Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:52   #91

Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Looks a very sweet deal to me.. they are great boats and she looks in good nick if the pic's are recent..
Most likely the location and lack of local buyers.. be a long sail home... or a bill for a delivery skipper to price into the equation..
Give me a call...
Looked into this a bit more, its a tired old boat apparantly. Photos probably taken years before, same old story.................if its too good to be true.........
SimonBUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:05   #92
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBUK View Post
Looked into this a bit more, its a tired old boat apparantly. Photos probably taken years before, same old story.................if its too good to be true.........
Yeah.. that's why I questioned age of pic's.. flew a long way once on the strength of 10yr old pic's.. now I ask for dated one's.. lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:28   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owendog View Post
My 1984 Hood 38 has the two blade standard prop that was original equipment. It seems that considering engine size that I wonder about a more powerful prop.

Anyone have comment on this? Is the three blade fixed Sailor Prop a reasonable alternative? Other comments?
I think you'll find the 3 blade Sailor much better.. especially coming into a dock in reverse. I think the drag of one extra lobe is very minimal.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38   #94

Boat: Little Harbor 38

* "Centerboard

Have you ever been in heavy weather / seas going to weather with CB down?

How does she handle and do you fear for CB integrity in such conditions? Seems like when you most need it, you have 6' of board undergoing some serious pressure"

I have a Little Harbor 38 and almost always sail with the board down. You really need it on a beam reach if it's blowing otherwise the boat gets squirrely. Never had any problems in heavy weather.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 14:46   #95

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I have a Bristol 38.8
close reach: board down, no matter what the conditions
Beam reach: board down if the wind is 18+. Otherwise, board 1/2 down
Broad reach/run: board just a little down (improves tracking).
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 06:25   #96

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I have seen a Wauquiez 38 Mk1 with the swan hatch, but it has a 2nd hatch access to the cockpit area. Is that 2nd hatch access not standard?. If the 2nd hatch has been done properly would that remove most of the advantage the Mk2.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 10:12   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I have seen a Wauquiez 38 Mk1 with the swan hatch, but it has a 2nd hatch access to the cockpit area. Is that 2nd hatch access not standard?. If the 2nd hatch has been done properly would that remove most of the advantage the Mk2.

A very good question that I currently have as well. In fact I have been told that the engine access on a MK 1 is far better and therefore potentially making an MK 1 with the added companionway ( MK 1.5 ) the best option and possibly preferable to the MK 2.

I too would love if owners could weigh in as I am currently in the market for a Hood.

Russ
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 16:56   #98

Bounce, hopefully this time I included contributors who can advise if a Mk1 has a second entry hatch to the cockpit, then perhaps it would be more acceptable.
Engine access, perhaps advantage of not having a "Vee" drive, single spreader (Insurance is less, perhaps?), another option for ventilation. These would appear to be advantages that Mk1 has over Mk2.
With the above mofification, would the Mk2 still have strong selling advantage over Mk1. There is only a Mk1 available for sale in my area, with the mod but a bit pricey.
Old 07-05-2014, 15:03   #99

I personally don't like the Swan style double companionway on the MKI, but it's a matter of taste.

The real issue when buying a Hood Wauquiez 38 is teak decks. These boats were built in the 1980s, and the decks are starting to need replacement. It is an incredibly expensive job, even if you have the skills to do it yourself (I certainly do not).

So find one without teak decks or one where the teak decks have already been replaced.
Old 07-05-2014, 18:01   #100

[QUOTE=Curmudgeon;1535538]I personally don't like the Swan style double companionway on the MKI, but it's a matter of taste.

Thanks Curmudgeon, grateful for any reply. I think you mean that even with a second hatchway to the cockpit. You still don't like it.

The second hatchway was only 3 steps but vertical. I think it is manageable as the preferred entry. The swan hatch, could be a generous ventilation port and perhaps used occasionally to leave the sleeper in the Stbd Quarter undisturbed.
Old 07-05-2014, 18:42   #101

I took curmudgeon's reply as just about the Swan Style hatch and not taking into account having the second hatch added.

I am told the MK1 has much better engine access, a better aft berth ( I guess cause of the original lack of hatch back there). This all made it sound as though an MK1 with a second hatch added would be the ideal version to have. But this is all broker info to me I wish someone who has experience on MK 1.0, 1.5, and 2.0 would provide there thoughts.

Thanks
kabball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 18:57   #102

Kabball, Think, not sure, but the berth in the Stbd quarter Mk1 is slightly more forward, allowing occupant to swing out, don't think ladder is in the way. What is Mk1.5? Is this modification it.

Would really appreciate more comments from other owners please.
Old 07-05-2014, 19:44   #103

[QUOTE=Oceanride007;1535697]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I personally don't like the Swan style double companionway on the MKI, but it's a matter of taste.

Thanks Curmudgeon, grateful for any reply. I think you mean that even with a second hatchway to the cockpit. You still don't like it.

The second hatchway was only 3 steps but vertical. I think it is manageable as the preferred entry. The swan hatch, could be a generous ventilation port and perhaps used occasionally to leave the sleeper in the Stbd Quarter undisturbed.
Yes, that's what I meant. It's more ventilation, but also more ways for water to get in.

I prefer the layout of my Bristol 38.8 to either version of the Hood Wauquiez or the Little Harbor 38. The Hood Wauquiez has the double aft cabin, but along with the 2nd head the aft cabin makes the rest of the boat cramped. The Little Harbor 38's have a pilot berth, which is a complete waste of space IMHO. My wife also loves the head on our Bristol 38.8 which has a separate toilet/shower compartment, while I love the huge lazarette on the port side, which is made possible by the quarter berth (I suppose you could call it a double quarterberth for small people) instead of the double cabin on the starboard side.
Old 23-06-2014, 22:58   #104

Boat: Wauquiez, Hood 38 # 176

I've recently purchased a 86 Wauquiez Hood 38 (lovely boat!) out of Opua here in NZ.
However, she has a few minor 'egg shell' effect gel coat issues on the topsides created from the uprights of being in a cradle (moisture from carpet protector) for an extended period.
To that end, my question is: Does anyone out there know what brand of gel coat Wauquiez used in the 80's???

Hopefully someone will know, and that it's still available!

Dennis Bouverie
SailNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 02:32   #105

Boat: Wauquiez, Hood 38 # 176
Re: Wauquiez Hood 38 just purchased in Annapolis

Hello David.
I've recently purchased a 86 Wauquiez Hood 38 here on New Zealand, I have to say the build quality and attention to detail is something to behold.
Having said that, I have some minor 'egg shell' cracking to the gel coat on the topsides which need repairing. To that end my question is: Are you able to ascertain what brand of gel coat was used in the production process back then?

Warm Regards
Dennis Bouverie,
Tauranga
New Zealand.
SailNZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hood