Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 19:36   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Wauquiez/Hood 38 build quality?

I'm looking at a Wauquiez 38 that fits a lot of my criteria for a good cruising boat. I am just wondering how the build quality stacks up to something like a Valiant or a Swan?

I had a CAL 35 MKII that everyone told me was a very well built boat but there was about 800 things on that boat that I could point out as done cheaply and one especially when the rudder post cracked and leaked. I am just wondering if Wauquiez suffer the same word-of-mouth-optimism you get from a lot of boat owners or if they really are overbuilt.

Are they really offshore boats? How is the centerboard trunk? Anyone had any crack? Is it really skeg hung rudder or modified spade?
Old 12-07-2017, 20:38   #2

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse
Re: Wauquiez/Hood 38 build quality?

You see a few of them out cruising.

If you havent touched base with These guys:

Team Giddyup

they would be real good people to talk to .She used to post here a bit.

Take a look, they talk alot about their boat in posts.

LD
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 00:10   #3

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

It is a quality boat. Most had a cockpit which you had to leave to enter the cabin, with a tall, steep ladder. Pretty boat.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 05:45   #4

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
You see a few of them out cruising.

If you havent touched base with These guys:

Team Giddyup

they would be real good people to talk to .She used to post here a bit.

Take a look, they talk alot about their boat in posts.

LD

That's a Pretorien, whole different boat. I like the 38 because there is an actual aft cabin. Not a quarter berth with a door like a the pretorien.
Old 13-07-2017, 09:24   #5

Boat: Boatless

The Henri Wauquiez built boats of the late 70s and until the later 80s where considered the "Swans of France". You'll go anywhere in them that has no ice (glass hull vs. aluminum or steel).

I believe that there were two models of the Wauguiez Hood 38, a Mk I and a Mk II. I believe the later had the entrance to the salon from the cockpit. The Bristol 38 is the same design with a little different coach.

You won't go wrong. I love my Pretorian and have put 15K ocean miles on her, most single handing. I'd have done more but was dumb enough to get a job.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 15:39   #6

Boat: Wauquiez 43 PS

Hi
I have a Wauquiez 43 Pilot Saloon built in 2001. I bought her 3 years ago and she has taken me through some rough seas without any problem. Sure, there has been a lot to fix, repair and maintain, but the hull is rock solid, and this from about three different surveyors I have had on board to look at various issues. If your yacht has a bow thruster, I would recommend a moisture survey of the hull especially forward of the beam, and also of the rudder itself.
An issue I have is that the yacht was built without any thought for future maintenance, and so things like installing a vented loop in the sanitation hose is impossible unless I cut out the wall of the heads, and so on. In addition check the water tank to see if it is aluminium. If so, always fill the tank by going through a charcoal filter first to remove any chlorine. But a quality build, and very robust.

Good luck,
SJFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:05   #7

Boat: GibSea 472

The Wauquiez 38 (named sometimes Hood 38) was designed by Ted Hood and very well built. It is heavy, but has a large sail plan, is fast and makes a confortable and good all around offshore boat. And it is true, Wauquiez built fantastic boats, the old fashion, with care, good cabinetry, and in my opinion well cared boats like the Hood 38 are still fantasitics boats. Naturaly, you have to watch for wet decks, like most boat of that era... In my opinion a rare find!
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:13   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I believe that there were two models of the Wauguiez Hood 38, a Mk I and a Mk II. I believe the later had the entrance to the salon from the cockpit. The Bristol 38 is the same design with a little different coach.
This is correct. I've found the MkIs are less expensive as the companion way is less desireable. Many of the MkIs on yachtworld have pictures that avoid showing the companion way.

I really like the boats and have done some online research.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 16:36   #9

The Wauquiez Hood 38 was built when Henri owned the the yard. After 1988 I am not sure of the quality of the Wauquiez boats as there have been a number of owners since that time. But while Henri owned it and that is when the 38 was built, the quality was very, very good.
Old 13-07-2017, 20:49   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I agree with the others that they are both well built boats and great designs.

Condition on any boat a few decades old is a larger issue in many respects.

Based on a quick look on Yachtworld for example, there is one in Boston with teak decks that I wouldn't touch at any price.

There is one in Palm City Florida and another in Sarasota Florida that look very good based on the listing.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 14:18   #11

Teak deck? Yikes!!! NO, NO, NO.

Only if they have been replaced in the last 10 years. On a 30 year old boat, the decks will need to be replaced soon if not now. Figure $1200-$1500 per linear foot to have it done correctly. $50K+ is a good planning number.
Old 14-07-2017, 18:34   #12

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
...On a 30 year old boat, the decks will need to be replaced soon if not now...
Not necessarily. Depends on where the boat was kept, if the decks had been covered, original thickness, how they were maintained, how they were installed, etc.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 18:52   #13

If the boat has been kept in a shed for years, then perhaps the decks would be OK. But if it has been sailed, the odds are 10 to 1 that the teak decks on a 30 years old boat will need to be replaced in a few years.

Stay clear of the expense unless you really love teak decks and you have $50K -$60K that you no idea what to do with.
Old 14-07-2017, 20:04   #14

As others have said, Henri built quality boats. I was fortunate to meet him a couple times and he always struck me as a decent, reputable person & businessman also. I always admired the rugged simplicity of his 70's era boats. I remember one in particular, a Centurion 32' that had been in Cape Town/Rio race 4x and back on her own bottom 3x. the 4th time up the East coast when I had occasion to see/look at her. While obviously sailed, her structure and components were in fine condition, particularly if compared to the typical US production boat of the same era. His 80's era boats appeared to have similar high build quality, but, IMO, were more of a production boat when compared to earlier ones. You are looking at a 35+/- boat. Its' care, service history, and maintenance are major factors contributing to condition. Get a good, reputable surveyor, not a broker's hack or a survey school wonder. Good luck with it.
old frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2017, 23:26   #15

Boat: Swanson 36 in Australia Bavaria 42 in Med

Quote:
If the boat has been kept in a shed for years, then perhaps the decks would be OK. But if it has been sailed, the odds are 10 to 1 that the teak decks on a 30 years old boat will need to be replaced in a few years.

Stay clear of the expense unless you really love teak decks and you have $50K -$60K that you no idea what to do with.
Alternatively. Teak decks can be replaced with other than teak. Fraction of the cost.
patprice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood