks Steady Hand!
Spare.

You might want to cast your eye over:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-140583.html
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 13:17   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivels View Post
Your optimism is awesome!!!! Yes!

I like the thick fiberglass of the old boats....but maybe the newer ones are roomier. We might be headed to NC to browse around....great job on your boat. Did you have to repair the deck?

We are very excited out here!
Newer boats will most likely be a bit roomier. If you get to NC shoot me a PM. I'll be happy to take you sailing. My boat is docked near Beaufort. I have not bothered with the deck repair yet since the soft spots were not very big. It's something I'll get around to eventually.

I'm also an old Colorado boy. Go Broncos!!!
Jcolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 13:50   #26

You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for the replies, links, and advice.

Jcoleman you are rad. We should be out there mid June, and will definately contact you if we make it to NC.

Go Broncos is right!

Matthew
Old 07-05-2015, 07:27   #27

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Challenger 32 if you can find one.
Had ours for 30 years, lots headroom, all kinds of weather, all kinds of seas, extremely strong
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:47   #28

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

On principle, I'd avoid anything like an Alberg 35 for your purposes. I say that as the owner of a Pearson Wanderer 30 I love dearly. They are a commitment, even one that is in "good sailing condition" can need many thousands of dollars in work to make it comfortable and reliable. I have put over $10K into my boat since I bought her for 6, including $6-7K this year alone. Go for something a little newer. A C&C or a Cal are both good suggestions.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:56   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

If you're looking for an older boat in order to find sometimg with the size and price that you need, shopping by make and model becomes close to useless.

As an example, look at the Morgan OI 33's on the market. They are going to be old and likely structurally compromised by poor care. The tanks, engine and electrical system will likely need replacement; however, once in a while you'll find one that has been kept pristine or totally renovated. Even with much money and work put into an older boat, their market value will stay fairly low.

In addition, some makes are hard to shop for because they are rarely seen. Like that Grampian the Mike O'Reily mentioned. I would suggest that you select a few features that you want and search online in places where you can look at the boats an remain open to accepting manufacturers that you are unfamiliar with.

When you find a potential boat, Don't Fall In Love With It! .... get advice about the specific problems and recommendations that might be specific to the boat manufacturer.

Great old boats at good prices are out there and patience wins!
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57   #30

Boat: Island Packet 350

Excellent suggestion from Tayana42.
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote