Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 06:23   #1

Wanting to tickets the plunge with a Nantucket Island 38

So, I would consider myself a rookie. I do have sailing experience, but not a ton! Mostly small...laser, sunfish...but also a week long charter ona 42' Beneteau and day sailing a Bavaria 39 and a Catalina 320. Now I have my sights set on a Nantucket Island 38. There aren't many out there and info is hard to find. Anyone have any knowledge or inputs?
Benfavorite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 19:14   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Wanting to tickets the plunge with a Nantucket Island 38

If you don't have the skill to assess the vessel yourself hire a surveyor. Just keep in mind a surveyor is essentially held harmless for anything he misses.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 04:19   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Peter Cole design. Not many 38's but a lot more 33's were built. A 38 is basically a scaled up 33. As an owner of a 33 I quite like the somewhat quirky design. Amazing space down below and a cockpit you can sleep in at the expense of locker storage and coaming height. Sail ok (Peter Cole was a designer of many racing boats), but they don't point particularly high. A lot were built in Taiwan but some were built in Australia. Not sure what constructional differences are, but our Aussie built unit has a solid hull and deck with foam cored stringers. The foredeck, chainplate knees and bilge stringers are plywood cored so check these for rot.

The main issue is deck leaks or port leaks damaging the interior woodwork over time. Make sure you close the ports when sailing! The bilges are shallow which tends to allow water to slosh around so check underneath the engine and at the base of the mast support for excessive corrosion.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 15:13   #4

Thanks for the input Reefmagnet...hate to know how you got that handle!.....its things like you mentioned that concern me. Plywood rot in bilge stringers sounds like a nightmare! I'm in Okinawa Japan (so is the boat) so trying to repair something like that sounds like an insurmountable task! Of course, the issue of quality surveyors is an unknown as well. Pretty early in this process so I'll be patient, I would just love to get out on the water! It would be beautiful sailing around the Ryukyu Islands. But this is exactly the input I knew I would get from Cruisers Forum....what to look out for.....what is acceptable and not.

Thanks
Old 25-11-2015, 16:49   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfavorite View Post
Thanks for the input Reefmagnet...hate to know how you got that handle!.....its things like you mentioned that concern me. Plywood rot in bilge stringers sounds like a nightmare! I'm in Okinawa Japan (so is the boat) so trying to repair something like that sounds like an insurmountable task! Of course, the issue of quality surveyors is an unknown as well. Pretty early in this process so I'll be patient, I would just love to get out on the water! It would be beautiful sailing around the Ryukyu Islands. But this is exactly the input I knew I would get from Cruisers Forum....what to look out for.....what is acceptable and not.

Thanks
Ahhh, don't let that put you off. Have you checked it out? All old boats will have their problems and these boats don't have much coring relatively speaking. If it's anything like ours, evidence of water leaks will be very obvious. Check the usual suspects - jib car, deck hardware, chainplates, mast base and cable entries. Also opening hull windows - if the boat has them - seem like a stupid idea and probably are but they keep the boat amazingly ventilated in warmer climes. Past leakage from these will be readily apparent.

A friend of mine is dead keen on a 38 after seeing our 33 (needs the additional head room) but the darn things in general are as rare as hen's teeth which means that sometimes you have to take what you can get if the price / work required numbers can be made to add up if this is the boat for you.

In case your not familiar with the site, sailboatdata.com has some specs on the NI38

NANTUCKET ISLAND 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 16:57   #6

I have only seen here from the dock, she looks nice from there and talking to one of the other cruisers there evidently the owner is very handy and has put a lot of work into her! I will definitely be looking at her and will optimistically cautious! There aren't many boats over here that are available, so if she's not getting ready to sink (exaggeration intended) she may fit the bill! Good for me is that there aren't many buyers either! Time will tell....
Old 06-11-2016, 01:35   #7

Hallo i have to sell a very good Nantucket 38 with new sails and new renovation...
Zenfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 01:39   #8

I have to sell a Nantucket 38 in a very good condition. Sail is new and Antifouling too.
Zenfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Zenfisher.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:17   #10

Zenfisher, I would love to see some pictures if you have them or a link to them.
Old 05-11-2017, 00:57   #11

Benfavorite,

Did you buy the Okinawa boat? There is a now a black(?)-hulled Nantucket 38 in Okinawa for sale. I'm in the market for a 38-42 foot cruising vessel-no sure of which design yet- and live in Tokyo. I came across a Nantucket 38 at the docks today near Tokyo and asked about the boat. He too is selling.

Warren Fraser
wfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:05   #12

I have owned S/V Polonica (Nantucket Island 38) for 4 years now. Sailed her around Hawaii and then over to California which we sailed SF Bay for a year and now we are in Half Moon Bay where unfortunately we have put her up for sale. If there are any questions about this type of vessel, hit me up. No issues that where previously mentioned are present or have I noticed, she is very sea kindly and the only design flaw that I can think of is that the engine must be hoisted up in order to get the shaft out. The skeg is to close and prohibits external shaft removal. So, make sure you replace your cutlas regularly( couple years) or you will have to hoist the engine, remove shaft internally and then finally cut the cutless bearing out because it has corroded internally...issues I ran into at her last haul out in 2015. These are incredibly strong vessels, I believe they are hand laid and when I drilled a hole for solar wiring into the hull just below the teak gunnels. I found that it was about an inch and a half thick!

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/...492155256.html
Polonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 04:41   #13

I did not end up purchasing the Nantucket 38, just a little out of my price range. She’s still available, but I have found another boat here in Okinawa. 1989 Tayana 37, just bought her on the 22nd of June. Like all older boats she has things that need to be done....but she is going to be sailed, and the projects will get taken care of as time permits or necessity demands.
Old 28-08-2018, 21:56   #14

Boat: Nantucket Island 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfavorite View Post
So, I would consider myself a rookie. I do have sailing experience, but not a ton! Mostly small...laser, sunfish...but also a week long charter ona 42' Beneteau and day sailing a Bavaria 39 and a Catalina 320. Now I have my sights set on a Nantucket Island 38. There aren't many out there and info is hard to find. Anyone have any knowledge or inputs?

Greetings, been watching the Cruisers Forum for a few years now and enjoying the extra knowledge and nuggets of gold I have found here, so let me start by saying thanks! Hopefully I can give something back here. I would like to be upfront and say I do have the boat for sale, but that’s not what I am doing here, promoting selling my boat, but rather shedding some light onto a little know sailboat design that I have grown rather fond of and why? I am so impressed by this boat design that I actually created a website that sheds a little more light on a really rare and unique classic sailing yacht, with origins from the “Land Down Under”, crafted by Artisans in Taiwan. Nantucket Island Yachts – Nantucket Island Sailboat
Long story short, I spotted my first Nantucket Island 38’ on Lake Michigan some 30 yrs. ago. At that time her name was SV XIPHIAS, which essentially means “Swordfish”. She was sleek, smooth and sophisticated looking. At the dock I was able to get closer and my idea of what a proper cruising yacht under 40’ should consist of, forever changed. Our paths crossed again in Florida last winter and she was on the market and I was in the market, so I wrote the check…. However her name had changed to SV Jingles, which was appropriate, given the owners name, but didn’t fit me at all.
I know some folks say it’s bad juju to change a boats name, and most tend to go with names of ladies…
I have two daughters and a wife of 35 yrs. My options were call it Annette, which just didn’t fit this boat, or…. name it after one of my daughters, essentially creating WW3 with the other…..so I did what any smart granddad would do, I tossed the hot potato over to my two grandsons……the only name that they could agree on……”PaPa” which is what they call me.
Which leaves me with a question; if a boat has a males name do you call it a “He”?
Sorry I’m from Montana and we tend to get off on bunny trails sometimes.
Ok, back to the Nantucket Island Sailboats. Stumbling upon this design at the beginning of my interest in sailboats pretty much ruined it for me for many years. Few sailing vessels under 50’ compared in the feeling when you’re aboard. Sleek smooth lines, clean and sharp, looked like it was moving when it was sitting still. This boat broke the mold to what I had seen everywhere else. Flush decks were the first thing I noticed, clear clean and uncluttered, you could move around fast on this boat without tripping over stuff. Perfect for single handling, this is why most racing sailing vessels have flush decks today. The really cool thing about this boat is guest can ride on the aft deck looking forward as the Captain does his thing, or turn around and face aft and watch your wake trailing off into the distance. There is plenty of room for entertaining on deck, or spreading out and taking in some sunshine. Few other sailboats can match this ability as most of the deck is taken up by the cabin sticking up out of the decks. In a blow, a flush deck can take heavy seas with much less of a pounding as the seas simply wash over the decks, instead of around the cabin. Locating the cockpit in the center of the boat up high where you could see 360 degrees around the boat increased safety exponentially! It also meant a drier ride in heavy seas. The cockpit on a Nantucket Island 38 is large enough to sleep in, or for 8 adults. The hull design is modern, fast and stable in heavy seas, yet still nimble and able to safely sail in the Caribbean and Bahamas. The Sloop rigged vessel is easy to manage and points well with the correct head sails trimmed properly. She is fairly quick and in my opinion well founded in spite of her shoal draft, because they are heavily ballasted. The keel is encapsulated FRP which means no keel bolts to shear off! This can result in a really bad day, especially a thousand miles from shore. Even if you ran her up on a reef and the keel was grinding on the rocks, the keel will remain and the hull will not take on water as the keel has been sealed off from the bilge. The bow section is super stout bronze castings, which almost looks like a battering ram. I pity any other boat that drags anchor and ends up against the bow of a Nantucket Island Yacht. The ground tackle arrangement on the Nantucket Island obviously was designed by someone who lived at anchor before. The engine room is located right under the center cockpit which allows excellent access to everything mechanical and most electrical. Having spent time dangling upside down on friend’s boat trying to fix this or that, it has become increasingly important, the older I get to be able to properly maintain it. On a Nantucket Island Sailboat, there is 300 degree access to the propulsion system. About the only place you don’t have access is from below as the hull is in the way. There are large removable panels in the alleyway and companionway, Port and Starboard, as well as access from forward under the steps to the cockpit. Aft access is through a door in the Masters Cabin.
I have been on many sailboats and few feel as spacious as a Nantucket Island Yacht. The 33 footer seems as though you’re on a 40 footer and the 38 footer seems like a 50 foot monohull. Form follows Function in this design and it seems to flow very well. The Galley is very well thought out and offers plenty of space to prepare and serve meals. Compared to most other sailing yachts in this class, the Galley design is probably the best I have encountered and has been confirmed by some with far more experience than I process. The Salon is forward and offers ample room for six adults; the adjacent Settee can also be utilized, as the table is expandable to facilitate the Settee, which can seat another three to four adults, depending on the version of vessel, 33’ or 38’. Better yet the table can be lowered and a berth for two unfolds. Cabinets and bookcases are on both the Port and Starboard sides, providing plenty of storage space. Moving forward is a VBerth on the 33’ and a forward Head on the 38’ version of the Nantucket Island. Chain locker is in the Bow section.
Saving the best for last is the Aft Stateroom, which I feel is very spacious and luxurious for a sailing yacht in this class. A queen size berth along with a decent size Settee provides comfortable long term living quarters. There is plenty of storage in this area as well as well as the rest of the yacht. The teak joinery in the Nantucket Island speaks of quality and thousands of man hours to create, fit and finish is excellent. The cost to duplicate this interior today is very expensive. When you add everything up, in my opinion, the Nantucket Island is in a class of classics. The Nantucket Island is a unique design, well-engineered, quality build, excellent craftsmanship, which equates to a very functional vessel, which also just happens to be one of the best looking, in the Bay.

WildfireWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nantucket