Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2013, 08:19   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Water system on Bristol 27

Hi, everyone, I'm attaching an inside view of a thru-hull in my "new" 40-year-old Bristol 27. This doesn't look like a bronze seacock to me, but does look like it needs a lot of attention. I'm going to go with a composting head. My question is: Do I really need a grey water system? I do hope to be doing some serious medium-range cruising. And if I do keep a grey water system, does anybody ever opt for a single thru-hull in the back transom for all waste-water from the entire boat (engine and grey water) using a y-valve? Best regards, Nesanel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000560.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	406.9 KB
ID:	72742  
nesanel1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 08:30   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Water system on Bristol 27

What do you mean by "gray water system"? Does your sink and shower drain into a tank?
Old 27-12-2013, 09:22   #3

Hi, HopCar,
Thank you for responding.
There is no shower at the moment on the boat, only a porto potty. The old head and holding tank have been removed, though two resulting thru-hulls still exist on the port side. On the starboard side is a dinette with a sink, which connects straight to the hose in the picture and also leads through the hull. The pump in the picture draws water from a tank bag under the V-berths.
The cabin of the Bristol 27 is VERY small. Getting a shower in there is going to be difficult, if not impossible. I'm opting for a composting head.
So I guess I have two questions:
(1) How bad does that thru-hull look in structural terms? (Is it even legal to empty the waste water (I called it "gray water") straight out of the boat?)
(2) What are my best options for a rudimentary fresh water system?
Nesanel
Old 27-12-2013, 09:30   #4

Boat: csy 37

do you plan on living aboard or doing some long term cruising? are you in a cold climate or the tropics? there are differences!

pumping grey water overboard is no problem in 99% of all places. a tank bag under the v-berth will work, but I've always avoided them because I'm not sure how well they can be disinfected. once a year or so I run a large dose of bleach and water through my tanks and scrub them out.

as for the thru hull, have a knowledgeable person check it out, as well as all your through hulls. it might be worthwhile to haul out for a real good look at everything under the water - those are usually the things that sink boats, and need to be strong and reliable.

I knew a couple who lived aboard a Bristol 27 in the Bahamas. it's a good old boat. they had minimal systems, a pump out head, no shower, plastic water tanks, foot pump, and minimal everything else. but it's warm in the Bahamas, and you're never more than a few days from a dock or a store. and that was back in the 80's, before all the overboard discharge crap came along....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 09:48   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesanel1a View Post
Hi, everyone, I'm attaching an inside view of a thru-hull in my "new" 40-year-old Bristol 27. This doesn't look like a bronze seacock to me, but does look like it needs a lot of attention. I'm going to go with a composting head. My question is: Do I really need a grey water system? I do hope to be doing some serious medium-range cruising. And if I do keep a grey water system, does anybody ever opt for a single thru-hull in the back transom for all waste-water from the entire boat (engine and grey water) using a y-valve? Best regards, Nesanel
I'm not familar with that thruhull (unless it's one of the ones for the cockpit drain) . My 1974 Bristol 27 has the 2 thruhulls on the port side forward, one that is plugged on the starboard side forward, then the two in front of the old engine compartment which is where the sink discharge used to hookup. There are also 2 on the stern.

All my thruhulls are closed off btw except one of the ones on the stern which is for the bilge pump. There are also the two for the cockpit drains which are open.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 10:03   #6

thomm225,
This is the forward thru-hull on the starboard side which runs from the dinette sink.
(I have the dinette version of the B27 and I think you must have the cruising version, given that I have no thru-hulls opposite the engine compartment. That said, why would you have a thru-hull forward on the starboard side?)
Do you have any fresh water system in your B27 at the moment?
Old 27-12-2013, 10:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
do you plan on living aboard or doing some long term cruising? are you in a cold climate or the tropics? there are differences!

[...]

as for the thru hull, have a knowledgeable person check it out, as well as all your through hulls. it might be worthwhile to haul out for a real good look at everything under the water - those are usually the things that sink boats, and need to be strong and reliable. ....

onestepcsy37,
The boat is out of the water in the cold Hudson River Valley. I'm planning my pre-launch work. Ultimately, I'm thinking to make a crossing with the boat in a year or so.
My instinct is to properly seal all of the thru-halls with layers of glass. But if someone will convince me to keep the fresh water system, I'll install a bronze seacock on the thru-hull pictured above.
Old 27-12-2013, 10:10   #8

I just have the standard 20 gallon fresh water tank in the bow that feeds the sink. I have my sink discharge going to the bilge but I haven't used the sink since I unhooked it from it's thruhull forward of the engine compartment. I do keep it filled with water though in case I need it and to keep the boat balanced right for the cockpit drains.

Btw, the other one that is forward of the engine compartment is for the raw water to the diesel which I have removed. (the diesel not the thruhull) Attached are the thruhulls forward.

The one that is plugged is the one on the starboard side. The one with the hose is for the head from the Y valve but it is closed off as is that small one which I don't know what it was used for. Those two top pictures are of the port side.

My interior has been altered by the original owner. I think it was a dinette also. Maybe yours came with an outboard instead of a diesel.

You may find more pictures here: (My boat is Winter Dream)

http://www.bristol27.com/category/bristol-specific
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 160.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	410.8 KB
ID:	72797   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 161.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	72798  

Name:	Picture 162.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	72799  
Old 27-12-2013, 10:40   #9

Thank you for the pictures!
I would feel a lot more confident if my thru-hull had your real seacock intalled on it.
The ballast argument in favor of keeping a filled water tank forward is a good one, and one that I will integrate into my ultimate solution.
Old 27-12-2013, 10:58   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

NESANEL, Gray water is any water you use that doesn't go through the toilet. If it goes through the toilet it is often referred to as black water. I don't know of any area where you can't discharge grey water.

You've dealt with the black water by switching to a litter box toilet.

Your fresh water system is as basic as it gets and should work fine. Let the sink continue to drain overboard. Examine the thru-hull and be sure it has a flanged seacock to close it. I don't think it's safe to just screw a valve on the end of a thru-hull fitting. That's another thread.

You can extend your fresh water by installing another foot pump to supply salt water to the sink. Another improvement might be to replace your bag type tank with a rigid tank. You'll probably get more capacity in the same foot print. Ronco is a good place to buy water tanks. Ronco Plastics - Marine Water Tanks, RV Water Tank, Auto Detail Tanks, Water Tanks

Carry spare parts for your foot pump. They don't last forever.

You can shower on deck using one of those solar shower bags. This gray water will of course drain overboard.
Old 27-12-2013, 11:17   #11

Great suggestions, HopCar. I'll follow your leads.
Thank you for the reply.
Old 27-12-2013, 13:39   #12

Here's that photo. I couldn't seem to find the attachment thingy on the pm reply page.

Again, I just got my boat functional and did the bottom then started sailing in some tough conditions to see how the boat would do.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01655.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	72802  

Tags
gray water, plumbing, water, water systems