Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 24-11-2015, 07:23   #1

Wanting to tickets the plunge with a Nantucket Island 38

So, I would consider myself a rookie. I do have sailing experience, but not a ton! Mostly small...laser, sunfish...but also a week long charter ona 42' Beneteau and day sailing a Bavaria 39 and a Catalina 320. Now I have my sights set on a Nantucket Island 38. There aren't many out there and info is hard to find. Anyone have any knowledge or inputs?

Old 24-11-2015, 20:14   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Wanting to tickets the plunge with a Nantucket Island 38

If you don't have the skill to assess the vessel yourself hire a surveyor. Just keep in mind a surveyor is essentially held harmless for anything he misses.

Old 25-11-2015, 05:19   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Peter Cole design. Not many 38's but a lot more 33's were built. A 38 is basically a scaled up 33. As an owner of a 33 I quite like the somewhat quirky design. Amazing space down below and a cockpit you can sleep in at the expense of locker storage and coaming height. Sail ok (Peter Cole was a designer of many racing boats), but they don't point particularly high. A lot were built in Taiwan but some were built in Australia. Not sure what constructional differences are, but our Aussie built unit has a solid hull and deck with foam cored stringers. The foredeck, chainplate knees and bilge stringers are plywood cored so check these for rot.

The main issue is deck leaks or port leaks damaging the interior woodwork over time. Make sure you close the ports when sailing! The bilges are shallow which tends to allow water to slosh around so check underneath the engine and at the base of the mast support for excessive corrosion.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 25-11-2015, 16:13   #4

Thanks for the input Reefmagnet...hate to know how you got that handle!.....its things like you mentioned that concern me. Plywood rot in bilge stringers sounds like a nightmare! I'm in Okinawa Japan (so is the boat) so trying to repair something like that sounds like an insurmountable task! Of course, the issue of quality surveyors is an unknown as well. Pretty early in this process so I'll be patient, I would just love to get out on the water! It would be beautiful sailing around the Ryukyu Islands. But this is exactly the input I knew I would get from Cruisers Forum....what to look out for.....what is acceptable and not.

Thanks
Old 25-11-2015, 17:49   #5

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfavorite View Post
Thanks for the input Reefmagnet...hate to know how you got that handle!.....its things like you mentioned that concern me. Plywood rot in bilge stringers sounds like a nightmare! I'm in Okinawa Japan (so is the boat) so trying to repair something like that sounds like an insurmountable task! Of course, the issue of quality surveyors is an unknown as well. Pretty early in this process so I'll be patient, I would just love to get out on the water! It would be beautiful sailing around the Ryukyu Islands. But this is exactly the input I knew I would get from Cruisers Forum....what to look out for.....what is acceptable and not.

Thanks
Ahhh, don't let that put you off. Have you checked it out? All old boats will have their problems and these boats don't have much coring relatively speaking. If it's anything like ours, evidence of water leaks will be very obvious. Check the usual suspects - jib car, deck hardware, chainplates, mast base and cable entries. Also opening hull windows - if the boat has them - seem like a stupid idea and probably are but they keep the boat amazingly ventilated in warmer climes. Past leakage from these will be readily apparent.

A friend of mine is dead keen on a 38 after seeing our 33 (needs the additional head room) but the darn things in general are as rare as hen's teeth which means that sometimes you have to take what you can get if the price / work required numbers can be made to add up if this is the boat for you.

In case your not familiar with the site, sailboatdata.com has some specs on the NI38

NANTUCKET ISLAND 38 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Old 25-11-2015, 17:57   #6

I have only seen here from the dock, she looks nice from there and talking to one of the other cruisers there evidently the owner is very handy and has put a lot of work into her! I will definitely be looking at her and will optimistically cautious! There aren't many boats over here that are available, so if she's not getting ready to sink (exaggeration intended) she may fit the bill! Good for me is that there aren't many buyers either! Time will tell....
Old 06-11-2016, 02:35   #7

Hallo i have to sell a very good Nantucket 38 with new sails and new renovation...
Old 06-11-2016, 02:39   #8

I have to sell a Nantucket 38 in a very good condition. Sail is new and Antifouling too.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:55   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Zenfisher.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17   #10

Zenfisher, I would love to see some pictures if you have them or a link to them.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:57   #11

Benfavorite,

Did you buy the Okinawa boat? There is a now a black(?)-hulled Nantucket 38 in Okinawa for sale. I'm in the market for a 38-42 foot cruising vessel-no sure of which design yet- and live in Tokyo. I came across a Nantucket 38 at the docks today near Tokyo and asked about the boat. He too is selling.

Warren Fraser

Tags
nantucket

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: