Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2012, 17:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
Water maker installation on a Beneteau 49

Has anyone with a Beneteau 49 installed a water maker on their boat. I am looking at putting a Spectra onboard but I am having problems deciding where to put it.
KeithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 17:04   #2

Re: Water maker installation on a Beneteau 49

One nice thing about most Spectra units is the multiple pieces can be put in different locations. But I'd keep the seawater pipes short as they can get stinky.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2012, 19:36   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
We just installed a Spectra on our 473. We installed it in the forward cabin under the bed. You can see pictures of it and a description of the process on our blog www.sailblogs.com/member/smartmoveadventures. It as (initially) a very intimidating project, but went very well once we got up the nerve to start the project! Let me know if you have any questions.

Robyn
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 13:55   #4

Boat: Beneteau 49

I thought about under the forward berth but we have a bow thruster which takes up a bunch of room plus I didn't want to have the possibility of water leaking onto the electric motor on top of the thruster. Your install looks great. Are you happy with the Spectra unit? I am considering the aft lazerette which is very large and runs from the port to starboard sides of the boat.

FAIR WINDS
Keith
KeithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 14:57   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Hello, over here.

Sometimes I feel like a lonely little Petunia in an onion patch.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 15:05   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

If you have any questions on your Spectra, installation, maintenance, service etc. Just ask. I've done one or two.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2012, 16:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithJ View Post
I thought about under the forward berth but we have a bow thruster which takes up a bunch of room plus I didn't want to have the possibility of water leaking onto the electric motor on top of the thruster. Your install looks great. Are you happy with the Spectra unit? I am considering the aft lazerette which is very large and runs from the port to starboard sides of the boat.

FAIR WINDS
Keith
If you look under the berth I think you will be surprised how much room you have. One reason that we decided to put it here was because we had power close by (for the windless) that we could tap into. Plus the pumps fit into the spaces on either side of the drawers really well.

We haven't actually fired it up yet, but I believe we are really going to like it. After conquering the install and the massive installation manual -- how hard could it be!

We never really considered using the space in our lazerettes, I am sure our boat is configured a bit differently from yours. Having the watermaker located in proximity to a water maker and power were our priorities. We removed our stern water tank and installed an additional fuel tank, so (for us) that ruled out locating it anywhere in the back of the boat.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
Old 28-11-2012, 16:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If you have any questions on your Spectra, installation, maintenance, service etc. Just ask. I've done one or two.
Trust me, I had you on speed dial. However, after a couple of stiff drinks to calm down the panic, we approached the installation manual. We read through it twice before we started. Once we determined everything would fit where we wanted to put it, it was a piece of cake.

Of course we haven't fired it up yet and you are still on speed dial! But seriously, we are not expecting any problems, a little tweaking maybe, but nothing serious. I can send you pictures, if you want to show off a Bene install.
Old 01-02-2015, 00:51   #9

Boat: Amel 50

I know this is an old thread but... where is a good spot to install a watermaker on a B49?
boom23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, installation, water