Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2007, 13:36   #16

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
Yes - you're right of course.

I've changed my mind I'll have this one instead.

Should be just enough for Penny & me.
yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 13:41   #17

?? Why not as a cruising boat? Looks fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I thought this thread was about the best cruising yacht? How the hell are you and the missus going to cruise that bundle of nervous energy unless you have a Harem?

Actually....

Hmmm....

Is it for sale?

Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 13:46   #18

The Oysters are pretty nice cruising boats. I agree the 56 or 62 would be fun to sail a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I would think many people would like an Oyster of manageable size, say 50 ft. etc.
They are made for short handed sailing and are quite nice below.

I am not a fan of Swans as a cruising boat. They are quite brutal below, difficult to sail and really ought be left to racing people. They should put out a cruising range and have someone sensible run it.

Mark
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 13:59   #19

Boat: custom 75' ferro yacht
Seriously - the Oyster range of boats have always been appealing cruising yachts.

This one the 53 - has the sort of configuration - that I like - with the high safe and roomy, centre console (needs a roof for cruising) - and that stern boarding area.

yachtrodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 15:40   #20

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Tried starting a thread like this before with the same results. Too many variables to contemplate . . . too many arguments for and against each choice. But for the vast majority who have big dreams and not limitless pockets . . you could do (a lot) worse than a Rustler, Lord Nelson, Tradewind, Indrid, Valiant, Passport, Hylas, Cabo Rico, Crealock, Hans Christian (and many more). There's a thread posted in the last while by Anne Gibson that addresses the best boat issue . . but looking for the best boat for her and her husband, for their age, budget and intentions. She's getting great advice on this forum. . . I guess the best boat in the world is the one that's best for . . . you.
Old 17-12-2007, 20:52   #21
Tom C

I'll try not to be bias. I vote for a Camper Nicholson 35

seriously, it would be hard to pick just one. Too many variables, would depend on budget, needs, likes/dislikes, number of crew available, etc, etc.

Merry Christmas.

Tom

Old 18-12-2007, 00:08   #22
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Yep, probably everyone is right... the best boat in the world is the one we have. We need to have that confidence in our own tub to do serious work at sea. And when you really look at it there are many good yachts now that will take on the oceans when its owner has the love of that boat, and a splish splash of seamanship chucked in.

(Buy I still want one I can't afford!)

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 01:44   #23

Yep horses for courses...the little H28 has probably done more cruising miles that any other boat.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 03:57   #24

Boat: B24
<horses for courses...>

Might be interesting to sorta re-ask the question; “what criteria or yardsticks would be best to decide on one’s perfect blue-water vessel…”

I remember reading in some publication where a couple was chartering somewhere in warm climes and spending a mirthful few moments poking fun at at the looks of a Buccaneer 26 (in think they were) that had sailed down from the US, until someone pointed out that the Buccaneer folks were sailing in their own boat and seemed in no big hurry to go anywhere, and the charterers would have to return to real-life by the next weekend… horses for courses... strokes fer folks…
Old 18-12-2007, 04:18   #25

Gozzard 37, Cheoy Lee 38 or PSC 38 for a crew of 2

PSC 27 Orion or Flika for solo sailors.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 05:25   #26

Boat: Tartan 37C "Windgeist"
Valiant 40, no question

Windgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 10:25   #27

Well, if we're talking seaworthiness, internal capacity, stability fully loaded, and relative ease of construction...I might have to suggest...

the Ark

hehehe. and yes, I understand that some will dispute the accuracy of accounts of her maiden voyage

hehehe.

If we want to get serious about this thread tho, going to have to start with some kind of initial parameters...i.e. size of crew, cruising where?, at least with those two we could get a bit more focus.

I think for the 55plus ish crew of two, doing the round a bout, something in the 40 to 50 foot range would be about optimum, ketch or cutter rigged with obligatory furling-or in the alternative, a free standing collapseable rotating wing setup; PH or at least hard dodger, I'm partial to steel but a solid fibre hull would suffice, mono as opposed to cat (survivability unaided), stern or at least heavy skeg protected rudder, 5 to 6' draft, perhaps a bilge keeled boat for unaided remote bottom maintenance; inside steering capability, solar, windgen, modern bat banks, sufficient gen set, on demand water heater (with small to med engine heated tank), max prop, redundant electronics, engine driven with aux 12 volt multiplate refrig/AC splendide W/D; 150 gals or so of water and fuel, flush deck, lots of raised stainless cleats, samsons on the bow and both quarters, combo chock/scuppers, stainless toe rail, etc. etc etc....

seer
Seeratlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 10:54   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
Please don't take this the way it may sound but there are so many good ones, it would be a dubious statement to choose the best. This might come close though:

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale
Although not the fastest as claimed, certainly one of the most magnificent.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 14:57   #29

How are the Beneteau Oceanis range of boats for coastal as well as deep blue/offshore sailing?? My friend was thinking about the 44 or 46 of that range.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 16:06   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow View Post
How are the Beneteau Oceanis range of boats for coastal as well as deep blue/offshore sailing?? My friend was thinking about the 44 or 46 of that range.
Fine. They are certified in all offshore categories. Don't believe the bull about them not being certified, or capable of that certification... imagine the field day lawyers would have if the bulls*** you hear from the anti-bene brigade was true!

That 46 was at out boatshow here in Sydney and looked excellent.
All in their range above 35 look good. Some of the finishings (hidden and partialy hidden edges of) could be a bit better and a bit of sandpaper will come in handy, but compared to Bavaria and other production boats I feel the Beneteau are streets ahead.
If you are going to be doing extensive arctic / Antarctic expedition work then you may be more comfortable in a Swan (for 5 times the price!)
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, cruising, sailboat