Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2019, 10:17   #1

Wauquiez Pretorien 35 vs. Catalina 320

Hey All.. I need an adult.

Looking for some advice from people who understand the plight I am in.

Facts:
1. WHO: Hi! Im B - I have a son who will spend some time during the week with me and a dog. I have a little sailing experience but just passed Keelboat 101 and am continuing through the ASA & Safety courses (as well as getting in as much experience on and with others as possible)

2. WHAT: Live-aboard - blue water cruiser eventually (I've lived aboard a boat before so its not new except for the sailing aspect- a big aspect i know)

3. Where: Living in New England I am sure that finding someone to jump onboard for a sail in the summer won't be an issue.. but mostly I will be single-handing ( EVENTUALLY GUYS.. not right now EVENTUALLY) As far as wintering in New England I have a plan B in case of storms / safety or God forbid there is a tragedy.

4. When: Planning on transitioning to live aboard 2020

5. Why: I have too many to list.. but long story short if it doesn't work - wipe the blackboard and start over

Now for the meat and potatoes!

The Quandry:
Do I buy a small say.. Catalina 320 for a liveaboard and get used to it or do I buy a Wauquiez Pretorien 35 which fits the bill for the long term goals?
(prices are mostly even for what I am looking at year etc..) Now for anyone who has ever bought a sailboat.. or has read "sailing a serious ocean". I am already in love with the Wauquiez Pretorien 35. I am head over heels for her... she hits everything I need and want in a boat but she has miles under her keel. ( 1982 is the one I'm looking at )Her lines have me drooling over the cut of the water, but I want to make sure that I go about this logically.

Thoughts? Experience with either boat?

***** Please understand I am asking feedback for those who will provide advice respectfully*****
BThompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 11:20   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: Wauquiez Pretorien 35 vs. Catalina 320

The 35 does have a great reputation but as with all boats it comes down to maintenance. There is little info to go on but if both are identical in current shape, systems etc the Wauquiez is a better choice IMO. Get surveys on everything. You be surprised at how many issues will come up in a survey on a boat that looks really, really good, more so for a first time buyer. Be prepared to be disappointed and ready to walk away.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 14:57   #3

Thanks RBK, I DEF have every intention on getting a survey so thank you! I am trying to follow some previous sound advice.. I think the question comes more down to do I buy the forever boat? Or do I buy the boat I know I can handle as a newbie sailor? The Pretorian would need some things just like the Catalina would and they are both in the 60-65k range..neither are outfitted for a new england winter. But honestly I'm not even sure I am LOL

P.s I think the general question applies even if I had to walk away from both
Old 16-10-2019, 15:08   #4

While I have never owned one myself, I have a lot of experience with the Catalina 320.

Before you jump onto one for living aboad full time, walk onto one with three bags of groceries. See how much storage you have left after putting a few days of supplies away...

They certainly have a lot of "living" space for a 32 foot boat. But all that space had to come from somewhere. There is very, very, limited storage. I have lived on boats for 20 years, I have very little "stuff", yet the idea of living on a boat without adequate storage is not not in my list of things to do.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 15:11   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

My wife and I cruised for two years on a Pretorien, it may actually be on the market right now (we sold it back in 2014). It is a great cruising and ocean boat. For that boat size and design age there is little i would change. However if you are looking more for a liveaboard maybe the Catalina is a better option?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 15:31   #6

Great feedback billknny thank you very much!! My son and I appreciate it because storage will be on the high priority list

#legos LOL
Old 16-10-2019, 15:34   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
My wife and I cruised for two years on a Pretorien, it may actually be on the market right now (we sold it back in 2014). It is a great cruising and ocean boat. For that boat size and design age there is little i would change. However if you are looking more for a liveaboard maybe the Catalina is a better option?

Chris
Thank you chris! I honestly dont know but thank you for sharing your pratorien experience. The eventual plan is bluewater cruising, did you find any day to day issues with yours as far as practicality..layout etc?
Old 16-10-2019, 16:19   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

The only issues I had with the pretorien was a small engine space that made service harder (Butt not impossible), and cramped head/nav station for my 6'2" frame.

When we moved from the Pretorien to the CN, I was amazed at how much stuff we had in her.

Chris

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 21:10   #9

Wink Re: Wauquiez Pretorien 35 vs. Catalina 320

Hi I have done miles in a 38 and a 44 and bigger . When living aboard you tend to need an awful lot of things . Way more it seems than you need in a house . I guess because you can't just jump in the car and go to the store when you live in a boat even if you are tied to a dock or anchored close to a dock. I found the heavy displacement 38 was just big enough for me for long distance cruising but I only had two bunks available all the time "The Stuff" had filled all the rest of the space . And it still took me 45 minutes to get in the car! Good luck it is a great life ! I used to call my 38 My Space ship Could go anywhere in the world---------- in 45 minutes but not right now!
Mike P
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 04:00   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

Hi B
We own a Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40. 12 years. Love her. Solid as a rock. So if the price is the same for a Catalina and a Wauquiez I would not hesitate in buying the Wauquiez. 32 feet v 35 feet is neither here nor there. Wauquiez are a quality boat.
John
John Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 04:01   #11

I owned '85 Pretorien #181 with great success. We sailed from Annapolis to San Francisco via New Zealand. They are great sailing and a comparative good value for an ocean boat. Headroom gets lower as you move forward. They do have a roomy salon for a 35 thanks to wide beam. Be prepared to replace just about everything. We chose to de-prioritize refrigeration and many systems got simpler because of it. Have fun!
Martin
sea.dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2019, 04:56   #12

Boat: Cal 33-2

I looked at a couple of Cat 320s when I was boat shopping 10 years ago. The poor storage was one of the main reasons I crossed it off my short list.
Old 17-10-2019, 18:32   #13

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

I would happily sail to Australia in a Wauquiez. Not a Catalina 320. These two boats were built for different purposes. Other opinions may differ.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2019, 12:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea.dragon View Post
I owned '85 Pretorien #181 with great success. We sailed from Annapolis to San Francisco via New Zealand. They are great sailing and a comparative good value for an ocean boat. Headroom gets lower as you move forward. They do have a roomy salon for a 35 thanks to wide beam. Be prepared to replace just about everything. We chose to de-prioritize refrigeration and many systems got simpler because of it. Have fun!
Martin
Thanks Sea Dragon! this is the one I am looking at (https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...orien-3010914/) - the engine sounds like it would need to be replaced.. not sure if that's something I am ready for. Anyone have any ideas on that process or a guesstimate price range? I am considering moving forward on this one especially with all the add on equipment ready for a cruising in New England lifestyle. Engine rebuilds/refits or replacements I know are incredibly expensive but.. for the right boat?
Old 18-10-2019, 22:58   #15

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The Waukiez. We have a female moderator here who rebuilt her boats engine, on the low bucks, while living aboard in the Delta of the Sacramento River. Her screen name is sailorchic34. Use the CF Custom Google Search, and read about it. She is an engineer by trade, and felt comfortable to attack it. It is all supremely logical, if unfamiliar. You might need to get help when you plus the breaker bar aren't enough to get something loose, but people will be glad to help you.

Otherwise, simply deduct the cost of re-engining from your offer on the boat. The Beta Marine engines (Kubota tractor engine bases) are good engines, and the company has a decent reputation. If the sails are good, and the overall condition of the boat is good, there's no better way than a rebuild project to get to know your engine. Forget pretty fingernails, though.

Ann

Tags
boat buying, catalina, catalina 320, liveaboard, new boat, Wauquiez pretorien 35