Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2009, 09:18   #16

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
For sea-water RO you'd need one of these Watermaker Seawater RO Systems

They don't say how much it costs, and that usually means its alot!

Though their smallest machine is 100 gallon/day... really a 10 GPD would be more suitable... If anyone has seen one please let me know...
Old 28-01-2009, 10:23   #17

Boat: islandpacket
Jaz, one thing to keep in mind is RO uses a lot of power. Most are used when the engine is running to charge the batteries. So a 10gpd would have to run 24 hours for 10 gallons and a 100 gpd would have to run 2.1 hours for the same 10 gallons. You need to figure power usage also how much it needs and how you will get it. Its not as simple as just getting a water maker. You may have a large battery bank, solar and a gen set and power may not be a problem. But a lot of sailors charge there batteries a couple of hours a day and get a RO system that would replace the water needed in that same time.
Old 28-01-2009, 10:46   #18

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Hi Badsanta, I don't know about the seawater ones, but a 30 Gl/day one I saw for fresh water was quoted at 30w/gallon.
I should add that I'd be only actually making 1-2 gallons a day. And shall have a bank of 3 100aH batteries charged by 5amp wind geni and 2 50w solar panels, and all my onboard electrics are as low powered as possible.

Tags
watermaker