Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2013, 08:46   #76

Boat: wauquiez
Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

BONSOIR ! I will send you informations at home ; Where is your Marina ?
Regards ; david
david merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 01:22   #77
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch

Hi, I'm based in Auckland, NZ. There are no Hood 38's in this part of the world but I am really taken with them, particularly on reading Ted Hood's book after hearing he had died. I like his combination of hull shape, moderate to heavy displacement and low wetted surface to give a fast, well balanced, good sailing yet sturdy cruising boat with little sensitivity towards added cruising benefits contributing extra weight. So if I want one it will have to come from EU or the US and I will need to sail it back home. We are up for 15% sales tax and a 6% local market duty protection so can't afford the extra $US23K to ship it here on top. It appears the prices have come down to a more affordable level, I note a Mk 1 for <$US50K which seems great buying. Sure it has the Swan hatch plus teak decks but it wouldn't take $10K to fit a cockpit access hatchway plus internal rearrangements would it? I sailed last month to Fiji in a Beneteau First 38, a 1200 nm trip with just 2 on board. We spent most of our night watches perched in the companionway ready to exit quickly if the autopilot 'lost it' or a ship loomed up requiring the strobe light to be turned on. How does the Swan system work to cope with this sort of arrangement. Is the single spreader rig a risk/problem with pumping in big seas? Is the Mk II a quicker boat? I would expect the Hood is a far better and safer cruising and racing boat than the Beneteau with a superior build quality though prices for similar age vessels are not far apart. What do you all think? Cheers, Phil
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 08:30   #78

Most those Waquiez's seem a step above in build quality over many of the boats out there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 00:30   #79

Boat: wauquiez

HI PHIL , I am happy to receive a contact from N Z where are some WAUQUIEZ : 1 CENTURION 47 , sold some years ago from cannes d 'azur, an american Pretorian for sale . Is the Hood is in your area? I can give you informations about this model but by a private email . I don't want to leave these " precious " old documents in line . Best regards , david
david merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:10   #80
I14

Thanks David, I did a local search and can't find any Wauquiez for sale in NZ. I have my sights set on the 38 and Ted Hood's design philosophy of waterline beam, displacement and wetted surface combined with the centreboard plus my marina is a 12m one but you have to keep an open mind I guess. Also many thanks for your offer of private info, I will take you up on it if anything pops up. Many thanks, Phil
Old 08-08-2013, 05:42   #81

Boat: Bristol 38.8

There's one for sale in Thailand.
1982 Wauquiez Hood 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You might prefer a Bristol 38.8 like mine (same hull). The quarterberth is smaller than the quarter cabin on the Wauquiez, but everything else is larger. You'll likely have to come to the U.S. to get a Bristol 38.8, which BTW has a double spreader rig.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 13:26   #82
I14

I think the Bristols are out of my price range of approx US$65K tops though it's a buyrs market so bargains come up occasionally. There's an import tax of 15% plus a residual industry protection tax of 6% here which make the sums harder for me. I expect to sail one back from the US, should be fun. Will keep an eye on the boat in Thailand. Thanks.
Old 27-10-2013, 20:58   #83

Just made a cool little video of sailing a Wauquiez Hood Mk2 from Canada to Seattle in some good seas and 40 knot winds.
Sailing to Seattle on Snow Goose [revised) Wauquiez Hood 38 - YouTube
ghostflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 20:51   #84

Anybody have any idea as to why this MK 2 seems so cheap ? Looks ok with its new paint job, no facts on the age of its rigging and sails though.....

YBC A1074ST
SimonBUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 23:00   #85

Hi, just to chime in, we got our Wauquiez a couple of weeks ago and we've been over it with a fine toothed comb by now, such a nice boat! (Not biased of course) The build quality and our is from 1975 is fantastic. So solid and sensible but still with real style. Really easy to get around on to, inside and out.

(Really, I'm not biased!)
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 23:37   #86

Great video GF, sweet boat but nothing approaching 40 knots in the vid.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 08:56   #87

Boat: 1984 Hood 38

I have a 1984 Wauquiez Hood 38. I lost that wonderful, removable swim ladder that was mounted on the transom. Anyone know how to get a replacement?
Owendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 09:09   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonBUK View Post
Anybody have any idea as to why this MK 2 seems so cheap ? Looks ok with its new paint job, no facts on the age of its rigging and sails though.....

YBC A1074ST
Looks a very sweet deal to me.. they are great boats and she looks in good nick if the pic's are recent..
Most likely the location and lack of local buyers.. be a long sail home... or a bill for a delivery skipper to price into the equation..
Give me a call...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2014, 06:08   #89

Unhappy Re: Wauquiez Hood 38

My 1984 Hood 38 has the two blade standard prop that was original equipment. It seems that considering engine size that I wonder about a more powerful prop.

Anyone have comment on this? Is the three blade fixed Sailor Prop a reasonable alternative? Other comments?
Old 31-01-2014, 06:17   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Do a search here and on the old SSCA archive board. This boat has extensive discussions. Looke for posts by John Drake
[QUOTE=nico te laak;236386]Hello John Drake,

I was reading your stories about (your) hood 38.
I'm considering a hood38 mk2 myself.
My question to you , as an experienced owner; which are the specific (weak) points of the hood 38 to look after.
( maybe there are no weaknesses but I can hardly believe that)
I now own a ranger 37. Looks and sails good but not very solid.

Well, I hope you can answer my question.

I'd say the standard propane locker and gas supplies are totally insufficient.

Nico te Laak, The Netherlands[/QUOT

Tags
hood