Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2010, 10:16   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Mark, well spotted and as the sun has just set this side of the pond I clearly need another drink purely for medicinal purposes you understand.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 14:12   #47
cruiser

Some folks get lucky . Most don't.
Beware the slow idle. It is hard on the damper plate.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 19:07   #48

Boat: bavaria 46 - CharMel
Ihave a volvo D2-75 saildrive and have had no problems with it over four years.
charmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 20:48   #49

Boat: Pearson 40
Lately I have been experiencing the following issue:
Diesel runs somewhat rough when first started at low, idle, neutral but normal at over 800 rpm or so.

After running for about 4-5 minutes, low neutral idle becomes fine, no more rough idling.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? They would be very appreciated!

Cheers
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 21:39   #50

Boat: Lidgard 38ft Sloop - Estrellita 2
In the late '70's an aquaintance bought a "SeaTruck", a sort of small landing craft, which he intended to use for recreational diving charter work in the Sudanese Red Sea. This had twin turbocharged Volvo's (I think 175 HP) He and his wife delivered this to Sudan from the manufacturer in the UK. One engine consistently overheated. What should have been a 3 week trip became a 9 month nightmare. No help from Volvo or their agents whatsoever, despite warranty etc. He eventually made it to the Sudan on one engine, badly out of pocket and hating all things Volvo. He wrote an article for "Motor Boat and Yachting" describing his journey (and not skimping on details of the engine problems) The editor at the time (an old friend) had just accepted a 7 page glossy Volvo advert for a new range of engines. He forwarded the article to Volvo who promptly chartered an aircraft and freighted a new engine to the Sudan with 2 engineers to install it. Of course the article was revised and all mention of engine problems removed........................
Charlie Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 00:14   #51
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
I don't see why a Volvo engine would be a deal breaker to buying what is otherwise your ideal boat.
Right now, we have a Yanmar engine in the boat, if I had my time again I would have got a Nanni, we got the Yanmar because we heard a lot of great things about it's performance, fuel consumption etc, while it performs as advertised, the turbo on it just doesn't last, the turbo on the current engine lasted 450 hours before it had to be replaced.
The reason for a Nanni, they use Toyota blocks as a base for the size engine we require.

My only quam with Volvo engines, they can be hard at times to get parts for, even if you get a fully factory qualified Volvo mechanic, at times they have to wait a week to get the part you need, which really sucks when all you want to do is get back on the water.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:56   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

1972 Volvo MD2B..... best damn deisel engine I ever owned... prefered it to the Yanmars I've had since... the simplicity and hand start... a god send if you lose elec's lol

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 17:04   #53
cruiser

Japanese engines and their dealers can be found around the world. All stock parts , extremely cheap and readily available locally . Volvo and most European diesel dealers don't stock any parts, and if you need anything, you have to wait months for them to arrive from Europe,and they are extremely expensive.
Old 08-01-2011, 17:28   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Brent Swain said:
Quote:
Japanese engines and their dealers can be found around the world. All stock parts , extremely cheap and readily available locally . Volvo and most European diesel dealers don't stock any parts, and if you need anything, you have to wait months for them to arrive from Europe,and they are extremely expensive.
Mark said:
Quote:
Please to meet you Brent ... Glad I could help. I wouldn't want you to be seen by the readership here as a reactionary person prone to disjointed hyperbole containing few actual facts.

Mark
Well said Mark. Thank you.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 00:51   #55

Volvo (The green death)

We have had two boats with Volvos.

First a new boat with a 2003T, from day one it blew smoke like a 10 packet a day chain smoker. Volvo refused to acknowledge any problem.
It was within their specification limits was their response.

Motoring down wind was a case of on with the respirators and if idling in the marina, on with the radar to find your pen.

Sold the boat when it was 5 years old and last I heard was the new owner had the motor stripped down and was working on it.

Next boat was a cruiser with 2 x AQD30's. Nearly sent me broke with constant problems. From turbochargers, to heat exchangers, oil coolers, elbows, etc.

For me it would be a deal breaker if I saw another potential boat with a Volvo.

Current boat powered by a 23hp Kubota.

Sweetest little thing you have ever heard.

KenM
Get-a-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 13:56   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get-a-Life View Post
We have had two boats with Volvos.

First a new boat with a 2003T, from day one it blew smoke like a 10 packet a day chain smoker. Volvo refused to acknowledge any problem.
It was within their specification limits was their response.

Motoring down wind was a case of on with the respirators and if idling in the marina, on with the radar to find your pen.

Sold the boat when it was 5 years old and last I heard was the new owner had the motor stripped down and was working on it.

Next boat was a cruiser with 2 x AQD30's. Nearly sent me broke with constant problems. From turbochargers, to heat exchangers, oil coolers, elbows, etc.

For me it would be a deal breaker if I saw another potential boat with a Volvo.

Current boat powered by a 23hp Kubota.

Sweetest little thing you have ever heard.

KenM
Here are your facts , Mark, as repeated by almost every Volvo owner I have personally met, or known .
Old 10-01-2011, 15:10   #57

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I currently have a Volvo D1-20 (a rebadged Perkins) Lovely motor - smooth and quiet - but it has only done about 400 hours. A past boat had a 2000 series (2002) which was also a great motor but didn't like idling when cold. Had to warm it up for a minute before reversing out of the marina otherwise it would stall - embarrassing! The only other motor I have experience with was a Yanmah 2QM15 which was noisy with lots of fumes - but it was 30 years old so it had probably done OK.

Tags
volvo