Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2006, 18:07   #1

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Volvo on Chesapeake

Is anyone planning some sailing around the Volvo round the world stuff when they come through Baltimore? I live far from the Annapolis area, but would consider sailing there, if I know anyone here is doing anything -- perhaps we can have a meet/beer around either arrival or some boats, or the local race, or the departure. Or else does anyone need crew -- I could potentially drive to Annapolis or baltimore and serve as deck hand on anybody's boat.

Eugene
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 22:54   #2

Eugene.

Are you referring to this?

Volvo Ocean Race 2005-2006

Across The Equator

Lizzie GREEN (As Amended By ISAF). Image, Brasil 1's efforts have been paying off over the past twelve hours:© Brasil 1, 09 April 2006

The whole Volvo Ocean fleet have crossed the equator are into the Northern Hemisphere, as they race towards Baltimore, USA and the leg five finish. ABN AMRO ONE continues to lead by just over ten miles, with the last twelve hours seeing the black boat and movistar extend the gap back to the chasing pack, now headed by Brasil 1.

The existing north east trade winds are allowing the fleet to maintain a direct north westerly course towards Baltimore. At this moment in time, the Volvo 70’s are positioned in three clusters.
To the east, Bouwe BEKKING’s (NED) movistar and Sebastien JOSSE’s (FRA) ABN AMRO TWO continue to pursue the trail of ABN AMRO ONE and Mike SANDERSON (NZL). In the middle of the group, John KOSTECKI’s (USA) Ericsson is tracking the path of Paul CAYARD’s (USA) Pirates of the Caribbean. Meanwhile, Torben GRAEL’s (BRA) Brasil 1 has ventured 20 miles further west of the fleet.
This tactical manoeuvre by the Brazilians seems to have paid off. In the last six hours Brasil 1 have managed to gain yet another step up the current leg leaderboard, by fighting their way past Pirates of the Caribbean to take third position.
King Neptune has so far allowed the fleet a gentle, but steady passage through this notorious patch of ocean, where lack of wind can sometimes keep boats floundering for days. Fortunately, the equatorial current should now be running in the same direction as the fleet, also helping them on their way north west.

For a complete list of all the news about the Volvo Ocean Race 2005-2006 CLICK HERE.

http://www.sailing.org/

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 13:49   #3

Boat: O'day 23 "Mon Ami"
Yes, that's what I was talking about.

I think it is hard to plan something for any arival, although I saw in Sailing an amazing picture of a "picture" finish in Wellington harbor a month or 2 ago, when the first 2 boats (I think they were the first) were separated only be 6 seconds, and it was a "picture" finish.... I don't know whether the little race they have setup on the Chesapeake is easy to be a spectator boat in, but I would give anything to see one of these beasts up close under sail.
hammerfelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 16:49   #4

I'm sure alot of us on the forum would love to see one of those beasts up close. (Providing it's not going to ram into you?)

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:37   #5

Boat: Island Yachts Peterson 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfelt
Is anyone planning some sailing around the Volvo round the world stuff when they come through Baltimore?
I will be driving from New Hampshire down to Annapolis, where my boat GREYHAWK currently is docked, the last weekend in April, to spectate at the Volvo "In Port" race.

Regards,

Tim
Catamount is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo