Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2018, 07:14   #1

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32
Warning New Boat Owner

This may be a bit premature but i may have finally purchased a boat... 32' Westerly Fulmar. The boat has been happily winning races in the Miami area for some years and the owner is upgrading to a one design boat. so the boat sails well but for my purposes i would consider it a fixer-upper. looking forward to a year of boat fixing and hopefully some sailing. plan is to head South to the Virgin Islands then up the east coast as the weather improves. i'll be heading to Riverside Marina Ft Pierce mid January and probably asking lots of questions... see you out there...
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Warning New Boat Owner

Congratulations Steven.. hopefully not prematurely..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:48   #3

Re: Warning New Boat Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Congratulations Steven.. hopefully not prematurely..
prematurely = paid and assuming everything goes through OK, this is a none broker / escrow transaction between two gentlemen. what could possibly go wrong...

Regards Steven
Old 10-12-2018, 10:02   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Congratulations. When you leave the Virgins to head to the east coast you may want to stop at Bermuda. I plan to arrive early May and leave early July before I return to New England. If we meet up lunch is on me.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Congratulations. When you leave the Virgins to head to the east coast you may want to stop at Bermuda. I plan to arrive early May and leave early July before I return to New England. If we meet up lunch is on me.
Deal...
Old 11-12-2018, 11:43   #6

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

The 32' Westerly Fulmar is great for coastal cruising in areas where significant differences between high and low tide are likely to put single keel boats on their sides at low tide as in protected waters along the coast of New England. This offers many possibilities that come with being closer to the shore in remote areas for exploring. And, being connected to the sea bottom for several hours, offers more possibilities for exploring for shell fish, picnicking on shoals, looking for crabs and lobsters with a net.

I don't know how well they sail when the going gets tough, but I assume you will want to check that out on a very windy day before deciding .

However, here is the downside (pun intended I suppose): google the images of the underside of the hull and you will see that the propeller and rudder are hung out from the hull, increasing vulnerability if running aground on shoal banks where the prop runs aground before either one of the keels do. But, in any depth of water it will gather up sea weed, flotsam, fishing nets, etc., slowing boat speed and interfering with rudder response, making it a serious liability in heavy current, as when crossing the Gulf Stream or trying to beat off of a lee shore. Also, the unprotected rudder appears to be on the small side.

I would advise that you look at other designs that have the advantages offered by a single keel that have either: 1) a skeg molded with the hull, to which the rudder is hung; or 2) a more traditional cut-away fuller length keel.

In summary, there are good reasons why twin keels are popular where the tide differential is great, but not so in other waters. ...there are so many other designs at reasonable for sale by owner prices to choose from.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 13:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
The 32' Westerly Fulmar is great for coastal cruising in areas where significant differences between high and low tide are likely to put single keel boats on their sides at low tide as in protected waters along the coast of New England. This offers many possibilities that come with being closer to the shore in remote areas for exploring. And, being connected to the sea bottom for several hours, offers more possibilities for exploring for shell fish, picnicking on shoals, looking for crabs and lobsters with a net.

I don't know how well they sail when the going gets tough, but I assume you will want to check that out on a very windy day before deciding .

However, here is the downside (pun intended I suppose): google the images of the underside of the hull and you will see that the propeller and rudder are hung out from the hull, increasing vulnerability if running aground on shoal banks where the prop runs aground before either one of the keels do. But, in any depth of water it will gather up sea weed, flotsam, fishing nets, etc., slowing boat speed and interfering with rudder response, making it a serious liability in heavy current, as when crossing the Gulf Stream or trying to beat off of a lee shore. Also, the unprotected rudder appears to be on the small side.

I would advise that you look at other designs that have the advantages offered by a single keel that have either: 1) a skeg molded with the hull, to which the rudder is hung; or 2) a more traditional cut-away fuller length keel.

In summary, there are good reasons why twin keels are popular where the tide differential is great, but not so in other waters. ...there are so many other designs at reasonable for sale by owner prices to choose from.
Taipe
thanks for the comments but i have no intention of running aground (unless i can get a 'go fund me' account going) it is a 5.3' single iron keel, also i hauled it to make sure. it may or may-not be a good coastal boat but that is not its destiny for the foreseeable future... one way or another we are going cruising.

not all westerlies are bilge keels...

Best Regards Steven
Old 11-12-2018, 14:20   #8

Hi Steven,
Apparently some of them were made with dual keels. For your purposes its good you have the single keel.

I used to have a cast iron keel on a Scandinavian Folkboat and held to the hull from below with zinc plated steel nuts & washers on steel studs that needed protection against corrosion (unless silicon bronze was specified by the owner). Do you know if your iron keel is installed from above or is it attached from below?
Old 11-12-2018, 14:31   #9

Taipe
It’s through bolted from the inside in the typical manor with stainless (what looks like) threaded rod and stainless nuts and washers. I haven’t pulled one to check them, just assuming that there OK.... rightly or wrongly.
Old 11-12-2018, 14:41   #10

As bolted on from the inside, that is definitely the better way of the two. Looks like you know what you're doing! Happy exploring on this floating marble we call the earth! ...leads me to think that if sailors ruled our planet, it might be called the sea!
Old 15-12-2018, 11:23   #11

Boat: Better not mention, (it's a motorized sloep)

I'm jealous,

I wish I was as far as you are, with moving to the blue yonder.

Whenever you'r in Ams. , let me know and be my guest (on my float) to boat through the Ams. canals.

Just pm me.

Grtz R

robregje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 16:43   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

great boat,tough but should be fine for banging into the trades if you are prepared to motorsail to windward on your way east from miami to the carib.

a word of warning though,on some of the westerlys of that era the chain plates are know to fail from crevice corrosion,specifically the through deck bolted "D" type used on that model and other westerlys for the shrouds.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 07:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
great boat,tough but should be fine for banging into the trades if you are prepared to motorsail to windward on your way east from miami to the carib.

a word of warning though,on some of the westerlys of that era the chain plates are know to fail from crevice corrosion,specifically the through deck bolted "D" type used on that model and other westerlys for the shrouds.
Thanks for the ‘heads up’ this particular rig was changed from fractional to masthead when the boat was new because that’s what the American market preferred. So along with that change it lost its baby stay (maybe wrong terminology) and gained two extra intermediate shrouds. Giving me a total of six shroud chainplates, all of which seem oversized. I haven’t pulled them out for inspection yet but I do need to change the cap shrouds in January so time permitting I’ll do it then. I’m kind of new at this so I’m playing it by ear to begin with.
Old 16-12-2018, 08:19   #14

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven UK View Post
prematurely = paid and assuming everything goes through OK, this is a none broker / escrow transaction between two gentlemen. what could possibly go wrong...

Regards Steven
That’s how all my sales have been......
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2018, 10:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSail View Post
That’s how all my sales have been......
That was a timely... the paperwork arrived yesterday registered post.

Tags
boat