Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-10-2013, 10:06   #46

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Re: Water Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I can only speak to my first long passage. 2 people, 40 gallons,1 gallon per day. Did a little bit of rain catching, but not much. This was a 22 day passage to the Marquesas, in an engineless 26 foot boat. We were very,very conservative on water usage, since we had no idea how long the passage would take. Had a great passage, but I suffered from dehydration towards the end of the trip. I was never that conservative, or worried about water use after that lesson. _____Grant.
Wow...engineless...How long ago did you do this? Where did you leave from?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 10:58   #47

That trip was in my adventurist youth,mid 1970s. left from Mazatlan out to Socorro Island. just to see if we could find the Island with my plastic sextant, and newly learned skills. It all worked fine and after a week at Socorro, we left for the Marquesas, approx 2400 miles in 22 days. By the last week, I was feeling tired and came down with a nasal infection that I think came from dehydration. There were 3 doctors anchored in Atuana, and they fixed me up real quick. I think the fresh fruit and lots of water, and the sleep of the dead for a few nights did most of the curing. I was much more careful about hydration after that. Contessa,s Rock. _____Grant.

Old 24-10-2013, 11:16   #48

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26'
Send a message via AIM to bbowers2004 Send a message via MSN to bbowers2004 Send a message via Yahoo to bbowers2004 Send a message via Skype™ to bbowers2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Really? Each of you get by with one quart of water each day? Sometimes using up to 1/2 gallon each? You aren't even achieving the "survival conditions" catagory.

I'm not judging you - just as curious about your usage as I was Impi's.

Mark
Funny thing I was wondering the opposite...

"How could all these people ever consume that much water on a daily basis"

Even when I'm working out steadily it would be hard for me to consume more that 3 Times this number that I mentioned....

Quoted from a source....

"2 litres is a good minimum for the average person to drink in a day in order to maximise brain function, expel waste from the body, improve your mood, raise your energy levels and hydrate your body, skin and hair. At first you might find all the water consumption difficult to keep up, and even boring to remember, but if you stagger your water intake, in small amounts often rather than downing a litre at a time, you will stay better hydrated and avoid running to the toilet everytime you drink. "

I never once felt dehydrated, and know the symptoms...

Dehydration: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I was not trying to test myself or pushing myself to the limit, and my companion actually drank less water then me during periods....

You'd be surprise what you can get away with if you manage your energy.

Obviously your food has water in it as well, and I didn't calculate that if we ate an orange that was apart of our water....
bbowers2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 11:55   #49

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Wow...engineless...How long ago did you do this? Where did you leave from?
Impressive in a 26ft, boat. I have to laugh because they are going at it again on another thread about charts vs. plotter. Then a guy like you with a plastic sextant and a few gallons of water goes to one of the most ideal places in the world...good job
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 18:01   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers2004 View Post
Funny thing I was wondering the opposite...

"How could all these people ever consume that much water on a daily basis"

Even when I'm working out steadily it would be hard for me to consume more that 3 Times this number that I mentioned....

Quoted from a source....

"2 litres is a good minimum for the average person to drink in a day in order to maximise brain function, expel waste from the body, improve your mood, raise your energy levels and hydrate your body, skin and hair. At first you might find all the water consumption difficult to keep up, and even boring to remember, but if you stagger your water intake, in small amounts often rather than downing a litre at a time, you will stay better hydrated and avoid running to the toilet everytime you drink. "

I never once felt dehydrated, and know the symptoms...

Dehydration: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

I was not trying to test myself or pushing myself to the limit, and my companion actually drank less water then me during periods....

You'd be surprise what you can get away with if you manage your energy.

Obviously your food has water in it as well, and I didn't calculate that if we ate an orange that was apart of our water....
Really, I'm not judging - just understanding the "low usage" side. Your one quart of water per person each day is very frugal, and less than that required as minimum in the sources you quoted in your reply.

We use 3-4 gallons each per day. I never thought this was a lot, but now think it is compared to many.

I easily drink a gallon each day. Yes, I could "manage" my hydration and spend a lot of time focused on my internals, but the fact of the matter is I drink as much as I want when I am thirsty, and I sweat like a pig in the heat. I know I lose a gallon of water in sweat each day - it runs off me in rivers.

So now I am down to 2-3 gallons after drinking one. I am in the water a lot and take a fresh water rinse when I get out each time. Keeping salt out of the boat is very important to us. Also, after spearfishing or diving off the dinghy, the dinghy gets a quick fresh water rinse. Again, keeping salt off the boat and our clothes is important to us. Then I take a shower each night.

Similar for Michele, but she doesn't drink as much because she is good in heat. However, there are dishes and laundry and her shower probably uses a bit more than mine because of hair.

But that is our requirement - no saltwater dishwashing or bathing and no focus on metering out water through a hole in a bottle cap or other such worries.

When it rains, we feel bad because we can catch 100 gal in one hour, after which we just watch the water fill the ocean. We can never use it fast enough during rainy periods.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2013, 00:44   #51

I think, as it has been pointed out, that the amounts of water listed as survival minimums dont take into acount the water that is contained in food. Canned peaches and fruit cocktail contained water and sugar, and augmented the low water intake. Even with that, I never let myself get dehydrated after that passage.. I also dont think I have ever opened a can of fruit cocktail since. Would I do a minimalist trip again?????. Hell yes, if the finances said minimalist or dont go. _____Grant.
Old 26-10-2013, 01:05   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m

2 people and 2 cats
1000 litres in 3 tanks plus 250 litres in jugs on deck
35-40 litres per day
Jugs

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: